• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nation's Gun Show this weekend

nova

imported post

boy am I going to be sore later. I carried 2K rounds of steel-cased 7.62x39 all the way to the far end of the lot without a cart all at once!

Ed, I hope your father's choice works out for him well and I'm glad to be of assistance. :)

EDIT: as of now I have been awake for 27hrs straight and am still going strong.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Just got back from the show a short while ago (20 minutes?). The place was packed and that is no surprise. Ammo tables had line wrapping around them and the stuff was going fast. Some very good deals to be had. I agonized over an XD40, new, for $419.99!! Their XD9 was the same price. Didn't think to check the XD45. Dark Sun was the FFL and yes, I know they have an attitude, but for $419.99, one could put up with that for 30 minutes. Man did I agonize.

SouthernBoy

imported post

nova wrote:
did you give in? :celebrate
No, but I am still considering it. Could always go back one day over the weekend. My wife just said less than 2 minutes ago, "Why don't you get it? It's not going to be at that price forever."

It's killing me.. I've become so discriminating in my gun purchases.

W.E.G.

imported post

Chantilly gun show sit-rep (Friday night)

The lines were huge.
They now have FIVE money-takers at the front of the building.
The show opened at 3:00.
At 4:45, each line was still easily 100 deep.

There are ZERO 9mm Glock pistols in the building.
Not one.
No G17
No G19
No G26
Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Trader Jerry did have one specimen of the Glock generation 4.
A G22 with the skateboard-tape grip, and swoopy- cocking serrations.
I found the skateboard grip to be every bit as repulsive as I had feared.. They must have had to work hard to RUIN a Glock.
The newfangled swoopy cocking serrations provided a much less secure grasping surface than the design Glock has successfully marketed for twenty years.
Yep. They ruined it.

Dark Sun had a few of the generation 2 police trade-in G22’s.
They appeared to be worn so smooth, that skateboard tape would actually be an improvement.

Meanwhile the various-and-sundry smaller vendors were all heard preaching to the uninitiated the wonders of oddball Glocks in stupid calibers like .357 SIG and .45 GAP.

Any new Glock – even in some stupid caliber or configuration – was running in the mid-500’s

Overall, there was not a lot of AR-15 type rifles – at least not compared to years gone by.
When that type of rifle could be found, the prices were pretty consistently a solid $350 more than the same gun was priced at this time last year.
Same could be said for AK-47 type rifles, except that there were VERY FEW of those.
I think there were three FAL's in the building - all over $1200.

Dark sun had some SAIGA guns at fairly reasonable prices.
The 7.62x39 SAIGA was around $325.
The 12 gauge SAIGA was around $625 – too high in my opinion, but I’m sure the geeks will pay it, as it does seem to be the market price for that monstrosity.

Dark Sun has Ruger 10-22 rifles at GREAT prices.
$170 for blued -- $210 for stainless w/synthetic stock.

Nagants were still under $100.

Ammo was stupid priced.
PER ROUND
62 cents for .223 green-tip
40 – 48 cents for .223 55-grain FMJ
9mm ball for 22 cents
7.62x39 for 33 cents
45 ACP for 33 cents
.308 (7.62 NATO - Radway) for 50 cents (nearly a “bargain” in this market

If ammo prices don’t come down, the shooting game is OVER for most people.
How many gun owners on an hourly wage can shoot even one magazine of 7.62 ammo without feeling a pinch?
NONE.
Even shooters with damn good income are going to have to think twice about burning more than 10 minutes worth of ammo.

Having said that, the ammo vendors had lines 10-deep waiting to hand over their credit card to get scorched.
I predict that the ammo vendors will sell out all case-lots by mid-day Saturday.

One of the ammo vendors had a few cases of MRE’s that looked like they had un-expired orange stickers.
Dunno the price.

Shitloads of knives.
Dumb-ass knife vendors trying to get stupid prices on Chinese knives.
The usual artsy knife guys there too.

A few jewelry vendors.
Bleah.

I saw a Fabrique Nationale SCAR on the table by the wall over in the rear on the right.
They wanted $10,000 for it. I laughed out loud in at the guy behind the table.
Those are the guys who won’t let you pick up the guns even after you ask nicely.
At least I do sort of admire them for being CONSISTENTLY the biggest assholes at the show.
Truly, I think they make “ponytail” at Dark Sun look like Mr. Rogers.

The double-barrel shotgun and Luger guys by the door were keeping the aisles near the front clear – just like they always do. 99.999% of the customers blasted by them as if they didn’t exist. Kind of a shame. Some of those doubles were very nice.

kle

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
The double-barrel shotgun and Luger guys by the door were keeping the aisles near the front clear – just like they always do. 99.999% of the customers blasted by them as if they didn’t exist. Kind of a shame. Some of those doubles were very nice.
No one has $10K to spend on a gun that only shoots twice =)

I didn't see any used S&W 14s or 25/625s there...I'm kinda bummed. CZs (and everything else) were overpriced, as expected. That or I've had my head in the sand for the past three months...

And I discovered that after walking around for four hours and squeezing all kinds of triggers, the triggers on my guns in comparison were actually pretty darn nice =)

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

tag wrote:
How's the availability on stripped AR-15 lowers?
I saw a few at one table in particular. They were running about $210 to $230 depending on the roll mark. Couldn't hardly get thru the crowd at Dark Sun's tables to see what they may have.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ran into SouthernBoy while standing in line to get in to the show. We had a nice chat with an out of state couple. This was thier first gun show as I understood them.

Ran into him again as he was agonizing over the SD.

It was nice meeting you, hope to run into you again!

Chuckles

imported post

nova wrote:
boy am I going to be sore later. I carried 2K rounds of steel-cased 7.62x39 all the way to the far end of the lot without a cart all at once!

Wuss, I carried two thousand rounds with one hand no problem.

OK, so mine was .22 LR caliber,:D but it's still kinda heavy and I had to walk all the way to the parking lot of Holiday Inn (yes, I had to park that far out!)

tag

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
tag wrote:
I saw a few at one table in particular. They were running about $210 to $230 depending on the roll mark. Couldn't hardly get thru the crowd at Dark Sun's tables to see what they may have.
That's the only reason I was going to go.. I'm beginning to think it might be a waste of time and money, since I definitely don't want to spend over $200 on a stripped lower.

soloban

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Chuckles wrote:
Is it just me or does it seem to everybody there is less and less to be found at the gun shows now-a-days?
That is *so* not true! It is so very easy to find all your Nazi paraphernalia, your melee weapons coveted by pre-pubescent boys, the scores and SCORES of paintings and crafts/jewelry. . .and let us not forget that fine gentlemen present every gunshow who sets off the stun baton every 10 minutes and uses the same line of “It’s a bug zapper. . .if somebody is bugging you, you zap ‘em.”

Honestly, we need MORE. We need Vince the ShamWOW guy and Billy Mayes there with his line of Oxy Clean products.

The firearms and ammunition are just getting in the way in my opinion!
+100 you nailed it ChinChin. My favorite is the little red Pomeranian that scampers around on the top of the tables at one of the booths. I didn't see any real deals on ammo either, nothing I couldn't get at Wal-Mart for the same price.

Riana

imported post

Thanks so much for all the reports, folks. Sounds like I definitely don't want to spend my Valentine's day fightin' with that mess.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

nova wrote:
Ed, I hope your father's choice works out for him well and I'm glad to be of assistance. :)
You were.. and the Sheriff from the city of Falls Church agreed with you. Dad will look at a Ruger 357 with a 4" barrel and Crimson Trace grips. He does not care if it is blue or SS.. I like the SS better. I like the S&W too but dont want to give an anti gun company my money.

hsmith

imported post

tag wrote:
kaiheitai17 wrote:
tag wrote:
That's the only reason I was going to go.. I'm beginning to think it might be a waste of time and money, since I definitely don't want to spend over $200 on a stripped lower.
tag, check out essentialarms.com I got three last week, $115 a piece + FFL fees

tag

imported post

hsmith wrote:
tag wrote:
kaiheitai17 wrote:
tag wrote:
tag, check out REDACTED I got three last week, $115 a piece + FFL fees
Sshhh, don't let anyone know :p. If I can't get one for a decent price at the gun show, I'll try to pick up one of those. My friend is desperate for 7.62x39 and he needs a ride, so that's pretty much the only reason I'm going (he also wants a Mosin Nagant, Glock 17 mags, and 7.62x54R). I think he's going to pay my entry fee

W.E.G.

imported post

$200 for an AR lower is RAPE in the first degree.

I was buying those things all day for $100 just six months ago.

STOP BUYING THEM!

The price will go down.
The price of materials is the same (probably less) now as it was a year ago.

Moreover, if some NEW assault weapons ban comes along, do you REALLY think they are going to forget to put in the part this time where you CAN'T TRANSFER any existing "assault weapon." You'll get a grace period to register what you've got, and they'll probably only let you register assembled weapons.

Of course, I'm just making all this crap up, and I don't REALLY think a "new" feder assault weapons ban is going to pass anytime soon anyway.

SO, STOP THE PANIC-BUYING!

Marco

imported post

Heading there tomorrow morning with another OC'er
I'm looking for a inexpensive lever action rifle.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Heading there tomorrow morning with another OC'er
I'm looking for a inexpensive lever action rifle.
Hey Agent. I bought a Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum about 6 years ago from Trader Jerry at a Dale City show. Paid $349 for it, new in the box. One of only three rifles I have ever bought that did not need to be sighted. Tight, very well made, and a great gun to have in your collection.

SouthernBoy

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
Ran into SouthernBoy while standing in line to get in to the show. We had a nice chat with an out of state couple. This was thier first gun show as I understood them.

Ran into him again as he was agonizing over the SD.

It was nice meeting you, hope to run into you again!
It was a Springfield Armory XD40 that was making me nuts at Dark Sun's table for $419.99. Still thinking about it.

Did you catch what the out of state guy was saying about the gun show and Obama?

Nice meeting you, too. All I wound up with was 400 rounds of 5.56 Federal Lake City mil spec (I think).

Like one of the posters said, it was primarily the ammo tables that were the main thrust of the show. Funny to see lines wrapping around the tables waiting to pay. Did you see how many people were at those tables with those likes collapsable dolly carts to carry out their purchases?