• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first and last open carry story

RussP

imported post

echo6tango wrote:
...Then I hear, "Hey, are you a cop?" Not knowing if the guy was talking to me, I turned my head in his direction and said, "What?" Again, this time a bit agitated, he asked "I said are you a cop?"
I’ll be in VA most of this coming weekend…and for the first time in over a year, my pistol will not be hidden.

I have been asked this numerous times. Depending on the demeanor of the person, I'd do one three things....

1. If the person seems nervous, "Sir/Ma'am, you seem nervous," and reaching for my cell, "No, I am not, but I am calling 911 right now. Tell me why you need the police," as I punch 91_, holding off the last digit. That has always resulted in, "No, I don't need the police. I just saw..."

2. If they seem okay, I'll still ask first if "we" need the police and pull out my cell. These have had the same results as #1.

3. If the person is relaxed, smiling, and their tone of voice reflects their body language, I just say, no, I'm just a regular Virginian like you. Now, that gets some out of staters to admit they are from MD, or NYC, etc. Then the conversation turns to, "Guess you are not use to seeing normal people carrying firearms, huh?"

The first two, initiating the call to 911, illustrates, hopefully, I am a good guy, cause how many bad guys are going to call the cops on themselves. It also means if, like the OP, calling 911 and letting them hear the guy ranting, you're only one button away.

These work for me. YMMV.

:cool:

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

So en erratic, foul mouthed, libral is going to cause you to make the decision to not carry a weapon and defend yourself? You're willing to put yourself and your family at risk because of some asshole?

Every hear the expression: "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink"?

I think YOU are in the wrong here, Sir.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

P.S.

There are several things I carry with my daily, aside from my keys, wallet, and pocket change. Those things are the following:

Sig Sauer SP2340 cocked, loaded, and retained in a hip holster

2 extra 12 round magazines full of .40 Hornay TAP FPD

Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops Tactical folder (2.75" blade)

ALS Top Cop OC spray (stream)

SAS Flint and Steal (fire starter).

Cell phone

Lawyers Business card

Be prepared

-----

Bravo_Sierra

Las Vegas Open Carry

sitedzn

imported post

probably because it's a DA/SA pistol? one main reason i don't carry my 1911 too often is because the hammer keeps catching on my shirt (yeah yeah i mostly CC). my bersa is da/sa, and i always decock it for the same reason. i'm still condition 1.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Sig Sauer SP2340 cocked, loaded, and retained in a hip holster

You carry a 2340 cocked?

Yes. Carrying a uncocked weapon is stupid.

Why would you assume that I carry it uncocked?
There a lot of reasons and a lot of guns that doing that just wouldn't be the smartest way of carrying. Though my Ruger won't fire even if dropped, I can't carry cocked with safety off because it has a safety/decocker. If the hammer is back and the safety is placed on, it decocks. Period.

So by your statement, I must therefore be stupid too.

33 posts and already making friends...

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

sitedzn wrote:
probably because it's a DA/SA pistol? one main reason i don't carry my 1911 too often is because the hammer keeps catching on my shirt (yeah yeah i mostly CC). my bersa is da/sa, and i always decock it for the same reason. i'm still condition 1.

Well, perhaps I'm more paranoid, or perhaps I'm more ready. You make the decision.

Regardless, I'd rather not take that extra second on a draw to cock the hammer.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Index_finger.jpg

That is your saftey. Use it! :banghead:

sitedzn

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
sitedzn wrote:

Well, perhaps I'm more paranoid, or perhaps I'm more ready. You make the decision.

Regardless, I'd rather not take that extra second on a draw to cock the hammer.
if it's da/sa, there is no need to cock the hammer. pull the trigger and bang. the only thing cocking the hammer will do for you is shorten your pull and lessen the weight of the pull. believe me, i much rather shoot my bersa sa because the da pull is like 12lbs vs the 3 when cocked. and with such a small gun, that's a huge difference (to me at least). oh, and i may decock the hammer with the safety, but the safety comes off right away afterwards - maybe this is our disconnect?

IanB

imported post

OK, take my comments as discussion please... I'm not criticizing you or how you carry. But if you feel seconds count, you need to learn (and practice) how to shoot DA on the first shot. Carrying a Sig with the hammer cocked is begging for a ND. I dare you to head over to sigforum and ask how many of those guys carry with your method. Lastly, if you are in a real situation where you need to shoot a bad guy, you're not going to have the fine motor coordination like you have come to expect while range shooting. This can lead to sloppy mistakes, and a finger on the DA trigger while you are still in your draw motion, shooting yourself in the thigh. I'm not saying if you carry this method you will %100 have a ND, but your chances are certainly higher.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Maybe my 2340 is broken?

When I first got the weapon, and after reading the manual, I did exactly what you suggested. I cocked the weapon, hit the decocker, then pulled the trigger.

Hammer goes back, hammer goes forward, all I hear is *click.* No bang.

What am I missing? Do I need a new pistol?

IanB

imported post

2340's are DA/SA or DAO triggers. There is not a SAO 2340. If you can't decock and then pull DA on a live round and have it go off, you should have a gunsmith check your pistol. Did you purchase this pistol new?

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
2340's are DA/SA or DAO triggers. There is not a SAO 2340. If you can't decock and then pull DA on a live round and have it go off, you should have a gunsmith check your pistol. Did you purchase this pistol new?
Yes.. this makes me worry. I'll take it to a Sig Gunsmith ASAP.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Yes.. this makes me worry. I'll take it to a Sig Gunsmith ASAP.

Wow, yes, PLEASE get that gun in for repair.

SP2340 was not designed for "cocked" carry.
It is a DA/SA and was designed to be carried hammer down. DA (double action) first pull IS the safety.

It has no safety device in cocked condition (other than your finger)
Not that your finger is faulty :) but this is universally not an accepted "safe" way to carry a DA/SA gun.

Get that puppy fixed! :)

IanB

imported post

Before you do that (gunsmith), you might ask if anyone else has experienced this on sigforums.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Before you do that, you might ask if anyone else has experienced this on sigforums.

I'm at work and a pervious employee got out IP range banned from sigfurums :cuss:I'll check it when I get home from work!

Thanks again.