• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Melanie Hain (SheFearsNothing) Dead

AnaSaenz

imported post

If she was not carrying a gun, the people would say " if she only had access to a gun, she would be ok" but she was carrying a gun. The problem she had was at home. With guns, can we really expect a different outcome? It is sad for the children, but she definitely got what she deserved.... A lesson for all of us to learn. I keep a gun at home to protect myself from intruders, but never to intimidate children and others at soccer games. The gun defenderes should stop defending this woman. she was nuts, and so was her husband. She should have never owned a gun.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jason Rogers wrote:
HankT wrote:
"Mise said she had a feeling something bad would eventually happen at the Hain home.
"She just wasn't right," Mise said of Meleanie Hain. "You don't bring a gun to a kids' soccer game, and you don't wear a gun when you go shopping at Kohl's."

Meleanie Hain was dubbed the pistol-packin' soccer mom by the media in September 2008 after it was first reported in the Lebanon Daily News that she wore her holstered 9mm Glock pistol to her daughter's soccer match. She became a spokeswoman of sorts for open-carry advocates - who support the right to carry a gun in the open - after complaints caused county Sheriff Mike DeLeo to confiscate her concealed-weapon permit."

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/32528.html

Not a good thing for the OC community. We'll have to wait and see what the details are. But right now it's not looking good...

Developing....

http://www.examiner.com/x-1417-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m10d8-Does-Hain-shooting-show-citizens-cant-be-trusted-with-guns

The Lebanon Daily News tells us Meleanie Hain and her husband Scott have been found dead from an apparent murder/suicide following "a two-hour standoff with police outside their home."

Their headline calls her a "pistol-packin' soccer mom," and the story tells us "she gained national notoriety last year after she brought her loaded handgun to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game."

Notoriety. People who believe they have a right to the means of self defense are portrayed by the media as notorious. And kooky. And comments under this story--and in other accounts, reflect and amplify this, telling us about "those who live by the sword," some viciously disparaging Hain as a person, and generally exploiting this terrible incident to attack the notion that citizens have adequate competence or temperament to be trusted with guns.

Because we're not trained law enforcement "Only Ones," you see.

As with all developing stories, "facts" are subject to change as more developments and information unfolds. At this point, I note two additional factors to consider:

Several neighbors said they heard or saw the couple's children run from the house screaming, "Daddy shot Mommy!" shortly before the 911 Center was called at 6:20 p.m.
So the "pistol-packin' soccer mom" was not the shooter? Meaning neighbor Debbie Mise's I-told-you-so "she just wasn't right" hoplophobia may not have made her the predictor of events she seemingly claims to be? Meaning...what exactly... about comment posters taking swipes at all gun owners over this?

And the second piece of potentially relevant information?

Her husband was a parole officer in Berks County and a former prison guard at the State Correctional Institute in Camp Hill. He also had worked part-time for Lebanon County Central Booking.
The point here is not to point fingers at law enforcement--no group should bear responsibility for aberrant individual acts. That said, we cannot stand by while the fitness of citizens to keep and bear arms is disparaged on the grounds that we just haven't had proper vetting and training like the professionals.

For now, let's see how things continue to unfold. We'll no doubt learn much more in the coming hours and days. Hopefully, someone is there to take in and love the children, who truly are the main people to be concerned about now.

Excellent point. Only a superficial analysis would lead one to come to an anti-gun conclusion from this event. Too bad that's all the media likes to give.

hopnpop

imported post

AnaSaenz wrote:
It is sad for the children, but she definitely got what she deserved.... A lesson for all of us to learn. I keep a gun at home to protect myself from intruders, but never to intimidate children and others at soccer games.
Got what she deserved? You think anyone who carries a gun should be murdered? YOU are not right in the head. What happened to her had absolutely nothing to do with her carrying a pistol so your statement has absolutely no bearing. And if you are of the mindset that anyone who carried a gun in public "deserves" to be murdered, then you, ma'am, should not own a firearm. When she carried at soccer games, she was going from person to person, intimidating them, traumatizing the children... wait, I'm sorry, that's your dilusion I'm thinking about, not reality.

tdyoung58

imported post

I first met Meleanie at one of her daughters soccer games . . . I will miss her, spoke with her about 2 pm that day.... this sucks

inbox485

imported post

AnaSaenz wrote:
If she was not carrying a gun, the people would say " if she only had access to a gun, she would be ok" but she was carrying a gun. The problem she had was at home. With guns, can we really expect a different outcome? It is sad for the children, but she definitely got what she deserved.... A lesson for all of us to learn. I keep a gun at home to protect myself from intruders, but never to intimidate children and others at soccer games. The gun defenderes should stop defending this woman. she was nuts, and so was her husband. She should have never owned a gun.
You sir need help. She did not have a gun. And no even if she had a gun, being shot in the back in her own home would have made defending herself all but impossible. There was not a single child that was intimidated by her gun. Hoblophobia is learned through years of stupidity. I've never met a child that wasn't curious about guns. Saying that she got what she deserved for insisting on being prepared to defend her children is too low for words. As it seems it was her husband the POLICE OFFICER that never should have owned a gun.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AnaSaenz wrote:
"Fanaticism and ignorance are forever busy and need feeding." -Spencer Tracy portraying Mr. Drummond in Inherit the Wind.

fingers80002

imported post

A very emotional time today,(yesterday now) at the funeral.
There were lots of tears shed............

RIP Meleanie...........

Paul Volk

imported post

AnaSaenz wrote:

Great idea. I hear criminals only attack inside of homes in your part of the world.

:banghead:

R.I.P. Melanie.

Harper1227

imported post

Paul Volk wrote:
AnaSaenz wrote:

Great idea. I hear criminals only attack inside of homes in your part of the world.

:banghead:

R.I.P. Melanie.

I just happened to see this while doing some research today. i think it applies here.

28% of violent crimes happen within the home. 76% happen within 5 miles of the home.

So it would seem you are much more likely to have a violent attack while out shopping OR at a child's soccer game.

OC isnt about intimidation. its about security and responsibility to self and family.

Bureau of Justice Statistics: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/cvict_c.htm#place

edited to include this from webpage:

"

In 2008 -

• Almost 30% of violent crimes occurred in or near the victim’s home.

• For violent crime, about half occurred within a mile from home and 76% within five miles. Only 4% of victims of violent crime reported that the crime took place more than fifty miles from their home.

• About 18% of purse snatching/pocket pickings occurred inside a restaurant, bar or nightclub, 13% occurred in other commercial buildings and 10% occurred in parking lots or garages.

• Of victims of violent crime, 21% were involved in some form of leisure activity away from home at the time of their victimization, 28% were at home, and another 19% were at work or traveling to or from work when the crime occurred."

Harper1227

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Harper1227 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Great find Harper 1227 - I'll pass that on to PVC.
Bureau of Justice Statistics: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/cvict_c.htm#place

Yata hey
Thanks grape, what's PVC?
PVC = Philip Van Cleave, president of VCDL.

Yata hey
LOL ok! didn't realize he got a acronym :) sounds good. ill be seeing you soon!! :celebrate
Yep - he may be an (information) pipeline, but he's definitely not plastic. :)
I move from emails to forums and sometimes forget that different abbreviations are recognized.

Less than 48 hours to VCDL Freedom Rally. ! ! !

Yata hey

jahwarrior

imported post

AnaSaenz wrote:
you sick ****. i hope you someday get what you deserve.

Steve in PA

imported post

AnaSaenz wrote:
That is probably the most moronic post I've ever seen on the internet.