• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meet and Greet to Disarm

papa bear

Not that I want to get in the middle of this, but Pro Shots indoor range and shop just north of Winston Salem does not require customers to unload or disarm before coming in. I have been there armed (OC) and had no issues, even asked if they required me to unload before going into the range and the answer was no.

JAG, that was one of the places that changed their policy when it was pointed out to them. i have been there to thank them. the most dangerous thing is an unloaded gun.

Thanks G22, it is funny that they did that when i had several letters from people on the site that said i was a good guy

rotorhead

Ha Ha just found out i was banned from the other forum

i guess you can't point out something wrong

of course it might be pointing out the moderate calling me an A$$, actually make him one

was that you rotorhead?

No, that was not me.

rotorhead

papa bear - don't worry about thin-skinned, power-tripping, keyboard commandos on other sites. You're the cream of the crop, as far as I'm concerned.

Despite my long-standing support of GRNC, I will refuse to attend an event where I'm expected to disarm. The policy at my local range is that a defensive side arm stays in the holster until you get to the firing line. Once at the firing line, unload the SD ammo and reload with target/plinking ammo. Once target shooting is over, reload the side arm and reholster.

What's the big f'ing deal with something as simple as that?

There's no big deal about it, really- unless people mess up and cause a few negligent discharges over the years. Then I would guess that the range might adjust their policies in an effort to avoid a future one.

Apparently I was mistaken and there are a few ranges in the state that do not have the same policy. I truly hope that an accident doesn't occur. Best of luck to all. There's a little bit of confusion over the policy. One camp feels that the policy is there to "disarm" people as some sort of intentional affront to their rights. Others feel that it's a minor temporary inconvenience that was put in place based on past actual events.

Personally I understand why they made that rule. There's just too many people out there and you can't be sure of everyone's competency and level of awareness. Obviously, they've had issues in the past and created a rule there to help deal with it. I can say it wasn't done in the spirit of restricting rights, it was done due to past incidents. Not everyone is as competent as they should be, especially some people who have never handled guns before and are making their first trip to a range in their lives.

Meh, it's no biggie to me, really. Just don't be fooled into thinking this is some kind of restriction to people's rights. The rule wasn't created for that. Until they had those three incidents, the rule was not in place.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
I don't think it was done intentionally and I don't look at it as some sort of tinfoil hat conspiracy. I just think the irony of making people disarm for a GRNC event is overwhelming.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

rotorhead

I don't think it was done intentionally and I don't look at it as some sort of tinfoil hat conspiracy. I just think the irony of making people disarm for a GRNC event is overwhelming.

Yeah that would be a cool theory if it was just for a GRNC event. But in reality, it's the rule there any day of the week for any event, or visit, or shooting session, or anything else for that matter.

Although I'm sure there will be a few that will link it to GRNC only just for the yucks. It's to be expected :)

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Yeah that would be a cool theory if it was just for a GRNC event. But in reality, it's the rule there any day of the week for any event, or visit, or shooting session, or anything else for that matter.

Although I'm sure there will be a few that will link it to GRNC only just for the yucks. It's to be expected :)

You seem to be taking it personally. Quit typing back and just recognize that GRNC could have chosen some other place without such rules. I don't blame the range. It's a private business with their own rules. I blame GRNC for choosing it.

Here is where you think to yourself, "Oh, okay." You don't even have to respond.

Last edited:

rotorhead

You seem to be taking it personally. Quit typing back and just recognize that GRNC could have chosen some other place without such rules. I don't blame the range. It's a private business with their own rules. I blame GRNC for choosing it.

Here is where you think to yourself, "Oh, okay." You don't even have to respond.

lol

Another cool theory, except I'll pretty much type when and where I damn well please.

But I really don't think it was such an issue that it was factored in to their decision to hold it there. I think it had to do more with a fairly centralized location and the facilities which can handle a large crowd, etc. Up until the other day I didn't even realize that a few other ranges in the state didn't have the same or similar policies. I hadn't realized it was such a deep issue for some folks, which the exception of Papabear who has raised it before a few times.

Just to expand the idea slightly, where is the exact line that should never be crossed for a range standard, where they can still remain cool? In other words, should we claim that we are being "disarmed" if the RSO at any range gives the command of "cease fire, lock and clear all weapons. Range is now cold" before allowing people to go down range to check and change targets? I mean after all, we should trust people to simply not touch their weapons during those times, correct? or no?

How about range flags in chambers? Why bother, right? If we'd just trust the people out there, all would be cool and no one would ever be disarmed, thereby making the range cool. How about other such "disarming" and insulting rules like "keep your muzzle pointed down range"? Pretty dumb, right?

And yeah, I do take this stuff fairly personal. Not being shot by an idiot while I'm visiting a range is pretty high up on my priority list. Sorry, just the way it is.

It's a range, ffs. It's not a restaurant or a convenience store or a coffee shop. It's not a rights issue and it's not a GRNC issue. One or two people here will always (and I mean ALWAYS) find a way to pin anything and everything they can on GRNC, the NRA, or any other group out there to make them look stupid. They could miss the bowl while taking a piss and somehow come running onto this forum and find a way to blame GRNC or others for their own bad aim. It's another "just the way it is" thing, I guess.

But in the mean time, they take a simple safety precaution that many ranges apply and use it as a ridiculous argument for "rights" infringement. So yeah, it gets a little old.

Then again, another common fallacy here is for some people to assume they somehow have the moral authority to tell others when, where and why they can post. Go figure.

papa bear

lol

Another cool theory, except I'll pretty much type when and where I damn well please.

But I really don't think it was such an issue that it was factored in to their decision to hold it there. I think it had to do more with a fairly centralized location and the facilities which can handle a large crowd, etc. Up until the other day I didn't even realize that a few other ranges in the state didn't have the same or similar policies. I hadn't realized it was such a deep issue for some folks, which the exception of Papabear who has raised it before a few times.

Just to expand the idea slightly, where is the exact line that should never be crossed for a range standard, where they can still remain cool? In other words, should we claim that we are being "disarmed" if the RSO at any range gives the command of "cease fire, lock and clear all weapons. Range is now cold" before allowing people to go down range to check and change targets? I mean after all, we should trust people to simply not touch their weapons during those times, correct? or no?

How about range flags in chambers? Why bother, right? If we'd just trust the people out there, all would be cool and no one would ever be disarmed, thereby making the range cool. How about other such "disarming" and insulting rules like "keep your muzzle pointed down range"? Pretty dumb, right?

And yeah, I do take this stuff fairly personal. Not being shot by an idiot while I'm visiting a range is pretty high up on my priority list. Sorry, just the way it is.

It's a range, ffs. It's not a restaurant or a convenience store or a coffee shop. It's not a rights issue and it's not a GRNC issue. One or two people here will always (and I mean ALWAYS) find a way to pin anything and everything they can on GRNC, the NRA, or any other group out there to make them look stupid. They could miss the bowl while taking a piss and somehow come running onto this forum and find a way to blame GRNC or others for their own bad aim. It's another "just the way it is" thing, I guess.

But in the mean time, they take a simple safety precaution that many ranges apply and use it as a ridiculous argument for "rights" infringement. So yeah, it gets a little old.

Then again, another common fallacy here is for some people to assume they somehow have the moral authority to tell others when, where and why they can post. Go figure.

first off the GRNC likes to hide it but they are very much opposed to CARRY. especially OC. to ask me to give up my personal protection AND pay money for it is just as bad as the brady bunch, to which case i have carried to anti events. what about the CC or the LE that will be there? will that make the LE unloaded. of course they should. if they were for carry they would have never set this up

second if the IDIOT will shoot you on the range, then they will shoot you off the range. if i don't touch my personal protection firearm (only if i need it) then there is no way to shoot anybody.

getting past all your hyperbole. what the hell does ******* have to do with self protection? very childish statement. how old are you 5, 10? you seem to be very much against self protection and carry in general
have you thought about giving up you firearms and openly protesting guns. i think the anti's are for more honest at least you know where you stand with them, well sort of

nothing is worst then a person that is supposed to be on your side, and then turn out to be a back stabber. if you want to pay someone for disarming you go for it. i am not that stupid.

i will not give my money to someone who wants me to not carry.

papa bear

Sorry ROTORHEAD, i get my email in a backwords order

you are right this range does have every privilege of law to bar self defense

but this still does not excuse GRNC from chosen this site. even if it was centrally located (which it is not). if the GRNC was not against carry then they could have found somewhere else to hold it

take a page from VCDL. have more events across the state, so more members can go

rotorhead

first off the GRNC likes to hide it but they are very much opposed to CARRY. especially OC. to ask me to give up my personal protection AND pay money for it is just as bad as the brady bunch, to which case i have carried to anti events. what about the CC or the LE that will be there? will that make the LE unloaded. of course they should. if they were for carry they would have never set this up

Here we finally get to the meat of the matter- it's an anti GRNC rant, as usual, with little regard to the actual claimed matter. A lot of this BS was covered many moons ago but you just can't let it go. No worries.

As to LE and CC there, everyone is treated the same and expected to follow the rules. It's not a carry issue, it's a safety issue. All people, LEO or not, are asked to unload while in the office area. Off-duty LEOs, CCers, everyone. If an LEO is there on duty and as part of his/ her job, they are allowed to remain loaded. Why? Because they are in an official capacity and will be there only momentarily and are not expected to be out there shooting, like everyone else will be. In other words, it's because they are not going to be HANDLING their weapons like most others there will be. The owner himself doesn't even carry loaded inside, so it's not an issue of them wanting to control people's rights while they can remain armed.

second if the IDIOT will shoot you on the range, then they will shoot you off the range. if i don't touch my personal protection firearm (only if i need it) then there is no way to shoot anybody.

If that were true, they would never have to create that rule. Instead, no less than three incidents have happened to date, so they created that rule. The two ladies who showed up as part of a Ladies Only class certainly didn't shoot anyone while out in public, yet they happened to both shoot off a round unintentionally there while showing up and showing other people their guns. Those two incidents happened within a minute or so. The third ND happened at a different date, but under the same circumstances: the person had his gun out and was showing it to someone else while waiting in line inside. Oops, but I'm sure he thought the weapon was unloaded at the time.

Only after those three events did the range create the rule. Why? Because sometimes good people just don't think and an accident happens.

Despite your arguments to the contrary, GRNC had nothing to do with that. As to an idiot who might also shoot you out on the firing line, yes- that also happens, too. But the firing line is a bit more controlled there and people take commands from an RSO (like pretty much every other public range in the world). When an RSO says "lock and clear all weapons" before allowing people to go down range to check targets, is that also a restriction on rights? Yes? No?

I noticed no one has answered that one yet. Anyway...

getting past all your hyperbole. what the hell does ******* have to do with self protection? very childish statement. how old are you 5, 10? you seem to be very much against self protection and carry in general
have you thought about giving up you firearms and openly protesting guns. i think the anti's are for more honest at least you know where you stand with them, well sort of

Ahh yes, out come the personal insults. Any idea why you got booted from other forums now? I think this is a great example, honestly. But no, I am 47, in fact. And I'm willing to stand here and have you mine posts of mine to show me where I am "very much against self protection and carry in general" lol. Go ahead, present your case. Show the world how a man who openly carries at all times where legal to do so (and who has never had a CHP) is against carry in general. This should be good.

nothing is worst then a person that is supposed to be on your side, and then turn out to be a back stabber. if you want to pay someone for disarming you go for it. i am not that stupid.

Exactly who is telling you that you can't carry? All the range is saying is that they want you to be unloaded while inside their office area lol. That's it! The reasons have been stated over and over again. Next.

Sorry ROTORHEAD, i get my email in a backwords order

No worries, take your time, sir.

you are right this range does have every privilege of law to bar self defense

Cool deal, except it's been explained over and over again that it's not a self-defense issue. It's a safety issue they implemented after three previous incidents that happened prior to that rule being in place. Why is that so hard to understand? If three visitors to your house blew off rounds while showing you their guns, would you not consider some kind of similar rule in the future??

But let's get back to the real issue at hand, at least how I see it anyway....

but this still does not excuse GRNC from chosen this site. even if it was centrally located (which it is not). if the GRNC was not against carry then they could have found somewhere else to hold it

Yes, there it is. It's a GRNC issue to you. The evil GRNC who hates pretty much everyone in your eyes, purposefully chose this range simply because the range also hates gun owners...and bikers...and OCers....and little kittens....and everything else under the sun, right? And check your map again- the range is fairly centrally located, but I'll admit to not taking out my tape measure and confirming it.

take a page from VCDL. have more events across the state, so more members can go

I think that's the general plan, actually. You have to remember that this is the first annual event for them. In other words, the first time they've done something like this, so I'm assuming they will branch out and try for other sites afterward, depending on how this one goes. As they grow, they are trying to expand into these kinds of events. Not every range they pick will have this same rule, I'm sure- mostly because it wasn't really a consideration for this event in the first place. Different ranges have different rules, and that stuff isn't always the first consideration when deciding where to hold these things.

I'm all about having these kinds of events in various locations, though. It's a great idea. Of course if they do have similar events at other locations, some people out there will always find one reason or another to gig them on it, I'm sure.

"This time they picked a range that's too far west, they hate coastal bikers!"

"This time they picked a range who's grass isn't green enough, they hate nature!"

"This time they picked a range that is too small/ big!"

"This time they picked a range where you can't shoot a .50 cal BMG, they hate people with automatic guns!"

I know, it sounds funny on the surface, but this is what happens- daily.

Whaddya do?

Have a great day.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

This is a common requirement of commercial ranges. Loaded firearms are allowed only on the firing line.
A common requirement of ranges I won't visit.
Likewise. On the other hand, the range I most often visit has a rule that you may not handle a firearm anywhere other than the firing line - firearms must remain cased or holstered from the time you enter the front door until you are at the firing position on the firing line. No exceptions.

Coniferous

Woah there chief: the GRNC is "opposed to carry", that is "just as bad as the brady bunch"?

Dumbest statement I've heard this week,

Sounds like a simple tantrum on your part.

WalkingWolf

Woah there chief: the GRNC is "opposed to carry", that is "just as bad as the brady bunch"?

Dumbest statement I've heard this week,

Sounds like a simple tantrum on your part.

PV made several posts on this site that he is clearly anti open carry. He implied clearly that open carriers are drunks, and bikers. Naturally that a policy such as that range has is clearly in the line with his agenda. After all who will check the weapons of concealed carriers at the range, the policy only affects open carriers.

I have been to the range once, it is the most dangerous range I have ever visited. NO identifiable safety officers, everybody handling guns in all areas, but then they are supposed to be unloaded. It seems the range and PV forgot one of the most important firearms rules, all firearms are loaded! But they have a atmosphere and policy that they actually are not. Not surprising they have problems with ND's. I will pass, you are welcome to go at your own risk.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Likewise. On the other hand, the range I most often visit has a rule that you may not handle a firearm anywhere other than the firing line - firearms must remain cased or holstered from the time you enter the front door until you are at the firing position on the firing line. No exceptions.

Doesn't bother me.

JustaShooter

Doesn't bother me.

Exactly - that is a reasonable policy that addresses both the desires of the range to not have to deal with NDs in the "office area" as well as the desire of those who carry for self-defense to not have to disarm to enter the range. I would respectfully submit that the range in question here would do well to consider a similar policy - someone familar with the range might suggest it to them... ;)

Coniferous

PV made several posts on this site that he is clearly anti open carry. He implied clearly that open carriers are drunks, and bikers. Naturally that a policy such as that range has is clearly in the line with his agenda. After all who will check the weapons of concealed carriers at the range, the policy only affects open carriers.

I have been to the range once, it is the most dangerous range I have ever visited. NO identifiable safety officers, everybody handling guns in all areas, but then they are supposed to be unloaded. It seems the range and PV forgot one of the most important firearms rules, all firearms are loaded! But they have a atmosphere and policy that they actually are not. Not surprising they have problems with ND's. I will pass, you are welcome to go at your own risk.

Got link? I'd like to read those statements by PV for my own education.

I know some of the main GRNC volunteers are OCers.

Either way, he's comparing them to the brady bunch which is mind-bogglingly retarded.

WalkingWolf

Either way, he's comparing them to the brady bunch which is mind-bogglingly retarded.

You can check out the Gold State thread in NC sub forums, almost everybody is aware of his agenda unless they are one of his shills, and then they are anti open carry.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?108024-Gold-Carry-State&highlight=gold+state

BTW at least the Brady Bunch is honest. GRNC is worse they claim to represent the RKBA but they only recognize privilege carry and making money.

Last edited:

Coniferous

You can check out the Gold State thread in NC sub forums, almost everybody is aware of his agenda unless they are one of his shills, and then they are anti open carry.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?108024-Gold-Carry-State&highlight=gold+state

BTW at least the Brady Bunch is honest. GRNC is worse they claim to represent the RKBA but they only recognize privilege carry and making money.

After first reading your bolded statement above, then the whole other thread, I can see I wandered into a little peeing contest that I want no part of. Where's the "slowly backing away" smiley?

I tried, but I saw nothing in that thread to prove your point that the GRNC worse than the brady bunch.

papa bear

Actualy it's not a stretch. after all the Brady bunch is all about gun safety. also not having upset sheeple scared of guns

Wow ROTOR, must have took you hours to write all that. hopefully i will be briefer

Yes it has everything to do with safety, MINE. have you ever thought of the "dummy light syndrome", if you don't think there is a risk, there will be one

i am a member and worker for the GRNC. but it is evil for them to have a meet and greet and then have it at a place that requires me to disarm. i really don't give a rats a$$if the owner don't carry, that's his stupidity.

if all these people that are suppose to come to this event are GRNC. then they would know not to touch their sidearm. doesn't the GRNC enforce this rule. i know the VCDL does.

But like i have said before if you want to give your money to a store, bank, box store, or gun range that don't respect your right to carry then by all means go ahead

if they can't trust you in their place then they can't trust you out side of it. if you can't be trusted out side then you probably shouldn't carry at all. does that sound like the antis