• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McGinn Has Authority To Shut Down Gun Sales On Street, During Gun Buyback...

badkarma

Here is my idea...

Next time Seattle or any city announces a buy back program, we "The People" announce our own buyback program a day earlier and promote the hell out of it. If we have to, rent a empty lot, get a flea market permit ($90) and buy till funds are exhausted.

Offer payments above their $100 gift cards and let each purchaser be the judge. Not every broken Raven is going to get $100. Anyone know of a friendly location downtown?

Difdi

The mayor said he also supports efforts in the state legislature to require background checks on all gun sales.

Last I heard, the issue wasn't so much that private sellers were refusing to background check buyers, but rather that there was simply no way to run such a check. If you go to to state or federal government and ask to run a background check, they demand to see your gun shop license, right? And if you don't have one, no background check...

It occurs to me that a legal requirement to run a check, without giving private sellers/buyers any way to run such a check, would be a backdoor way of banning private sales.

amlevin

It occurs to me that a legal requirement to run a check, without giving private sellers/buyers any way to run such a check, would be a backdoor way of banning private sales.

Most suggested legislation I have read proposes that a "check" be required either from a licensed dealer or local law enforcement agency, for a fee. They won't ban private sales, only get government involved in them. Unless the law passed includes a prohibition against requiring a check of the firearm for it's legal status then we'll see de-facto registration. That's the bad news. The good news is that the likelihood of purchasing a stolen firearm will be eliminated.

Frankly, I can't visualize any system of checking private sales that doesn't involve some kind of registration.

Without it I see the following scenario:

Officer: "Where did you get that gun?"

Person: "I bought it."

Officer: "Who?"

Person: "A friend".

Officer: "Show me proof of a background check".

Person: (showing a receipt) "Here".

Officer: "There's no serial number on it, how do I know you got one when you bought this gun?"

And there you have it, no registration and no way to really enforce, so guess what will happen.

F350

Most suggested legislation I have read proposes that a "check" be required either from a licensed dealer or local law enforcement agency, for a fee. They won't ban private sales, only get government involved in them. Unless the law passed includes a prohibition against requiring a check of the firearm for it's legal status then we'll see de-facto registration. That's the bad news. The good news is that the likelihood of purchasing a stolen firearm will be eliminated.

Frankly, I can't visualize any system of checking private sales that doesn't involve some kind of registration.

Without it I see the following scenario:

Officer: "Where did you get that gun?"

Person: "I bought it."

Officer: "Who?"

Person: "A friend".

Officer: "Show me proof of a background check".

Person: (showing a receipt) "Here".

Officer: "There's no serial number on it, how do I know you got one when you bought this gun?"

And there you have it, no registration and no way to really enforce, so guess what will happen.

I'd tell the cop the same thing I tell my wife....... "This ole gun? Why I've had this gun for years" :lol:

Last edited:

YB-Idle

found this today: http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/~scri...=HITOFF&l=20&p=1&u=/~public/code1.htm&r=1&f=G

[h=3]Seattle Municipal Code[/h]Information retrieved February 10, 2013 3:12 PM

Title 10 - HEALTH AND SAFETY
Chapter 10.02 - CIVIL EMERGENCIESSMC 10.02.020 Authority of Mayor to issue certain orders.

which has had this update:
http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/~scri...ITOFF&d=ORDF&p=1&u=/~public/code1.htm&r=0&f=S

10.02.020 - Authority of Mayor to issue certain orders(( . ))
A. Upon the proclamation of a civil emergency by the Mayor, and during the existence of such civil emergency, the Mayor may, in a form that meets the requirements of Section 10.02.025, make and proclaim any or all of the following orders:
(( H )) 8 . An order closing to the public any or all public places including streets, alleys, public ways, schools, parks, beaches, amusement areas, and public buildings;
(( I )) 9 . An order prohibiting the carrying or possession of a firearm or any instrument which is capable of producing bodily harm and which is carried or possessed with intent to use the same to cause such harm, provided that any such order shall not apply to peace officers or military personnel engaged in the performance of their official duties;

Wouldn't the proclamation in ((H)) preclude the presence of ALL members of the public?

He could not then select to allow only those desirous of ridding themselves of items into the closed area without himself violating the order.

YB-Idle

Offer payments above their $100 gift cards and let each purchaser be the judge. Not every broken Raven is going to get $100. Anyone know of a friendly location downtown?

Does the method of compensation enter into the equation? Gift cards are not cash, per se, and trading personal property for gift cards might be deemed not vending. A setting that might embolden the city's stance.

I agree, the seller in this scenario is the person the city is trying to intimidate because they are, by any literal definition, a vendor. The purchaser is the customer and, as a customer, I have yet to see code cited that you would be in violation of.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
vendors license

I went to the city of seattle site and applied for a vendors license. Took five minutes, cost US$45 and was approved. I will receive it in the mail in a few weeks.
I WILL be at the next "gun show" with my vendors license and cash.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I went to the city of seattle site and applied for a vendors license. Took five minutes, cost US$45 and was approved. I will receive it in the mail in a few weeks.

Are you allowed to have non-employee, unpaid "assistants?"

Last edited:

rapgood

sounds good to me, the only thing I would worry about though is who is liable if someone buys "hot" guns. I doubt McGrim will allow a police officer to be there to run serials.... is there any civilian database of serial numbers? I'm not so much worried about old rifles being brought in, but semi auto pistols, any pistol chambered in .32 or .25, H&R revolvers, .38 Smiths, etc are heavy crime weapons so I would be leery of buying those from Joe Blow off the street. plus there's one other thing I'd worry about, in McGrim really hates us, he'll send a undercover cop with stolen gun get someone to buy it, then arrest them for possessing a stolen gun (RCW 9A.56.310) right in front of the news media....

now I'm liking the idea a little less..... but it's a GREAT idea, not being sarcastic, we just gotta find a way to deal with some minor issues like I outlined to avoid being hosed by the city and eliminate an appearance of impropriety, I wouldn't put much past Mayor Mike who rides his Bike.....
That's entrapment. Even a hint to the press that it is a setup will backfire big time on them.

massivedesign

But to vend is to sell. You are not selling you are buying. Per the way the code is written the SELLERS are the ones who need to have a permit to sell to YOU.... Yet they can go sell it to the SPD with no permit? Very confusing.

Difdi

Does the method of compensation enter into the equation? Gift cards are not cash, per se, and trading personal property for gift cards might be deemed not vending. A setting that might embolden the city's stance.

So get gift cards before the day. Denominations of $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100. Pay more than the city does. If people can trade property for gift cards without becoming vendors, then they can trade that property to anyone who has a gift card to trade.

That's entrapment. Even a hint to the press that it is a setup will backfire big time on them.

Request the presence of a reporter at the buy back in case anything interesting happens. When the entrapment goes down, have a media-relations officer point the camera crew at the commotion. Good luck convincing someone it's not a coincidence.

SeattleWingsfan

Geeting a permit to vend I don't believe will work like the others said it's the seller than needs the permit.

I saw when I was going through the municiple code a section that had a diagram of the right of way and street sidewalk areas. I'll have to go back and look for it. I believe it was under newstand code, showing where vendors can and can't be without vending permits. I say we print that diagram out and just stand outside the area and show them the city diagram outlining street and sidewalk use. and tell them to pound sand so to speak.

we shouls probably lookk up any and all ordiances relating to signs and advertising.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Can you place an ad in craigslist to sell your lawnmower? Of course you can. Can you meet the buyer or seller on the sidewalk in Seattle. Of course you can. Why because you're selling private property.

This is nothing but new attempt to intimidate the sellers.

Flopsweat

Run an add telling the public to hit the classifieds at NorthWestFirearms and SeattleGuns. Open specific WTB Unwanted Guns threads. Maybe the three sites should collaborate. Hold a Seattle Buyback Week. If it's a success, keep doing it until all of the unwanted guns are "off the streets" that they were never on.

Can we use the Oregon gun check number 800-532-5059? I've never tried it from WA.

EMNofSeattle

Run an add telling the public to hit the classifieds at NorthWestFirearms and SeattleGuns. Open specific WTB Unwanted Guns threads. Maybe the three sites should collaborate. Hold a Seattle Buyback Week. If it's a success, keep doing it until all of the unwanted guns are "off the streets" that they were never on.

Can we use the Oregon gun check number 800-532-5059? I've never tried it from WA.

Is there a federal stolen gun database that number uses? or is that just for a list of stolen guns reported stolen in Oregon or to an Oregon agency? the website just says "stolen record files"

Alpine

Can you place an ad in craigslist to sell your lawnmower? Of course you can. Can you meet the buyer or seller on the sidewalk in Seattle. Of course you can. Why because you're selling private property.

This is nothing but new attempt to intimidate the sellers.

Although if 1588 passes my guess is the SPD will arrest people they see buying and selling. McGinn might hold off the next buyback to wait and see if this bill passes. That's why I'm going down to Olympia to testify tomorrow.

skeith5

Although if 1588 passes my guess is the SPD will arrest people they see buying and selling. McGinn might hold off the next buyback to wait and see if this bill passes. That's why I'm going down to Olympia to testify tomorrow.

Thanks for going down to testify! I'm sure mcginn is waiting on that as well...