• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaded or unloaded during OC?

oak1971

so there is a hell worse than here?! I thought Illinois was worse, but now I stand corrected!

This hell will be cooling off soon, then Illinois will become the hell of the Midwest, unless they made big gains last night.

Last edited:

oak1971

When we get CC and vehicle carry, I'll have my G17 loaded and charged with 2 extra mags.

Last edited:
M

McX

then Oak it is indeed true! Your my huckleberry! No safer place than around the armed.

oak1971

Kinda Dirty Harry, I can dig it!

I have a thing for revolvers, it goes straight back to Dirty Harry and westerns I watched growing up. Yes I know that's make believe but the revolver is still a good tool today. The only downside is capacity and bulk. 44 mag somewhat mitigates the capacity issue, the bulk is fine for open carry.

My ideal would be OC with my 3 inch 629 Trail Boss, CC with my Glock 17.

M

McX

I have a thing for revolvers, it goes straight back to Dirty Harry and westerns I watched growing up. Yes I know that's make believe but the revolver is still a good tool today. The only downside is capacity and bulk. 44 mag somewhat mitigates the capacity issue, the bulk is fine for open carry.

Yes, many of us were products of the Dirty Harry days! That .44, you know that's the most powerful handgun in the world, blow your head clean off, so you have to ask yourself a question.....i think we can all recite lines from those famous movies.

oak1971

Yes, many of us were products of the Dirty Harry days! That .44, you know that's the most powerful handgun in the world, blow your head clean off, so you have to ask yourself a question.....i think we can all recite lines from those famous movies.

I do feel very lucky indeed, but I'm no punk. :lol:

Rbwhanson

I have found that carrying around a handful of rocks actually get's you more looks than a gun holstered on your hip...try it!

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Welcome to the Forum!

This may sound like a dumb question, sorry. I have a 9mm and was just wondering while OCing can I put a clip in the gun and put a bullet in the chamber? I feel like I shouldn't put a bullet in the chamber for safety reasons...any input would be appreciated.

Hi Godather; welcome to the forum!

First of all, there are no dumb questions; in fact I admire you for seeking information.
:D Now what we need to know is what kind of 9mm you have; you see, each weapon has a certain "Manual of Arms"... just a fancy way of saying a certain way of safe operation.

For example, my Springfield Armory .45 in the classic 1911 model is DESIGNED to be carried with a full magazine inserted, a round in the chamber, and the safety on. My Smith & Wesson SW99 in DA/SA (Double Action/Single Action) is DESIGNED to be carried with a full magazine inserted, a round in the chamber, and decocked (sounds painful but it isn't... ); which just means that the first long, heavy pull of the trigger will cock and then fire the weapon (DA) and after that it cocks itself and the trigger only fires it with a short, light pull(SA). This pistol has no safety lever.

Let us know what you have and in the mean time, find your owner's manual and read and understand it thoroughly. I'm sure that there is an experienced carrier in your neck of the woods who would work with you to boost your knowledge and confidence.
:lol:

Ruby

You may still end up in a casket because of your decision to draw and fire. Incoming fire has the right of way. If your primary concern is not cover and concealment, you are just another target. If you do not have time to chamber a round, odds are that you are already taking fire and it is already too late. No Quickdraw McGraw skills will help you.

I don't buy it. In an armed confrontation, every second counts. All I have to do once I draw it release the safety. I don't want to have to rack the slide in addition to that. Situational awareness is of course of paramount importance so hopefully you don't end up in a bad situation. There is always the possibility that you won't have time. Action beats reaction every time; however I want all the advantages I can get. It's a matter of personal preference and training. I'm not putting anyone down for the way they carry, just pointing out some advantages and disadvantages.

Jason in WI

Carry how you feel comfortable. If carrying a loaded firearm makes you nervous then carry unloaded.

I use to carry loaded when I knew I wouldn't be removing my firearm from my person for a long period, and carry with a full mag and empty chamber the other 95% of the time. I knew the risk of having a non-functional weapon but I was willing to play the odds for convenience. I also was concerned about frighting the sheeple, I don't like people seeing my firearm out of the holster for any reason and I thought the extra time to chamber was a lot.

After the gentleman in Milwaukee was robbed at gunpoint for his sidearm I began to carry loaded and have since always chambered a round, the little task of unloading and loading has now become so routine that the extra time to load is minimal. I still try and holster/load out of sight of people.

I will tell you this, carrying a loaded firearm still makes me uncomfortable. Of course anything with that amount of responsibility will always make me a little uncomfortable. I hope no amount of training will fix that.....

CKM

I think you have to carry in the manner that is comfortable for you. I choose to have a round in the chamber, and my FNP .45 allows me to carry cocked and locked or decocked. That was one of the reasons I bought it. I practice both ways, but lately I have been carrying with the pistol decocked.

phred

Thank you Knight who intercepts. and not to seem ignorant, but what is UOC? I get the OC part, just not the U.

It is the freeking LAW in California - UNloaded Open Carry

I was thinking at first that UOC was UNrestricted Open Carry. Good thing you cleared that up. Sometimes these "shortcuts" cause misunderstanding.

B

bhancock

i carry condition 3- mag in gun, no round in the chamber. reasoning: safest way to carry, if a bad guy gets my gun, it gives me a chance to get it back while he tries to figure out why it wont go off when he pulls the trigger. then there is the 'be innocent of instigation' thing. at cond.3 it is obvious i am not trying to start something. plus advancing to condition 1 is the final warning to a threat that i am ready to defend, and it also slows the event down for me, so that i have the extra moment to confirm deadly force is necessary.

What he said plus I have 10 children in my home ages 3-18, I just feel a little more comfortable without a round in the chamber. My son and I practice scenarios of quick response, response with deescalation dialogue, cross draw with slide rack, and just about anything else we can think of like being knocked to the ground, injured arm, etc.
It would be hard to measure the time difference and draw and disengage safety as compared to draw and rack with no safety engaged. What you are comfortable and competent with is what matters. A defense can be as subtle as a deterrent, a threat or a response of deadly force.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Proper placement of rounds absolutely mitigates capacity issues.