• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

dmatting

I OC on my motorcycle as well. The Serpa holds the pistol in quite nicely - I never give it a second thought.

I was in Lowes Home Improvement in Durham the other day. Usually I have no problems in there - especially with the employees. This time I was loading up some 2x4s onto a dolly and a guy wearing a grey Lowes vest (not the red kind - so I'm not sure what his job function was) walks up and asks if I needed any help. I already knew he wasn't interested in helping me, but I just said no thanks. So he hangs there for a second while I am going about my business and then he says that he noticed that I have a gun and am I cop or something? To which I reply no. Usually at this point I will start to talk to the person about open carry and hopefully get into a discussion with them but I just did not like the vibe he was putting off. Then he says in a smart tone 'so you just carry a gun around everywhere you go?' At that point I was done with getting my wood so i started pushing the dolly away and just said, 'yep, its perfectly legal in North Carolina to carry' and walked away from him. I'm not sure if I read the guy wrong but I just didn't like his attitude toward me.

The last few days we were down at Wrightsville Beach. I didn't carry as much as i normally do - what with going to the beach and the pool and restaurants that serve - but when i did carry, I didn't have any problems - that includes the Harris Teeter on Hwy74.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

PrestonW

A pretty uneventful day, went to the bank, inlaws, Golden Corral, and Walmart.

Mostly the typical non-responses from the general public, but it was nice to come across a fellow OCer when I took the family out to eat. I was over at the dessert section when I hear "I got mine on too." I look over.. then down, to see a little boy looking at me then turning his hips to show that he was carrying his choice of a revolver on each hip. I gave him a thumbs up and told him Good job and keep on carrying.

I was going to hand him a OCDO flyer, but I think that he has a grasp of his 2A rights for his age.

NC-Heel

Gray vest meant he was a vendor at the store stocking product or something. Your major vendors that pay Lowes (or any other store for that matter) for premium shelf space send their own employees in to make sure their product is presented correctly and make sure they are getting the frontage that they paid for.

62 Caddy

I've always had positive experiences at Lowe's in Cary and Durham. I am in the Lowe's in Cary almost every weekend and have had many conversations with employees about what they carry when not on the job, but no OC'ers yet unfortunately. I too have seen the vendors, usually in the garden section, with the grey vests on. I look forward to meeting a fellow OC'er on my weekend rounds in Cary.:D

Bearfoot

Had a great OC weekend. The girlfriend has started OC'ing with me now.:banana: She is feeling the eyes upon "her" now, just like most of us have seen and felt when we first started. Her confidence is building, slowly but surely, along with her comfort level. We rode the motorcycle to Cedar Island, and then over to the ferry, and back down to Havelock. Saw lots of Beaufort, Carteret, and Craven county and city LEOs. All went well.

PrestonW

Had a great OC weekend. The girlfriend has started OC'ing with me now.:banana: She is feeling the eyes upon "her" now, just like most of us have seen and felt when we first started. Her confidence is building, slowly but surely, along with her comfort level. We rode the motorcycle to Cedar Island, and then over to the ferry, and back down to Havelock. Saw lots of Beaufort, Carteret, and Craven county and city LEOs. All went well.

Great to hear, glad it went well. I convinced my wife to start carrying, found a good price for a Taurus 24/7 .40 that she likes and fits in her hand well.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Great to hear, glad it went well. I convinced my wife to start carrying, found a good price for a Taurus 24/7 .40 that she likes and fits in her hand well.

Better make sure the barrel is longer than the G27's 3.48", or ComradeV will be after you for having ill-equipped her. That extra half-inch of barrel could be the difference between life & death :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

PrestonW

Better make sure the barrel is longer than the G27's 3.48", or ComradeV will be after you for having ill-equipped her. That extra half-inch of barrel could be the difference between life & death :p

Caliber: .40
Grips: Checkered Polymer
UPC: 7-25327-60858-5

Capacity: 15 +1
Weight: 28 oz
Barrel Length: 4.20″

Frame: Large
Action: DA/SA
Length: 7.28″

I would say glock is over-rated, but I won't open that can of worms. :p

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Caliber: .40
Grips: Checkered Polymer
UPC: 7-25327-60858-5

Capacity: 15 +1
Weight: 28 oz
Barrel Length: 4.20″

Frame: Large
Action: DA/SA
Length: 7.28″

I would say glock is over-rated, but I won't open that can of worms. :p

TMI dude. My post was tongue in cheek. Several posts up it was ridiculously suggested that you cannot get adequate velocity on a .40 bullet exiting a 3.48" barrel. LOL.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
I'd be interested in seeing the data that backs that claim. I've seen ballistic tests of various .40 rounds fired from a G27 on youtube, and none of those have made me the least bit less confident carrying mine on a daily basis.

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot27_3.htm

This is not to say the Glock 27 will not perform well enough to incapacitate a target. What my position is, when the Glock 26 and 27 both cost the same, but 9mm gets better penetration at a lower ammo cost(more practice), one needs some other factor to determine a 27 is more suitable. If one owned a Glock 22 or 23 but not a 17 or 19 then the 27 makes more sense due to ammo compatibility. But, alone and side by side there doesn't seem to be a reason to favour the 27 over the 26.

Full disclosure: I do own the Glock 26; I don't own any weapons in .40.

PrestonW

TMI dude. My post was tongue in cheek. Several posts up it was ridiculously suggested that you cannot get adequate velocity on a .40 bullet exiting a 3.48" barrel. LOL.

Oh I know hehe, I was just using it for an opportunity for a passive-aggressive jab. It was that or making a remark about looking for a snubnose .22 revolver for my ex.

Either way, one more converted to OC.

Medic1210

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot27_3.htm

This is not to say the Glock 27 will not perform well enough to incapacitate a target. What my position is, when the Glock 26 and 27 both cost the same, but 9mm gets better penetration at a lower ammo cost(more practice), one needs some other factor to determine a 27 is more suitable. If one owned a Glock 22 or 23 but not a 17 or 19 then the 27 makes more sense due to ammo compatibility. But, alone and side by side there doesn't seem to be a reason to favour the 27 over the 26.

Full disclosure: I do own the Glock 26; I don't own any weapons in .40.

I checked that link and it just shows two gallon water jugs with an expanded round between. I don't know how to access the rest of the story. At any rate, I don't feel shooting water jugs is a good representation of real world capabilities. It's good if you want tosee how much a round can expand to, but other than that, I don't feel it is good at showing how a round will perform on a human. Even gelatin has its flaws, but I feel it is a more accurate medium to use when looking at ballistic performance. Just for a reference, I have some numbers I got today at the range. I took my chrono, because I was testing some new hand loads. I decided to shoot some of my Winchester Ranger-T 180gr, which is my preferred carry round in my G27, as a comparison to my loads, and also because I hadn't measured that round before. These just give you an idea of real world velocities of a quality defensive round out of a short barrel G27.

Temp 82F and overcast. Velocities in order as shot.

I didn't do any expansion tests, as I was simply testing my loads, and also giving my wife and me some trigger time with my brand new XDm .45 compact 3.8

Medic1210

Ok, I figured out how to read the whole article linked above. I am curious as to why they didn't follow up,the G27 shots with a longer barrel Glock to see if the poor performance was due to the barrel length, or due to poor cartridge design. I did notice they saw no change in penetration when comparing the G26 to the significantly longer G34, so it could be speculated that the barrel length wasn't the issue since it didn't change the 9mm performance. At any rate, I am confident enough with my G27 to trust my life on its performance... At least on the days I'm not carrying my new XDm .45 Compact I just purchased. The 27 has been my daily carry gun for a long time, but I think the new .45 will be replacing it, especially when OC. I have to wait on my new Crossbreed IWB holster to arrive before I can see how well it conceals.

papa bear

really had a lot of people notice and comment on my side arm this week

1 McDonalds in Mt. airy one customer said nice piece and also as i was standing at the counter waiting for a shake one of the employees said nice Ruger and that she was a Ruger fan. i asked her if she carried and she remarked that she didn't have CHP, but that her husband did. so i told her she didn't need a CHP to carry.

2 guy at walmart asked if it was a 45, i replied no it was set on stun 9mm. he said good to see you carry

3 McDonald in pilot mtn. guy stopped in the parking lot and commented on my GSL sticker and asked where he could get one. i gave him a GRNC folder and said he should look it up. that's when he noticed i was carrying and asked what it was.

had a few more but were so brief i don't remember them all

Last edited:

Bearfoot

Quick question.
Have any of you motorcycle riders out there OC'd while taking one of the boats on the state ferry system, and if so, what positive/negative encounters did you have?:)

chiefjason

Saw and older guy, retired cop by the looks of the flags, riding a blue Kawasaki touring bike on Hwy 74 in Monroe OC'ing today. Any of you? Between him being on a bike and me in a tractor trailer, saying something was out of the question. And he got away from me in traffic. He was straight up OC'ing though, shirt nicely tucked in. Looked like it might have been a Sig, but hard to tell. He passed me a couple times before I noticed it at a stop light. Nice to see.