• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Million Gun Owner March will happen Spring 2010

unreconstructed1

imported post

With all due respect to all of you, because I know you are patriots like myself. There can be no guns, no ammo, no holsters, no gun-related items in the DC march. So please stop talking like there will be. It's a bad idea and we're not doing it. Please don't be offended, but that's how it has to be. I hope all of you understand that we are all ambassadors for the Second Amendment on this venue, not soldiers in a shooting war. This is peaceful. This has to be good PR or not at all.

Skip Coryell
Founder and Organizer
Second Amendment March

so because someone wishes to excercise his constitutional right in a march SUPPORTING that same constitutional right, the organizer insinuates that they will act like "soldiers in a shooting war"?!?!?! the notion of someone carrying would mean that there would be violence?

No "gun related items" at a pro 2A march? Why don'twe all shut upto show oursupport of the first ammendment while we're at it?

personally, I think that an empty holster march would be very fitting.

no offense to anyone involved, but this guy sounds like an idiot.

Orygunner

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
With all due respect to all of you, because I know you are patriots like myself. There can be no guns, no ammo, no holsters, no gun-related items in the DC march. So please stop talking like there will be. It's a bad idea and we're not doing it. Please don't be offended, but that's how it has to be. I hope all of you understand that we are all ambassadors for the Second Amendment on this venue, not soldiers in a shooting war. This is peaceful. This has to be good PR or not at all.

Skip Coryell
Founder and Organizer
Second Amendment March

so because someone wishes to excercise his constitutional right in a march SUPPORTING that same constitutional right, the organizer insinuates that they will act like "soldiers in a shooting war"?!?!?! the notion of someone carrying would mean that there would be violence?

No "gun related items" at a pro 2A march? Why don'twe all shut upto show oursupport of the first ammendment while we're at it?

While I agree that we need to be 100% law-abiding at all of the marches, and no firearms should be carried in Washington DC, I believe empty holsters and/or "fake" bright-colored firearms should be allowed. They've already taken my suggestion and changed their FAQ page to state that firearms WILL be allowed at the satellite marches where allowed by law, so it does seem kindof silly not to allow empty holsters or "representative" firearms in DC.

It would be like having a civil rights march against racial prejudice and having to leave the black people at home :uhoh:.

Get over to their forums and start discussing it! Skip doesn't appear to be a bonehead. He was open to my suggestion, and if enough people show the logic behind the open holster/representative firearm idea,they may changethat, too.

...Orygunner...

YllwFvr

imported post

I agree that holsters are a good idea, and while I have to thank the guy for organizing the march a pro 2A march that denies you the right to carry gun related items? Um thats kinda the whole point!

However, I have to disagree with the fake and colorful firearms. Cant you buy gun coloring kits? What about the "Pink Lady"? There are enough brightly colored firearms out there that I think the local authorities might well panic. And I wouldnt put it by some numbnuts to actually carry such a thing thinking they could pass it off.

I like to think highly of our fellow carriers but after reading about that fella in texas arrested for open carrying when his firearm was "concealed" in a backpack mesh pocket? Common sense is not always present in all of us. If the cops or security were doing some passive scanning of the crowd to look for imprints or openly carrierd firearms it would make it difficult on a massive scale to do so if half the crowd carried toy/airsoft/ or demo pistols. Not that I wouldnt mind walking proudly through the capitol in defense of my right with one of those solid blue glocks at my waist...

I hate to be a stick in the mud but it looks like trouble brewing is all.

I think holsters at least must be worn like those young men who wore to college to show support for the campus carry movement.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
However, I have to disagree with the fake and colorful firearms. Cant you buy gun coloring kits? What about the "Pink Lady"? There are enough brightly colored firearms out there that I think the local authorities might well panic. And I wouldnt put it by some numbnuts to actually carry such a thing thinking they could pass it off.

Agreed. I recently bought a non-black (thus non-evil) gun. It's great to have just to see the reactions. No one thinks it's real.

There are just too many idiots out there to allow even the most remote form of anything firearms related. Everyone can berate this guy as much as they want, but I can see exactly where he's coming from. Billy Joe Bob will show up with his RPG that he just spray painted bright purple and the madness will ensue.

old dog

imported post

I agree with Mr. Coryell. The march must be weapons-free. To suggest otherwise would be lucicrous in the extreme, not least because of the DC laws.

While an empty-holster protest would be benign it would add nothing to the demontration. Our mere presence shows our position.

Also it is important to remember that we will be surrounded by enemies, enemies that do not scruple to act as agents provocateurs and even purjure themselves. If you doubt this I refer you to Messrs. Olofson and Savage.

unreconstructed1

imported post

while I have to agree with the "no plastic guns" idea, I have to disagree about the empty holster not adding anything to the event. it is symbolic of the fact that the FED is trying to empty everyones holsters, i.e. infringement.

don't think symbols have an effect?

what do you instantly think of when you see this?

img-thing
or
symbol-black-power.jpg
or how about
800px-Rainbow-diagram-ROYGBIV.svg.png
?

regardless of whether you personally realize it, symbols serve a vital role in uniting people to a cause. they serve as an identifier, they serve as a rallying point, and even as an inspirational message to many, and they are critical. what better symbol to represent the loss of our second ammendment rights than an empty holster?

shad0wfax

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
while I have to agree with the "no plastic guns" idea, I have to disagree about the empty holster not adding anything to the event. it is symbolic of the fact that the FED is trying to empty everyones holsters, i.e. infringement.

[images removed to save space]

regardless of whether you personally realize it, symbols serve a vital role in uniting people to a cause. they serve as an identifier, they serve as a rallying point, and even as an inspirational message to many, and they are critical. what better symbol to represent the loss of our second ammendment rights than an empty holster?

I agree, and I feel that a few thousand empty holsters (or hopefully a few hundred-thousand empty holsters) will send a very clear message to our elected officials and to D.C. as well.

Edit:

P.S. I like your nickname. The Reconstruction was not something taught in any of my classes when I was in school, but I learned about it on my own (thanks to my dad) from books.

unreconstructed1

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
I agree, and I feel that a few thousand empty holsters (or hopefully a few hundred-thousand empty holsters) will send a very clear message to our elected officials and to D.C. as well.
not to mention that whenever it catches on and you start to see empty holsters present here and there where our rights are being abridged, empty holster stickers on cars, etc. it will build the momentum that this cause so desperately needs.
P.S.I like your nickname. The Reconstruction was not something taught in any of my classes when I was in school, but I learned about it on my own (thanks to my dad) from books.

Reconstruction was a dark time here. it left a scar on my homeland that still has yet to heal. Not to mention that what little history is actually taught regarding the period is warped and distorted in order to keep up with the P.C. federal myth. Thank you for your interest.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:

what do you instantly think of when you see this?

img-thing
or
symbol-black-power.jpg
or how about
800px-Rainbow-diagram-ROYGBIV.svg.png
?

If you want something symbolic I think an empty holster is pretty stupid. Look at what you posted. None of those things are in any way directly related to what they represent. They're simple symbols that can be easily and identically reproduced for use as pins, bumper stickers, logos, etc and recognized by anyone.

I agree that empty holsters should be allowed, but if you think it ever has a chance of doing what the pink ribbon (or now just that shade of pink) has done for breast cancer awareness you're crazy. The second amendment movement needs its own simple, repeatable symbol. Sure you can have someone make a super sweet empty holster logo, but it will completely lack what made all those other symbols so popular: simplicity.

altajava

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
Reconstruction was a dark time here. it left a scar on my homeland that still has yet to heal.
While I was born and raised a little further north than you, I have visited the south many times and find the way and pace of life there to be a preferable one.

"Now the coals of history are cold and still

but they still smell the powder burning and they probably always will"

Jeff Watts

imported post

I'll attend. I'll even drive a charter bus, if it'll help the cause. When I show up to march, I'll be wearing a suit and tie. I think it would be awesome if there were more suits and ties, and less mullets and missing teeth. Not trying to offend, just stating my opinion.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Jeff Watts wrote:
When I show up to march, I'll be wearing a suit and tie. I think it would be awesome if there were more suits and ties, and less mullets and missing teeth. Not trying to offend, just stating my opinion.

x infinity

The pro-gun rights crowd needs to be marketed as clean-cut, educated people (which most of them are). Every time the redneck, white trash, Bill Joe Bob stereotype the antis have exploited (not created, because it is real) is reinforced, the antis win.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I think I already shot this down on another forum.

I tend to believe that the only reason the 2nd amendment community should have a million man march on Washington DC is with the intent to take back the seats of our government by force.

If we could get closeted gun owners to excersize their rightful perrogative we could certainly change the tide of public opinion without going to Washington DC. The axiom that all politics is local, is as true as it ever was... Starting in our own neighborhood, city, county and state, we can effect greater change than we ever could by going national.

Jeff Watts

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:

I tend to believe that the only reason the 2nd amendment community should have a million man march on Washington DC is with the intent to take back the seats of our government by force.

If we could get closeted gun owners to excersize their rightful perrogative we could certainly change the tide of public opinion without going to Washington DC. The axiom that all politics is local, is as true as it ever was... Starting in our own neighborhood, city, county and state, we can effect greater change than we ever could by going national.
While there is a bit of truth to your statement, We need a successful nationwide event like this to galvanize ourselves, and start pushing forward. The biggest word in your statement is "If". We have to put the "Ifs" aside, and do it. We've been being pushed back for a long time. It's going to be hard to stop it and start pushing forward again, but we must.

Orygunner

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:

There are those that believe talk is done and are just waiting for a "trigger" to set off a violent overthrow of the federal government (or a "restoration" by force). Others believe it's still possible to work within the system and use or other rights of free speech and voting to affect change for the better.

I saw someone on one of these SAM threads state it in a way I'll agree with. To paraphrase: "If we have to come back here again (to DC), we WILL be armed."

...Orygunner...

N00blet45

imported post

I was encouraged and thought about going. Then I heard one of the radio interviews where Skip said there would be no firearms.

While I understand what he is trying to accomplish I don't subscribe to that way of thinking. What would we prove by bringing a million, two million, or even ten million people to DC just to obey an unconstitutional law? Isn't that what's been going on already?

All we're proving by showing up and not being civilly disobedient is that we're not happy but we'll continue to play nice. Imagine what the civil rights movement would have achieved if the blacks just kept drinking from their water fountains and stayed out of the white restaurants because they didn't want to break the law.

Obviously playing the game and trying to do things the legal way doesn't work. The NRA is the biggest lobby in DC and every year politicians propose even more absurd legislation attempting to limit our constitutionally guaranteed right to keep and bear arms. How many unconstitutional gun laws have they had repealed? The Supreme Court struck down the DC gun ban over eight months ago and I still haven't heard of anyone being able to carry legally in DC (if there has been please let me know I am genuinely interested).

I'm not advocating shooting up the town but I am not interested in going to a march for an idea where the practice of that idea isn't sanctioned.

If there is a satellite march in Tennessee or Kentucky I might go. Georgia (where I am) bans firearms at public gatherings so there probably won't be any armed marches in Atlanta. South Carolina and Florida have OC as illegal so they are out too.

old dog

imported post

As to the DC march, we need to be confrontational but we must choose our fights carefully. Remember, nothing is beneath our enemies. They not only hate us but hold us in total contempt.

As to Tennessee, we have been pretty much spoiled by a good governor (surprisingly, a Democrat) and a pretty good Legislature which got a lot better last November, so we aren't as militant as we should be. I would love to see a mass demonstration in Nashville but I don't hold out much hope. We've become too complacent and we lack a strong, active state organization -- one that really pushes. I so wish we had a counterpart of the VCDL.

Thundar

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
unreconstructed1 wrote:

Skip Coryell
Founder and Organizer
Second Amendment March

While I agree that we need to be 100% law-abiding at all of the marches, and no firearms should be carried in Washington DC, I believe empty holsters and/or "fake" bright-colored firearms should be allowed. They've already taken my suggestion and changed their FAQ page to state that firearms WILL be allowed at the satellite marches where allowed by law, so it does seem kindof silly not to allow empty holsters or "representative" firearms in DC.

It would be like having a civil rights march against racial prejudice and having to leave the black people at home :uhoh:.

Get over to their forums and start discussing it! Skip doesn't appear to be a bonehead. He was open to my suggestion, and if enough people show the logic behind the open holster/representative firearm idea,they may changethat, too.

...Orygunner...
My cap and ball revolver is not a firearm according to DC law.