• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO gave me a ticket...

w07rolla

A little update, I wanted everyone to know that I have hired new counsel for my appeal. I will be represented by Drew, better known as, olypendrew. Drew really knows his stuff and I think this choice was in my best interest, thank you Drew from offering your services to me.

Josh

JoeSparky

Centurion
A little update, I wanted everyone to know that I have hired new counsel for my appeal. I will be represented by Drew, better known as, olypendrew. Drew really knows his stuff and I think this choice was in my best interest, thank you Drew from offering your services to me.

Josh

I continue to wish you well with the continued MISCARRIAGE OF JUSTICE you are experiencing!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

Josh

Bingo Bango now you are talking, good choice.

tombrewster421

Josh

Between you and me, Drew is going to have his hands full. I'm so glad we have him here to help us out. Good luck to you. I am confident that you will be able to show the gov. who they really work for.

Jeff Hayes

I know about the forum rules, but there have been mentions of Spencer several times, and people seem to forget that Spencer was all about the carrying of a RIFLE, not the handgun he had legally concealed. The court noted that he was legally carrying the pistol and didn't seem to even shrug at that.

If we are going to chat up Spencer regarding Open Carry, keep in perspective what Spencer was openly carrying.

Casad is the same situation. He was toting long guns. Packing a handgun in a responsible manner (and there's no guidelines on what exactly defines that) does not seem to get much attention from the courts. That's as it should be.

But...and there's that word, again...if people here want to start pushing the envelope with their mode of carry, their behavior, even their clothing, eventually someone is going to cross that imaginary line and the result could be a court precedent that affects everyone. Best to keep that in perspective.

And maybe that leads us into an area that ought to be discussed. Reasonably, rationally and sensibly. Maybe it is overdue for discussion.

The trial hasn't even been held in Vancouver on the Kirby case, and there is enough vagueness about his alleged behavior leading up to the initial police contact that I wouldn't take any bets right now on whether he will be found guilty or not guilty.

Now, about the other Vancouver case. We're talking about 10 p.m., pretty empty parking lot of a mall shopping area in which all the stores were closed, it is SNOWING (when it would seem to me that a prudent person just "might" want to cover up his expensive handgun to protect it from the weather) and this is happening outside of a pizza joint that had recently been the target of a robber.

The thread on that caper has sort of wound up presently with a discussion about the value or liability of appearing "confrontational" and some of you guys better pay attention to that because the court of public opinion is a nasty environment, and it is pretty easy to lose there. All you need to do is be bluster-stupid. Just once. For even just a moment.

None of us were there on the night Mr. Watson (aka w07rolla, the op) so we aren't exactly certain what happened. We all know how the jury decided, and that jury was not anti-gun. Meaning no disrespect to Watson, but starting an argument with a police officer while you are armed is typically a losing proposition, not just for the individual, but for every other armed citizen. Good luck on your appeal because it has the potential to impact a whole lot of people.

Attitude and demeanor have a great deal to do with how any encounter with a police officer or sheriff's deputy is going to turn out. It's called, in police parlance, the "attitude test." I've seen a lot of people flunk that one, and a lot of other people pass with flying colors. Try looking up Chris Rock's "How Not to get your ass kicked by the cops" video (it's hilarious) and learn something from it.

Firearms owners as a community need to be able to be less immediately defensive of our own and more analytical until we know more about some specific situation. In Tom Brewster's situation down in Spanaway, we had the benefit of a recording of the encounter. 99% of the time that doesn't happen.

Keep in mind, I write about this stuff a lot, and deal with all kinds of people who have run into trouble with the law over some gun-related problem. I really hate writing about or dealing with some poor guy who screwed up from the get-go, but on the other hand, I don't have much sympathy for them, either.

< Flame suit on. >

Dave thanks for your opinion, but frankly thats all it is. I find this opinion similar to your opinion that no one should OC to the assault weapons ban hearing at the capitol as they may find them selves asked to leave or worse. BTW I have taken your opinion with a big grain of salt ever since.

I find it incredulous that you or anyone else for that matter would suggest that a lawful person going about their business must pass a LEOs attitude test. Thats just about as wrong as it gets.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Josh

That is the best news I have heard in some time. Having read Drew's comments on this forum for the last year, I believe he understands liberty, freedom, and constitutional rights.

deanf

I find it incredulous that you or anyone else for that matter would suggest that a lawful person going about their business must pass a LEOs attitude test.

He's a 1950's authoritarian. Just like Bill O'Reilly. That's why he rubs so many on this forum the wrong way.

Tomas

Josh

I believe that was a good decision, Josh, and I wish you well on appeal!

TechnoWeenie

Dave thanks for your opinion, but frankly thats all it is. I find this opinion similar to your opinion that no one should OC to the assault weapons ban hearing at the capitol as they may find them selves asked to leave or worse. BTW I have taken your opinion with a big grain of salt ever since.

I find Dave's advice sound. 'Discretion is the better part of valor'.... Sometimes you have to pick your battles...

sudden valley gunner

Josh

Good choice!!! And glad you listened to Drew's advice. He get's it and doesn't play the games many lawyers do.

Our rights are inalienable and there is no room for compromise anymore, people get this or they don't.

Jeff Hayes

I find Dave's advice sound. 'Discretion is the better part of valor'.... Sometimes you have to pick your battles...

You OCed at the state capitol for the assault weapon ban hearing. Dave was really clear about how foolish he thought OCing was at the state capitol. Dave stated no one should be surprized if you are asked to leave or worse. Dave also said it would do more harm than good. All of Dave's advice turned out to exactly wrong then and I think he is wrong now. Knowing your rights and standing up for them is the only way things are going to change.

Deanf hit the nail on the head, thanks Dean.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
You OCed at the state capitol for the assault weapon ban hearing. Dave was really clear about how foolish he thought OCing was at the state capitol. Dave stated no one should be surprized if you are asked to leave or worse. Dave also said it would do more harm than good. All of Dave's advice turned out to exactly wrong then and I think he is wrong now. Knowing your rights and standing up for them is the only way things are going to change.

Deanf hit the nail on the head, thanks Dean.

Dave's commin' round..... just like others.... just sayin' :lol:

Jeff Hayes

Dave's commin' round..... just like others.... just sayin' :lol:

I know I know he has also done some really good things for open carry and I appriciate that. All I am doing is pointing out that Dave like the rest of us is sometimes wrong.

I especialy disagree with the "attitude test" part, if you are behaving lawfully EVERY LEO should respect that and that should be the end of the encounter. Passing an attitude test is BS. What Dave is implying here is if you are lawful but your attitude is not correct then not so good things are going to happen to you by the hands of LEOs and you damn well deserve it. Maybe I am reading too much into what Dave said, someone correct me I am all ears.

sudden valley gunner

I know I know he has also done some really good things for open carry and I appriciate that. All I am doing is pointing out that Dave like the rest of us is sometimes wrong.

I especialy disagree with the "attitude test" part, if you are behaving lawfully EVERY LEO should respect that and that should be the end of the encounter. Passing an attitude test is BS. What Dave is implying here is if you are lawful but your attitude is not correct then not so good things are going to happen to you by the hands of LEOs and you damn well deserve it. Maybe I am reading too much into what Dave said, someone correct me I am all ears.

No you are not reading too much into it. Statist are statist.

Dave has come around on a few issues though. He and I argued some time ago about OC also being a 1st amendment right. He absolutely disagreed with this, yet after the Olympia hearing, he stated differently in his article.

His continued arguments against certain aspects, and for not standing up against rogue cops is one reason why SAF won't get any of my support.

amlevin

I especialy disagree with the "attitude test" part, if you are behaving lawfully EVERY LEO should respect that and that should be the end of the encounter. Passing an attitude test is BS.

You are right, passing an "attitude test" in an encounter with a LEO is BS. However we all know that that's not always the way it is. I guess it's a matter of choice though. Copping an attitude with a LEO that is overstepping his bounds is not going to cause the encounter to end soon. Staying calm and collected in thoughts will pay dividends should the officer persist in his "unlawful" behavior. It puts you on a far better footing should a complaint be filed with his department.

Let's face it, we all are put to some kind of an "attitude test" constantly. When dealing with salespeople, public officials, friends, family, casual acquaintances, fellow workers, forum members, etc. If one is branded as having a "bad attitude" it effects the way others relate and interact with them.

Jeff Hayes

You are right, passing an "attitude test" in an encounter with a LEO is BS. However we all know that that's not always the way it is. I guess it's a matter of choice though. Copping an attitude with a LEO that is overstepping his bounds is not going to cause the encounter to end soon. Staying calm and collected in thoughts will pay dividends should the officer persist in his "unlawful" behavior. It puts you on a far better footing should a complaint be filed with his department.

Let's face it, we all are put to some kind of an "attitude test" constantly. When dealing with salespeople, public officials, friends, family, casual acquaintances, fellow workers, forum members, etc. If one is branded as having a "bad attitude" it effects the way others relate and interact with them.

Amlevin I agree with you mostly however there is a big difference between friends, family, coworkers etc and someone whos job is to enforce the law and has the power to detain you. You dont have to deal with any of the other people you list you can simply walk away same thing for them they simply dont have to deal with you if you have an attitude they can leave or ask you to leave that is just not the case when you are detained by a LEO. I am not advocating being rude to anyone nor am I rude to LEOs and I try to not be rude to anyone I meet.

Enough of this lets get back to Josh and his court case.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I some what agree with statements of a smell test.

The comparison of those who you know friends family... and them doing their job which does include those who have attacked, killed officers, beaten, attacked, raped or killed other innocent citizens so this is not a fair one.

Smell test as stated before we all do it, we do it when we are in a dark parking lot, we do it in a situation that could prove to be dangerous to us, or those have that feeling something is wrong all are smell test in my book.

We have several just applying the smell test to this one instance of contact with an open carrier when in fact it is a small fraction of what an Officer encounters on a daily basis.

Passing a smell test is nor more then each of us do when we encounter someone we do not know.

Do I endorse violating ones rights, NO, I do know all involved can influence the contact.

Last edited: