• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Left handgun in backpack at restaurant

bmg50cal

For those who are wondering......and it's the first thing I thought of before I joined the OC chat......I'm a Noob to this forum, not a retread trying to soften the scolding for the error of my ways. Quite honestly it's never happened before and it'll never happen again. I haven't picked a holster for the XDs I was carrying that day, so I opted for one of my 5.11 carry packs which I usually use on the trails, mountains etc. It'll take 10-14 days to reclaim from the PD evidence compound, because they require another background check before they'll release it:mad:! An obvious waste of time since my CP would allow me to buy another pistol with a 5 minute wait period.:confused: IMO the concealable 5.11 packs work great for deep woods, high country etc. when my 44 magnum bear repellant is too cumbersome to holster for vertical climbs or sliding down on your rear. Until then I guess my holstered Kimber tight to my ribs will have to make do. Happy shooting everyone.:lol:

I have a KA-BAR TDI fanny pack, I don't use it too much but I can easily hide a full size (4.25") S&W M&P in it when I'm in light clothing and normal belt carry just isn't going to work. 5.11 also makes a nice fanny pack.

Difdi

What on earth do you need for day-to-day life that it adds up to THIRTY TWO POUNDS???

Well, it started off considerably lighter. But then it occurred to me that while what I had in there was adequate to most every day needs, it wasn't good for much beyond that. So I started thinking about what to put in it, one thing led to another, and the end result was what I carry now.

Most of it I don't need on a daily basis. What's in the pack is basically my disaster preparedness kit, plus more mundane stuff like wallet, keys and handkerchief. Having a disaster kit is great; Having it 20 miles away when the disaster hits isn't so great. The pack forms the core of my disaster kit, the essentials I wouldn't want to be without in a major emergency. I have another 30lb pack (front sling pack) which serves as my go-to-hell bag, with the bulk of my food, tent, sleeping bag, etc. Between the two, I can hit the woods for 20+ days on 30 seconds notice, year-round.

While 32lbs is a bit hefty, I'm so used to it, I only notice its absence these days.

Last edited:

Venya

I have a UTG knock-off of a Maxpedition Fatboy that served as my tactical diaper bag for a while. Access time was decent with practice. Great for trips to the zoo, etc., but it did get awkward occasionally, never taking it off. (This was before I started OCing.)

davidmcbeth

Banned
If it ever happens again. Call and report it. It's not a crime to misplace a gun. It bothers me that someone would misplace a gun, especially in public. But as they say expletives happen.... A guy on THR, placed his gun and mag on the roof of his car. Went to work and realized that afternoon his gun was missing. Someone found it on the expressway and turned it in to police. Nothing came of it. But if you don't report, you could be responsible for bad things down the road. Since you know its at the police station. Take your ID, receipt, whatever you have to prove ownership and collect it. You'll think twice next time.

They still won't give him the gun .. a receipt? He could have sold it the next day, right? Look in LA after Katrina, people still can't get their guns back.

Once the police have your guns it is hard or can be impossible to get them back. Cops that actually use common sense are few and far between...

If the cops have the gun it will go into their inventory if not claimed.

Steveboos

They still won't give him the gun .. a receipt? He could have sold it the next day, right? Look in LA after Katrina, people still can't get their guns back.

Once the police have your guns it is hard or can be impossible to get them back. Cops that actually use common sense are few and far between...

If the cops have the gun it will go into their inventory if not claimed.

Well...Did you purchase it? Yes. Do you have a receipt? Yes. Are the serial numbers intact and matching with your place of purchase? Yes. Alright then the gun is yours, here you go!

If they don't give it back to you, then talk to the Sergeant, Lieutenant, or Commander and GET IT BACK.

SeattleWingsfan

Agreed... The weapons thing from Katrina is a bit different. Many of those weapons were confiscated. Not lost and found. There are laws here in Washington regarding personal property, posession and requirements of the police as well as limits of actions and timelines relating to things in their posession. I believe RCW 63 someethin. I'm on phone now kinda hard to look up. You will most likely have to file for a release form. In pierce they do the background check in 48 hours. Under law if you can show ownership even after they sell or dispose of it, your entitled to compensation for like 3 years.

Cubex DE

Yeah, the extra 10 days is BS. Go back there, tell them it's your gun and you can prove it, and that you do not consent to its seizure or a background check. GET IT BACK.

MKEgal

jandrew said:
It'll take 10-14 days to reclaim from the PD evidence compound, because they require another background check before they'll release it!
An obvious waste of time since my CP would allow me to buy another pistol with a 5 minute wait period.
If they run someone they meet on the street, it takes a couple minutes.
There is no reason you should have to wait 2 weeks.
Suggestions:
1) Go up the chain of command
2) Contact your elected representative
3) Contact a lawyer
And it's been my experience (2 different PDs) that yes, they do have to run a BG check before releasing firearms.
Or if it's not actually a law, it's ingrained long-standing policy across the spectrum of LEA.

sharkey

I laugh at back pack concealed carry, but with this you can do it with mall ninja style.

[video=youtube;j0FMspTizyU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0FMspTizyU[/video]

I just know if I did that my gun would go flying.

ETA: I just watched the long version, I see the retention. I like the armor. Once someone knows how this works it's easy to spot the ripcord, and I would be so tempted to pull the ripcord.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I just know if I did that my gun would go flying.

ETA: I just watched the long version, I see the retention. I like the armor. Once someone knows how this works it's easy to spot the ripcord, and I would be so tempted to pull the ripcord.

I think it was WalkingWolf that suggested earlier something about a demonstration - are you volunteering?

I would never, ever consider putting hands on a fellow LAC with the goal/intent of messing with his gun........not even as a joke. Not funny - rather foolish and dangerous IMO.

WalkingWolf

I think it was WalkingWolf that suggested earlier something about a demonstration - are you volunteering?

I would never, ever consider putting hands on a fellow LAC with the goal/intent of messing with his gun........not even as a joke. Not funny - rather foolish and dangerous IMO.

+1

Jeff Hayes

That could be a good way to get bugged, two times in rapid succession, not a good idea at all. + 1 on the not funny part.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Yeah nothing like taking responsibility for your own acts as it is easier to try and justify it away and act like no harm no foul! Bull :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
It appears your view point is to be an apologist for the stupid.

Who said people shouldn't take responsibility for their own acts? Yes it should be no harm no foul, this is the basis of our common law legal system that statist and positivist want to destroy while destroying liberty in the process.

But apparently you can walk on water and never have made any mistakes. :rolleyes: And to judge someone as stupid because of one stupid act shows you are falling into the anti's trap as Citizen had stated.

A gun is a tool just like any other tool.

Like MSG said they'll get a good razzing though. I hope the OP comes to Starbucks I promise not all of us are judgmental and arrogant.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Who said people shouldn't take responsibility for their own acts? Yes it should be no harm no foul, this is the basis of our common law legal system that statist and positivist want to destroy while destroying liberty in the process.

But apparently you can walk on water and never have made any mistakes. :rolleyes: And to judge someone as stupid because of one stupid act shows you are falling into the anti's trap as Citizen had stated.

A gun is a tool just like any other tool.

Like MSG said they'll get a good razzing though. I hope the OP comes to Starbucks I promise not all of us are judgmental and arrogant.

Broken Record Yak Yak Yak Yak that misquotes others to spew his rhetoric.

sharkey

Relax, temptation is part of life. I don't acquiesce to every temptation.