• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More proof that gunshow policies are dumb.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Perhaps I should clarify my "what?" How can unintentionally dropping a nuke have nothing to do with negligence?

Anybody have a link to the story?

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

It was a few decades ago and they never found it. It was due to a mid-air collision from a F-86 sabre and a b-27?? the first U.S. modern bomber to use a swept wing and modern turbine engines.

The history and military channel has had specials about it every now and then, and it was no mistake the pilot decided to drop his cargo to save his crue and his plane the pilot saved his crue and landed safely.

Last edited:

KBCraig

I think the point that some are trying to make is that it is downright impossible to have an ND if the weapon never leaves your holster!

Every time the weapon is taken out of the holster increases the CHANCE that you may have an ND.

This is exactly right.

The blame for the ND lies with the person who fired it. The blame for putting the person in a situation that resulted in an ND lies with the gun show's silly rules.

Loading/unloading and reholstering are when most NDs happen. Guns that are holstered and stay that way simply don't go bang.

NHCGRPR45

This is exactly right.

The blame for the ND lies with the person who fired it. The blame for putting the person in a situation that resulted in an ND lies with the gun show's silly rules.

Loading/unloading and reholstering are when most NDs happen. Guns that are holstered and stay that way simply don't go bang.

I was at the trade show at Gibraltar, they have the barrel with sand and the guy in front of me was trying to unload his gun and pointed it at me then the security guy it was a 1911 of some sort carried the way it should be hammer back round in chamber. I was not impressed and politely mentioned the lack of muzzle awareness, the guy blew it off and continued on into the show. The security guy I talked to mentioned people who drop there guns, some who just point the gun at the barrel and pull the trigger without checking to see if it was loaded or not. Also sand is not a great stopper of bullets unless its a direct hit, and the sand barrel wont stop a round discharged at an angle that dosen't allow for enough depth penetration, a few inches wont do. If the bullet hits at an angle it would have little trouble going through a few inches of sand the hard plastic barrel then continue on. Its just a bad idea to have people loading and un-loading in that kind of enviroment. Yes I agree that if I follow all the cardinal rules of gun safety I will most probably never have an AD/ND barring a part failure, guns are machines, machines break. Not everyone has the training to stay safe 100% of the time I would prefer to not have to un-load my gun in a public place for the obvious reason that my gun is not loaded, or that that everyone in visual distance now knows I am in possesion of a gun that is un-loaded and has a zip tie through the barrel and that I am now an easy target.

This is a classic example of a "feel good" rule it makes the rule maker feel good that they have done something, anything to make it "safer" for themselves, when in fact it does the absolute opposite.

Not to mention that while I was standing behind numerous people that were un-loading there guns every one of them turned the gun sideways so that the round would fall into the sand was pointed nearly at a right angle away from the sand so that if a shot hand been fired it would have hit someone either paying for the show or someone already inside only 2 had the gun pointed directly at the sand. Both I assume were prior military since they had Army PT uniforms on.

Its an unsafe practice to do this, I am not questioning anyone here that they may be unsafe just that the practice of forcing to manipulate a firearm in such a crowded enviroment is asking for and accident. An improvement would be to have a trained range officer disarm and unload the firearm then if the person wanted to reload his gun the same person could reload the patrons firearm that way you at least eliminate the randomness of it and the level of skill at firearm manipulation would never change, same person doing the same thing and that would be his/her only job. Still not perfect but better. Best would be just to leave it alone guns don't shoot themselves!

lil_freak_66

excessive holstering and unholstering on leather holsters can lead to excessive wear and can cause discharges when reholstering.

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/f...her-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

I think it should be like any good gunshop or sporting goods store, loaded carry is fine unless the firearm is to be brought in for repair, appraisal, holster checking, showing off etc.. in which case it is to be unloaded and encased

I also feel that no matter how safe you are, theres always a potential for a negligent discharge, and the more you handle it the higher likelyhood you have of something happening.

B

Bikenut

This is exactly right.

I disagree. The blame still lies with the person who decided to attend a gun show that had silly rules... and then decided to agree to that silly rule instead of simply going home.

griffin

Since we're talking about NDs here...hot off the presses.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_pinellas/woman-taken-to-hospital-after-shot-at-church

Church_Shooting_20120212163402_320_240.JPG

PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla - A pastor's daughter was rushed to Bayfront Medical Center after she was accidentally shot in the head at church Sunday, said authorities.

Church service had just let out at Grace Connection church in Saint Petersburg when three men gathered to look at a gun.

Dustin Bueller, 20, was looking to buy a gun for his 21st birthday that was coming up. He approached Moises Zambrana, 48, a fellow member of the congregation who owned a Reuger 9mm. The two men walked into a closet located in the recreation room of the church to look at the gun in private.

They were joined by John Penu, 19, who was also interested in learning about the firearm. Zambrana had removed the gun's magazine and was in the process of telling the two young men about firearm safety when the gun went off. The bullet went through the closet wall and struck Hannah Kelley in the head.

Kelley is the daughter of pastor Tim Kelly, who oversees Grace Connection congregation.

Kelley underwent emergency surgery. She is listed in critical condition.

stainless1911

Banned
Proper gun handling is the responsibility of the person handling the gun. That inescapable fact was never up for debate. Handling a gun, experienced or not, increases the chance of a failure, either human or otherwise. Handling the gun increases those odds, not handling a gun decreases those odds.

1ADAM12

.40S&W

Handling a gun, experienced or not, increases the chance of a failure, either human or otherwise. Handling the gun increases those odds, not handling a gun decreases those odds.

This is a blanket statement, in other words stated in opinion not fact.

.40S&W

No it isn't. It's an opinion. Thanks for attempting to rebutt my statement though spiderman.

.40S&W

Oh yeah I'm sure it's come true for many people but not all people. Once again, blanket statement.