• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first and last open carry story

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I'm really gonna have to take some photos of my OCing in Vegas and show everyone here. I think it would really surprise people!

Bravo_Sierra

Las Vegas OC trouble maker!

sitedzn

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Thanks for the info guys, sorry for being an ass :?I hope yall don't think I'm a toruble maker!
We are OC'ers man. We are ALL "trouble makers"... remember?
;)

+1

all you got to do is read a couple of the topics to realize this is true:D

oh, and B_S, i have no problems at all. i learned a long time ago never to assume that just because you have something doesn't mean you know how to use it. and please don't take that as any type of critizism (sp?) - i'm just skeptical by nature. no personal attacks intended. believe me, if i was, you'd know;).

Tomahawk

imported post

This is my safety...although mine's much smaller than the size shown. Also, I think part of it is broken.

Brain.gif

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Chopper Dad wrote:
echo6tango wrote:
For some reason, I thought telling him that would diffuse the situation and he'd be like, "Oh, okay, I suppose it's cool then." I will not be offering information in the future.
Hi e6t-

I'm not about to second-guess you or suggest what you should or should not have said; in a situation like that, we're invariably caught by surprise and at something of a loss for how to best handle the situation. Maybe after the 7th or 8th time... but not the first.

Nevertheless, I've often thought about what I'd say in a similar situation, or if simply asked if I was LE, and I keep coming back to therealization that I'm under no obligation to say anything whatsoever. Or, if I reallyfeel that I must respond in some way, perhaps a response along the lines of "Sir, I'm not at liberty to discuss what I do for a living". Providing information of any sort invariably provides the antagonist with additional data by which he can continue his assault. Saying less... or nothing at all... seems to me one of the better ways to avoid worsening an already unpleasant situation.

Obviously, being askedby LE if I, too, am LE presents a different scenario.

Good luck and welcome!
CD
I agree with this, the less ammunition you give them to fight back with the better.

If they keep making points, they are making themselves look out of order. They give you leverage while you do nothing.

I would not down right ignore them, I would try once to answer the question in a civil manner, if things head south, I would advise them of the legality and end it there.

Of course, if things escalate again, a call the the police wouldn't be a bad idea, as they would be aware of the situation and get your side first.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Yes.. this makes me worry. I'll take it to a Sig Gunsmith ASAP.

Wow, yes, PLEASE get that gun in for repair.

SP2340 was not designed for "cocked" carry.
It is a DA/SA and was designed to be carried hammer down.  DA (double action) first pull  IS the safety.

It has no safety device in cocked condition (other than your finger)
Not that your finger is faulty :)  but this is universally not an accepted "safe" way to carry a DA/SA gun. 

Get that puppy fixed! :)

Thank God he lives in Las Vegas. I have this horrible image of a Norfolk LEO tugging on his pistol to disarm him (in the name of safety for the Officer of course) during their normal harassment activities, and ... Well .... BANG!

Regards

Opie

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
P.S.

There are several things I carry with my daily, aside from my keys, wallet, and pocket change. Those things are the following:

Sig Sauer SP2340 cocked, loaded, and retained in a hip holster

2 extra 12 round magazines full of .40 Hornay TAP FPD

Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops Tactical folder (2.75" blade)

ALS Top Cop OC spray (stream)

SAS Flint and Steal (fire starter).

Cell phone

Lawyers Business card

Be prepared

-----

Bravo_Sierra

Las Vegas Open Carry
Sounds like a well thought out list. I'd also suggest a small flashlight. I have found that the pen sizedmag-light carries very well in my front pocket next to my Swiss Army knife. It's not the brightest, but works in an emergency.

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
I had two experiences in my neighboorhood after I started to open carry.

1.) Walking the dogs. Lady who just moved i up the street from me stops me and says: "Are you a a police officer?" I say "Do I look like a police officer?" (I have much longer hair now now that I am out of the service).

Her: "Then why are you carrying a gun?"
Me: "To protect myself."
Her: "Well, I don't think you should be able to do that."
Me: "Lucky for me, how you FEEL has no bearing on me protecting myself. Let me guess, you just moved to VA from MD."
Her "How did you know?"
Me: "Lucky guess." :banghead:

2.) Walking the dogs. Pass by neighbor unpacking his work truck.

Him: "Hey, what do you plan on doing with that gun, you planning shooting someone?"
Me: " Do you have car insurance?"
Him: "What?"
Me: " Do you have car insurance?"
Him: "Of course I do!"
Me: "So, are you planning on crashing into someone?"
Him: "No."
Me: "But, if you do, you have it, right?"
Him: "Sure."
Me: "Same with me."
Him: " Oh....."

Funny! Great answers!

Tomahawk

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Vick has not been found guilty in a court of law. Lets not act like the media and hang him before his day in court.

Actually, he's a public figure and I'm not on his jury, so I think I'll just hang him now. Sorry, I'm just a mean guy (side effect of being an Eagles fan).

IanB

imported post

What's the story on the Sig Pro that wouldn't fire in DA mode? BS did you get it serviced or looked at? What did the gunsmith say?

C/O for life

imported post

Let me tell you my story while visiting Piedmont Mall in Danville. I was oc ing and i noticed the 3 mall mounties watching me:what:,a few minutes later i was approached by the head of security and asked why i had a gun.I explained to him that it was my right,he said why would you need a gun the mall is for shopping. He told me i would need to leave because i was causing a hostile enviroment for the patrons.I asked if their was a signs stating i could not carry ,he said at every doorway coming into the mall.i looked on every door and saw nothing.i was informed by one of his subordinates that it was on the sign as you enter mall property.(written so small you would never see it unless you stopped in traffic to read it)The security head told me that if everyone carried a gun that it would be the "OLD WEST ALL OVER AGAIN".He then tried to compare me to a gang member who thought he was "BAD BECAUSE HE HAD A GUN".I told him that he was brain washed by the "liberal media"and was a lemming.:D(one of the other guards there started snickering).I have never had any problems in the past 10 years of o.c-ing.I leftand have decided that from now on c.c carry in the mall.(BETTER TO BE JUDGED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY SIX)

mvpel

imported post

The guy in the first post sounds a lot like my encounter with the renowned "Crazy Karen," a homeless old gal in downtown Manchester, New Hampshire last Tuesday.

Takes all kinds, I guess.