• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MMM's & Bradys to lie in at Richmond gun show 10/20

HankT

State Researcher

IanB

imported post

I have about 55 minutes worth of video from 2 cameras I'm looking at on my end (Thanks for helping film, LW. Now HankT can add you to the "TW" list.) IT will take me a bit to watch it all and edit before posting.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Well...our guys held the signs high and made a good showing....but....in all fairness, the Moms made a good showing on at least one piece of tape:celebrate

Edited for content-LW

Tomahawk

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Well...our guys held the signs high and made a good showing....but....in all fairness, the Moms made a good showing on at least one piece of tape:celebrate

Edited for content-LW
Mackin' on MMMr's? tsk tsk tsk

Marco

imported post

rose_wilted.gif

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I was tempted by the Dark Side.:shock:

I was viewing the files in slow motion and when I got to that segment....I damn near went out and bought tofu and a minivan.:what:

You don't suppose that was....The Million Mom March....Do you?:uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

What did you expect? Unbiased, honest reporting?
Tell a lie often enough, leave out important facts and distort the news and people will quote it as gospel. If the happening is not in accordance with your agenda, make it not news worthy.

We must be doing something right or the MMMs would not be upset with us.

Yata hey

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Great work folks!

Here are all the links I can find right now:

NBC 12 story with video - http://www.nbc12.com/news/state/10691606.html?skipthumb=Y

SNIP

“We had a problem at Virginia Tech, but it wasn't the gun, it was somebody that picked up that tool and had the blackness of the heart to actually murder someone and that's the problem,” said Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. . . . “There is nothing you can do inside a gun show that you can't do outside a gun show,” said Van Cleave. “A person who is selling privately isn't required to do a background check to sell you a gun, but that's true anywhere. If you came to my house, and I wanted to sell you a gun...I don't need to do that.”

--

CBS 6 story - http://www.wtvr.com/global/story.asp?s=7242809

SNIP

Counter-protesters at the gun show todaysay the problem isn't with the state's gun laws, but with the people who commit such heinous crimes.

--

RTD news item - http://tinyurl.com/2x7umk

SNIP

It didn't take long for gun-show outriders to cross the street to the church yard and reach the perimeter of the lie-in protest. As TV and video cameras rolled, there was jostling for exposure among the two sets of sign-carrying advocates. "Yes, I tried to get in the way on purpose. I have a right to state my view as much as they do," said Chesterfield County resident Paul Henick. "They can't muzzle me." Henick, who wore a badge from the **Citizen Defense League**, loomed over the recumbent victims with a half-dozen other gun-rights activists. He carried a sign that stated: "This is what happens when people are denied effective means of self-defense." "If I'm an activist, I have to be active," Henick said.

--

Also, an internet posting of a counter protester video:
Edited for content-LW
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/?action=view&current=signlt_3.flv

IanB

imported post

Here's a video after the Lie-In where MMM's talked to VCDL members.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J8EejL0hn4k

I'll have one more, but I've got stuff to do today (I'll give you a hint, I bought a new gun yesterday!). It will hopefully be up later tonight or tomorrow.

I'm working on a 10 minute video that will be a collage of snippets leading up to the protest, and then the actual "Lie-In".

Mike

Site Co-Founder

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Whew.....I'd hate to be known as the one that put a closeup of the Dragon Ladys posterior on Utube.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have just spent about an hour writing out and them dumping about a dozen versions of an e-mail to the reporter from the Richmond Times Dispatch, and another e-mail toto that paper's Ombudsman, about this:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2007-10-21-0283.html
Activists square off
Both sides state their case during protest near gun show

Sunday, Oct 21, 2007 - 12:08 AM

#articleMediaPanelOuter {width: 310px;padding-right:5px;float:left;}
#articleMediaPanelFrame {position:relative;border: 1px solid #666;background: white;}
.articleMediaPanelTools {height: 90px;}
.articleMediaPanelInfoBox {padding-top:5px;}

Article Tools

Email a Friend

RSS
digg it

Printer Friendly
Mobile Alerts
]http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2007-10-21-0283.html]
sphereicon.gif
Sphere IT
[/url]
Save This Page

document.getElementById('sphereIt').href="http://www.sphere.com/search?q=sphereit:"+"http://www.inrich.com"+location.pathname;
document.getElementById('MGDiggLink').href="http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url="+escape(location.href)+"&title="+escape("Activists square off")+"&bodytext="+escape("As police looked on warily, more than 50 gun-control advocates gathered for a protest, sponsored by the Virginia chapter of the Million Mom March, against a gun-sale loophole. ")+"&topic=world_news";
document.getElementById('MGPrintLink').href = location.pathname.replace(".apx.",".PrintView.");
var emailUrl = location.pathname.substring(0,location.pathname.indexOf(".apx."))+".emailForm.html?handle="+escape('/content/articles/RTD/2007/10/21/0283')+"&link="+escape(location.pathname);
function newWindow(url,name,width,height) {
window.open(url, name, "toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,directories=no, status=no,menubar=no,resizable=no,width=" + width + ",height=" + height);
}

By BILL MCKELWAY
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Guns and death are a troublesome mix, even on the lawn of Mosby Memorial Baptist Church.

As police looked on warily, more than 50 gun-control advocates gathered for a protest, sponsored by the Virginia chapter of the Million Mom March, against a gun-sale loophole.

The loophole, which exists in a majority of states, allows private, face-to-face sales or trades of weapons without background checks.

Across Mechanicsville Turnpike, hundreds of gun enthusiasts filled The Showplace poring over the latest in weaponry, and a handful of gun-rights advocates gathered on the edge of the highway.

The pleasantries of the two camps grew somber at noon: 32 advocates of clamping down on gun-show loopholes, each signaled by a gong stroke, lay supine on the ground, symbolizing Seung-Hui Cho's 32 shooting victims at Virginia Tech on April 16.

It didn't take long for gun-show outriders to cross the street to the church yard and reach the perimeter of the lie-in protest. As TV and video cameras rolled, there was jostling for exposure among the two sets of sign-carrying advocates.

"Yes, I tried to get in the way on purpose. I have a right to state my view as much as they do," said Chesterfield County resident Paul Henick. "They can't muzzle me."

Henick, who wore a badge from the Citizen Defense League, loomed over the recumbent victims with a half-dozen other gun-rights activists. He carried a sign that stated: "This is what happens when people are denied effective means of self-defense."

"If I'm an activist, I have to be active," Henick said.

Loophole protestors were just as vociferous.

"If Virginia Tech isn't enough to change the law, I don't know what the hell is," said 79-year-old June Hazlehurst, a longtime gun-control advocate and organizer. "Pardon my language," she added.

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine, in an executive order after the Virginia Tech shootings, corrected language in state law that allowed Cho to purchase weapons even though he had been judged mentally ill. But gun-control advocates said yesterday that Cho still would have been able to purchase guns at gun shows from private sellers where background checks are not required.

"What we are trying to do is make people aware -- to do something visible and important to prevent the senseless killings that go on in this country from guns," said Richmond resident Andrew Goddard, whose son, Colin, survived the Tech shootings. Daughter Emma, 15, and Goodard's wife, Anne, were among those who took part in the lie-in.

"My son still carries three bullets in his leg," said Andrew Goddard, who helped lead the protest. "I don't want to do anything to prevent people from owning a weapon, but it is inexcusable that more isn't done to stop sales to people who are a danger."

Efforts to close the loophole in Virginia law have never come close to passing the General Assembly. But there will be another effort next year and Hazlehurst said the Virginia Tech tragedy may be a catalyst for passage.

Gun shows at The Showplace, said Richmond's Mosby Court public-housing resident Patricia Williford, are a sore spot.

"It sits right in the middle of the projects. We're filled with guns, with people dying, and there doesn't have to be a background check."

Henick was persistent in his defense of limited controls.

Existing gun-control laws, he argued, allowed Cho to do what he did. If guns were permitted on the Tech campus, Cho would never have lived long enough to kill his victims.

"Things would have ended a lot differently," Henick said.

Things did end differently yesterday for the supine, shoulder-to-shoulder protesters who portrayed victims of the massacre.

They were able to get up and walk away. Under the watchful eye of police.
There are enough distortions and outright lies there to choke on. Fortunately, I had a few good friends standing by while this :cuss:reporter was "interviewing" me to back me up on that claim as far as the quotes he attributes to me. Now I know that reporters never report accurately, and that they twist things to fit their own agenda. That's not what bothers me.

What bothers me is that I think I pulled something in my back and side from laughing so hard as I read the article, and then as I laughed when trying to compose those e-mails I mentioned at the top. Every time I read one of McKelway's distortions I broke out laughing. Every time I read words I never uttered as direct quotes, I broke out laughing.

If it had not been for the fact that I finally realized that folks who were not there but read about the event in the paper will believe every word as gospel truth, I would still be laughing. Now I'm about ready to cry.

Looking for the silver lining in this cloud, I guess that in spite of being old, broken in bone and body [but never in spirit], out of shape, and almost never carrying a reload, I have a new reputation as one to be feared for his mere presence.

I'm off to practice my looming. I really feel I did not give my best performance yesterday. Hopefully by the next Richmond OCDO dinner I will be up to snuff. I announce now that I will not charge for autographs at my looming demonstration.

stay safe.

skidmark

editing to add:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J8EejL0hn4k At least here I am quoted accurately. And yes, that cap IS bright - I bought it because itmeets ANSI II standards - just one more layer of self protection.:lol:

stay safe.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The channel 12 report talks about Andy Goddard, whose son survived VT.

Has anyone spoken to the son?

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the son now applied for a CHL?

sjhipple

imported post

peter nap wrote:
There was a lot of traffic noise and not much good audio except for an old fellow that told mie he wasa "Radical" and a "Hunter" and "owned 3 guns". Later he told me he he wanted the loophole closed because "terrorists could buy guns at gunshows"...Where do they get this stuff.
Geez. Is there any right Americans won't give up because of 'dem der terrrrrists. Give me a break. When did we become such wimps?

bayboy42

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Here's a video after the Lie-In where MMM's talked to VCDL members.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J8EejL0hn4k

I'll have one more, but I've got stuff to do today (I'll give you a hint, I bought a new gun yesterday!). It will hopefully be up later tonight or tomorrow.

I'm working on a 10 minute video that will be a collage of snippets leading up to the protest, and then the actual "Lie-In".

naked....the first guy speaking in your video doesn't have his facts straight. Suggest leaving his snippet out or your 10-minute video. He stated "Of Course!. You know you cannot possess a handgun under federal law, unless you're under parental supervision, unless you're 21." I think we know what he meant to say but it can't be guaranteed that others will.

I'm pretty sure it was you I heard at the 4:04 mark who made the most straight forward and simply put statement needed: "Cho bought his gun from a gun store with a background check ma'am. He didn't buy it at a gun show or from a private seller." What else needs to be said? :cuss:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tess wrote:
The channel 12 report talks about Andy Goddard, whose son survived VT.

Has anyone spoken to the son?

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the son now applied for a CHL?
I would be willing to provide Goddard's son with transportation and pay for his CHP!

Yata hey

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

peter nap wrote:

Edited for content-LW

Posting this here probably doesn't help the cause any.. Any woman you may have run onto yesterday that was on the fence and making her first visit to OCDO would see that, and probably never return...

You've got to think about the big picture..