• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynchburg Area - OC reports

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
By the way, where are all of my other Lynchburg pals here? No one OCing other than me this week (other than nuc65) ?
Excluded again :cry:... you could always get the other half to join and post something... :lol:

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

I went to my dentist office and OCd. I was surprised my hygienist (her first words to me were "I feel safe..." when she saw I was carrying) was pro-gun and we talked about mine and she told me about hers and her children's and her husbands pieces. She also thought you had to have a CHP just to carry so we talked about that some. I was better prepared and had a tri-fold to give her regarding VA gun rights and laws. Then as I am talking to the receptionist who also owns and like guns, her daughter walked in and has just gotten into guns and is enjoying shooting. She told me about her experiences and about getting to shoot a 12 gauge tactical shotgun.

I spent an extra hour just talking, I think I was a little excited because I think this is the worlds best dentist and dentist office and now I feel that 1000x more.

I told them about this forum, about VCDL, and about our Tuesday evening dinner and gave them my phone number and email. The daughter of the receptionist and her husband are also working on building a shooting range nearby. Which I will be happy to learn more about, so that makes two new shooting ranges coming soon.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

nuc65 wrote:
I went to my dentist office and OCd. I was surprised my hygienist (her first words to me were "I feel safe..." when she saw I was carrying) was pro-gun and we talked about mine and she told me about hers and her children's and her husbands pieces. She also thought you had to have a CHP just to carry so we talked about that some. I was better prepared and had a tri-fold to give her regarding VA gun rights and laws. Then as I am talking to the receptionist who also owns and like guns, her daughter walked in and has just gotten into guns and is enjoying shooting. She told me about her experiences and about getting to shoot a 12 gauge tactical shotgun.

I spent an extra hour just talking, I think I was a little excited because I think this is the worlds best dentist and dentist office and now I feel that 1000x more.

I told them about this forum, about VCDL, and about our Tuesday evening dinner and gave them my phone number and email. The daughter of the receptionist and her husband are also working on building a shooting range nearby. Which I will be happy to learn more about, so that makes two new shooting ranges coming soon.
Too bad you're so far away. I'd offer my services as a range instructor if I was closer.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The wife and I were away from Lynchburg from Christmas eve until New Year's Day in Ohio and West Virginia. Since Ohio's firearm law pre-emption is currently being challenged and since West Virginia's firearm law pre-emption is incomplete with regard to OC I only OCed at the parent's place. While in the Barborsville Mall (Huntington, WV) we saw an older gentleman OCing with what was likely his grand-daughter. We both were quite glad to see OC in WV and look forward to the day when the pre-emption is full in that state.

On Friday evening I OCed without incident at the local Olive Garden. Saturday we headed over to the local mall (no OC there) and then OCed without incident at the local Best Buy, Sam's Club, Texas Roadhouse (wife OCed here) and Barnes & Noble.

Today the wife and I headed over to a new favorite spot for lunch, The Blue Dahlia, where I OCed as usual. As we walked in a scruffy looking new young man greeted us quite rudely with a comment about me carrying and filling me in that I'd freak all kinds of people out. I told him that I'd been carrying this way for 4 years without any issue (it's actually been 5) and he left our presence and headed over to talk to Mike, the owner. I have no idea if he asked about my gun carry or not, but he didn't mention it again. "Attitude" has never been on the menu at the Blue Dahlia any other time we've gone and other than this young man serving us a side of it, everyone else was peachy sweet and helpful. Mike, the owner, came over and chatted with us like always and I didn't bring up the issue with the new guy choosing to see if this was an isolated incident. When we paid the check the scruffy young guy had changed his 'tude to peachy sweet and we left with no further incident. Afterward we headed over to the local Home Depot where I OCed without incident again. While there, however, I saw one of the managers from work who I'm pretty sure saw my sidearm, but made no mention of it, but greeted me cordially just the same. May OC some later for dinner tonight, but right now the laundry calls as does my mug of home brewed Tim Horton's coffee. Mmmmm, coffee!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

One of my co-workers just filled me in that on Saturday he saw a young blonde gal here in town driving a blue Hyundai with a blue and white "Guns Save Lives" sticker. Any of y'all have significant others or know a lovely young lady who just might drive a vehicle matching this description?????

Jero1987

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
One of my co-workers just filled me in that on Saturday he saw a young blonde gal here in town driving a blue Hyundai with a blue and white "Guns Save Lives" sticker. Any of y'all have significant others or know a lovely young lady who just might drive a vehicle matching this description?????
Not I, the wife drives a mercury. Although now I have a description to give my single friends, so they can keep an eye out. :)

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

When were you in town Citizen? Depending on the time the wife and I might've been able to meet up with you again. Let us know next time you're in town.

OCed tonight at La Carreta at Wards Rd. as usual with no problems. Good to see some of my south of the border neighbors who regularly wait on us. :)

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
When were you in town Citizen? Depending on the time the wife and I might've been able to meet up with you again. Let us know next time you're in town.

OCed tonight at La Carreta at Wards Rd. as usual with no problems. Good to see some of my south of the border neighbors who regularly wait on us. :)
Count me in on the impromptu dinners :celebrate

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

nuc65 wrote:
jmelvin wrote:

"Where ever two or more are gathered in my name......."
Rt. Rev. John Moses Browning

"Never eat alone. Always have your friend by your side."
St. Col. Jeff Cooper

Yata hey

PS - My apologies to both :D

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
nuc65 wrote:
jmelvin wrote:

"Where ever two or more are gathered in my name......."
Rt. Rev. John Moses Browning

"Never eat alone. Always have your friend by your side."
St. Col. Jeff Cooper

Yata hey

PS - My apologies to both :D
I usually have my GSD with me, but for some reasons restaurants get upset when he is eating with me...

uhya

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

White cane or service dog + 1911.....always wanted to do that. :lol:

Yata hey

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OCed at the local Logan's Roadhouse tonight and had no issues as is usual. Spoke with both of the managers that were working tonight and they were their usual friendly selves. Of course the whole of the time out was recorded, however seeing Jero's event tonight, I'll have to make sure I keep the recorder running even when I'm in the car headed home.

There's a "statie" that attends my church so I was hoping Jero's issue was not with him, but I made a call and found out he doesn't even patrol this area.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OCed last night at Robin-Alexander's Restaurant in downtown Lynchburg with no issues at all. This is the 3rd time we've visited this new spot and our server was one we knew from Neighbor's Place. We enjoyed our dinner and are continually glad that we have another nice place to go in downtown just up the block from the anti-self defense Waterstone and Shoemaker's restaurants.

OCed early this afternoon at the local Cracker Barrel with no OC issues at all. The ham that my wife was served, smelled and tasted spoiled both times it was brought out (2 separate pieces), so needless to say we got manager interaction. The ham issue was finally resolved and everything was taken care of to our satisfaction. Not a word was said about my openly carried firearm. :)

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OCed last night at the Bedford Wally-World where I had the chance to chit chat about general gun-toting and how to get a CHP with one of the workers back in the auto area. Had no issues there whatsoever. Also spent a little time at the local Lowe's and had dinner at the local Olive Garden, OCing everywhere. No issues at all.

After church today I OCed at the Blue Dahlia for lunch again, and just like last Sunday ran into the little smart ass at the door who turns out to be the owner's son. He had a little comment, but I wasn't sure if it was meant to be nasty or not, so I by-passed mentioning it for the time being. The restaurant has had a little bit of personnel turnover lately so I'm sure the son is just filling in for a short time. Since Mike and Tee are so hospitable and the rest of their staff is as well, I'm not going to add to their headache over what may or may not have been ill intent. If it continues, however, I'll mention it, but I figure I'll let the guy warm up to me as well.

This evening I OCed at the Campbell Co. dump transfer station and then at dinner at Logan's Roadhouse. One of our favorite servers was there and waited on us and filled the wife and I in that she and her dad are getting ready to take their CHP training and she would be getting a gun of her own. I recommended ProShooter's training, but I don't know if they'll be able to make it up to Richmond or not. While at Logan's we had the opportunity to chat with one of the managers who dropped by and discussed just getting a new Walther PPS in 9mm and filled us in that he'd be up at Lobby Day next week as well. All in all a pretty good night.*

*I got a bit of a shake-up on the way to the dump transfer station when a pickup truck driver that I'd turned in front of (lots of distance for clear turning) decided he was going to have some "fun" and charge up and nearly ram the back of my truck, proceed to pass me with part of his truck in my lane (on a 2 lane) and then attempt to run me off the road. Fortunately the guy turned onto US-29 at the light and didn't follow me on to the dump, but it left me a bit shaky.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OCed at Ledo's Pizza for dinner last night without any OC related issues. Our first server was a bit snotty and rude and after interaction with another server, our server was sidelined and we got a lovely young lady who took care of us nicely. We tipped her appropriately.

OCed again tonight at Milano's Italian in Boonsboro where we had an excellent dinner as always. On our way out one of the workers asked what I was carrying and it spurred a conversation about guns, how carrying guns prevents crime, OC in general and the fact that we shared the state of Ohio as the place where we all came from. I passed out one of the OC cards that Skidmark gave me and told the young man to check out OCDO for more info on carrying as well as a good spot to meet fellow OCers.

After Milano's we headed next door to Kroger, where I OCed while I managed to find some good beer that I thoroughly enjoyed once we got home. No issue whatsoever with the OCing. :)

curtiswr

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
OCed at Ledo's Pizza for dinner last night without any OC related issues. Our first server was a bit snotty and rude and after interaction with another server, our server was sidelined and we got a lovely young lady who took care of us nicely. We tipped her appropriately.

OCed again tonight at Milano's Italian in Boonsboro where we had an excellent dinner as always. On our way out one of the workers asked what I was carrying and it spurred a conversation about guns, how carrying guns prevents crime, OC in general and the fact that we shared the state of Ohio as the place where we all came from. I passed out one of the OC cards that Skidmark gave me and told the young man to check out OCDO for more info on carrying as well as a good spot to meet fellow OCers.

After Milano's we headed next door to Kroger, where I OCed while I managed to find some good beer that I thoroughly enjoyed once we got home. No issue whatsoever with the OCing. :)

Someone's got a hankering for Italian food! :p

I'm in Lynchburg sometimes, albeit much more rarely than I was from age 0-19 years. The last time I was there I OC'd at Weenie Stand #2 without incident. I have yet to find another place in Virginia that makes a comparable hot dog to Lynchburg's Weenie Stand. Almost good enough to make me move back there. :lol: