• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meet up in oakland county

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I'm trying to talk the family into dropping me off at the cafe and they can go to the Detroit zoo, right on the way, did I mention they love zoos even in the winter:shock:

Rob Washeleski

imported post

While I agree that security will not likely be an issue, you should always be aware of your surroundings. This goes double if in a crowded coffee shop, for example. Anytime I have been approached I have seen it coming from at least 20 feet away and have been able to square myself to the approaching individual. I live in a small town, and I won't have the luxury of space when I go to Berkeley. Therefore, I will have my 1911 in a Serpa CQC.

See you there,

-Rob

Michigander

imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
While I agree that security will not likely be an issue, you should always be aware of your surroundings. This goes double if in a crowded coffee shop, for example. Anytime I have been approached I have seen it coming from at least 20 feet away and have been able to square myself to the approaching individual. I live in a small town, and I won't have the luxury of space when I go to Berkeley. Therefore, I will have my 1911 in a Serpa CQC.

See you there,

-Rob

Houghton to Berkley? :shock:

Seriously? I won't tell you not to, but geeze dude. Hope you'll be bringing some other people with you or something. That's one huge drive for one little event. I'm gonna try to organize something in the northern lower peninsula after it warms up. possibly in Grayling. If you'd prefer that, it would be a hell of a lot less of a drive.

SQLtables

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Rob Washeleski wrote:

See you there,

-Rob

Houghton to Berkley :shock:

Seriously? I won't tell you not to, but geeze dude. Hope you'll be bringing some other people with you or something. That's one huge drive for one little event. I'm gonna try to organize something in the northern lower peninsula after it warms up. possibly in Grayling. If you'd prefer that, it would be a hell of a lot less of a drive.

Just FYI - I'd be game for a Grayling event.

Also, I still plan on bringing a projector. We have a laptop right?

Rob Washeleski

imported post

I was born in Madison Heights and my folks still live there. I'm coming down for Christmas tomorrow and will be in town anyway. There's no way I would drive 9 hours just for a quick cup of coffee! The wife may come along too, but she still isn't real comfortable with OC. Academically she agrees with it, but she feels like we will get hassled if I do it. Nearly 6 months now, and aside from a chat with the chief of police at a parade there have been no problems.

-Rob

Michigander

imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
I was born in Madison Heights and my folks still live there. I'm coming down for Christmas tomorrow and will be in town anyway. There's no way I would drive 9 hours just for a quick cup of coffee! The wife may come along too, but she still isn't real comfortable with OC. Academically she agrees with it, but she feels like we will get hassled if I do it. Nearly 6 months now, and aside from a chat with the chief of police at a parade there have been no problems.

-Rob

Oh okay. THAT makes sense. ;)

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
That would for sure fit in at least 2 holsters I have. Unless you're really scared about someone going for a grab (a billion to one odds that would happen in the coffee shop) and you want to wait for your retention holster, I've got ya covered. Up to you obviously, just do whatever you want. It's not a terrible idea to skip it this time if you aren't comfortable with the idea, nothing wrong with taking things slowly and carefully in regards to firearms. Plus it's not like security will be an issue. ;)

A strudy leather belt of any kind will work great usually. I use a tool belt most days so I can carry my gun. 6 bucks, fits inside my belt loops just perfectly, and damn sturdy!

I think I'll pass you up on the offer. I think I'll hold off on OC till after I get my CPL (Yes, Ironic). Plus, I'm a lefty...

Thanks for offering though! See you there.

Venator

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Yes I'll have mine. You may want to have yours as a back up???? Up to you. I plan on getting there early around 12:30 or earlier to set things up and make sure the projector works.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Also, I still plan on bringing a projector.  We have a laptop right?
Yes I'll have mine.  You may want to have yours as a back up????  Up to you.  I plan on getting there early around 12:30 or earlier to set things up and make sure the projector works.

Being a Sysadmin, I carry a laptop more often than I carry a wallet. I'll probably have mine there, too.

-Zzz

SQLtables

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Yes I'll have mine. You may want to have yours as a back up???? Up to you. I plan on getting there early around 12:30 or earlier to set things up and make sure the projector works.

Being a Sysadmin, I carry a laptop more often than I carry a wallet. I'll probably have mine there, too.

-Zzz

I hear ya.

I might bring my MacBook along. I know that'll work :p

I'll try to get there around 12:30 then. That just means I have to wake up earlier.. Thanks Venator....

Venator

imported post

:lol:SQLtables wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:

-Zzz

I hear ya.

I'll try to get there around 12:30 then. That just means I have to wake up earlier.. Thanks Venator....
I told you there would be sacrifices. Be sure to bring the better half, I did enjoy ourconversations in TC :D.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SQLtables wrote:
I hear ya.

I might bring my MacBook along.  I know that'll work :p

I'll try to get there around 12:30 then.  That just means I have to wake up earlier.. Thanks Venator....

haha.. I'll one-up ya and bring the Macbook Pro!

ETA: As an amateur photographer, I'll probably be shooting some photos, too. I know it's a paranoid bunch, but we're not breaking any laws!

Find some of my photos at http://flickr.com/photos/joshtish/sets/72157602673245505/ if you're interested.

SQLtables

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
I hear ya.

haha.. I'll one-up ya and bring the Macbook Pro!

Yea yea... the upgrade wasn't worth the added cost when I bought mine... It is time for a new mac though...

Venator

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
As an amateur photographer, I'll probably be shooting some photos, too. I know it's a paranoid bunch, but we're not breaking any laws!

Find some of my photos at http://flickr.com/photos/joshtish/sets/72157602673245505/ if you're interested.
I know one of our membersthat doesn't want his face posted on the internet, I'm sure he will talk with you about it.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Venator wrote:
I know one of our members that doesn't want his face posted on the internet, I'm sure he will talk with you about it.

Yes, yes... I'm sure we can work this out....

Michigander wrote:
As most here know, my only stipulation is that I don't want to be photographed, or have my name publicly recorded. (yes I know I'm paranoid )