• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

kcGlock19

I was buying ammo at walmart in greensboro yesterday. An officer and the store manager were right next to me looking at the airsoft guns that two kids stole. The officer looked at my gun and we just gave eachother the head nod and he walked passed me. First LEO encounter since the negative one I had at HT so it felt good that some LEOs know its ok to OC.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I was buying ammo at walmart in greensboro yesterday. An officer and the store manager were right next to me looking at the airsoft guns that two kids stole. The officer looked at my gun and we just gave eachother the head nod and he walked passed me. First LEO encounter since the negative one I had at HT so it felt good that some LEOs know its ok to OC.

So far for me Wallmart has had the nicest reactions from employees while OCing. They never fail to acknowledge me and never act as if I am some space alien. Most do not even seem to notice the firearm while still being available and courteous. Often the door greeters will wave, and say Hi to me just like everybody else that is not armed. And on a many occasions I will get the "nice gun dude" or the thumbs up. Now some of the customers do the staring thing, and I imagine I probably am featured on the people of walmart website, though I have never looked to see.

cabarrus

Unlike another recent thread about a bad LEO encounter at HT, I recently had a neutral to positive experience at HT. As others have noted, with the recent spate of robberies at HT, they often have a LEO present, at least in the evenings. My wife and I were returning a rented movie in the entrance to the HT on George Liles parkway (concord). I was a bit nervous, not having been up close and personal with a LEO while OC'ing. He was standing just inside the doors of the store, not at the customer service counter like some seem to do... So, I walk past him and I'm standing 40-some feet away from him with my gun in plain view of him while I return the movie into the box. We had no other business to attend to there, and so immediately walked out the store directly in front of him. We looked directly at each other as I walked past him, so I'm pretty sure he was completely aware I was OC'ing.

cabarrus

I also had a positive experience at Lowes Home Improvement recently. My wife and I were in the Lowes on Dale Earnhardt (Kannapolis) looking for some wood to support the cucumber vines. I'd told the guy helping us I was looking for some 1x2s... we're following him back when he says "38?", in a questioning tone... it takes me a few seconds to register that he's no longer talking about the quantities or dimensions of wood products and I respond that it's a 357 magnum, not a 38.

Medic1210

I took my family to Jim's Gun and Pawn gun range in Fayetteville last Wed to teach my parents how to shoot their new pistols and also let my wife practice with my G27 and XDm .45 Compact. Anyway, after we were finished, I reloaded my XDm with my carry rounds, and placed it strong side, in the paddle holster that came with it. I would prefer to have a properly fitting SERPA, but apparently they don't make one specific to my weapon. I have one for an XD .45 mounted in my car, but it's loose, so I just carry in the holster that came with the gun. Anyway, sorry for the ADD tangent.

Well, on the way home, we stopped at a gas station on 401 just past the Walmart near Cliffdale I believe. My wife needed to use the restroom and I needed to get some waters because we were all parched after shooting for an hour and a half in the stuffy indoor range on a hot day. Walked in, and went to the water cooler, and noticed a Fayetteville Police officer standing at the counter chatting with the cashier. My wife had just walked right past him to get to the restroom. I looked at him, smiled and said, "Hey, how's it going? Been busy?" You know, cordial greeting, small chit chat. I made sure my strong side was toward him so it was clear I wasn't trying to be sneaky or hide it. He responded in kind, and I saw him glance down at my hip, noticing my sidearm. While it appeared he didn't much care for it with the short, almost brushoff response I got in return, I have to give props to him for not overstepping his role and questioning me about why I was carrying. A good thing too, since I wasn't wearing my digital recorder.:) I was wearing a pair of camo cargo shorts and a t-shirt, and probably didn't look too clean after almost two hours of sweatting in the range. Arms had unburnt powder flakes, and the right side of my neck had a popped burn blister where an ejected .45 case kissed it after bouncing off the lane divider. Man those things get hot!

Anyway, overall positive encounter, even if the officer wasn't the most friendly. At least he was professional, and didn't make an issue of me carrying.

SevenSlugs

Gang approach hindered with oc

So.....tonight I was driving back home at around 12:45 AM. As I was driving up my street (which is in a pretty rugged area of Durham), I noticed 5 young men banded together about half a block from my home. Two of them were on bikes and 3 on foot. Normally I wouldn't care about people walking on the side of the street but this group had obvious signes they were up to no good. I spotted matching blue gang clothing instantly. As I was driving slowly towards my driveway and passed them, I noticed three of them had clothing apparel around their neck that could be quickly lifted to cover the face (some kind of doorag/stocking cap). I realized (knowing the area I live in) that they were probably looking for someone to rob. As I pulled into my driveway, in the rearview mirror I saw all of them staring at my car and talking to eachother as well as pointing in the direction of my vehicle. I was OCing my Glock of course and was prepared to use it. Because it was so early in the morning the shadows most likely concealed my Glock even though I was OCing. As I walked up my driveway to get to the entrance of my house (front door) the gang affiliates were yelling out "CRIP THIS, CRIP THAT, WORD ON CRIP etc. etc." as they crossed the street towards me. All of a sudden as they were about 15 yards away from me they could see I was OCing. I didn't think this would have much effect on 5 gang members (I assumed one and/or all of them could be potentially armed) but boy was I wrong. Two of them pointed in my direction and said something about a gun and all of a sudden all five of them ran/cycled away. The whole time I had never stopped walking towards my front door or hesitated as I saw them. Just another reason I'm glad that I OC and not CC.

s&w_M&P_owner

I don't know if I posted this here or not. If I did, please forgive me.

I carried in the local Radioshack a while back, while going into pick up an adapter for my headphones. I fully expected an issue from them because I had read in multiple places that RS is notoriously anti-gun. Well, I walked in, and the store manager asked me if I needed any help, and I knew she had probably seen my M&P in it's holster (it's pretty hard to miss :p). Well then as I'm looking at something else after I found my headphone adapter, I hear the sales associate say something, and I'm like "Oh crap. Here it comes. They're going to ask me to leave." Boy, was I wrong. He asked me what kind of gun I had, and I told him it was the M&P 9 with the 17+1 capacity. It turns he's a gun owner as well, and he's got a .40 S&W Sigma that he wants to carry. So all in all, it was a good experience. I didn't get thrown out of RadioShack for carrying a gun, I got to enlighten someone on open carry, and got my headphone adapter :D. Of course, our RadioShack is a franchise store, and not corporate-owned, so that may have had something to do with why I had a good experience.

papa bear

went to NCSECU Friday in Elkin NC waited in line forgot my card so i had to go get it. as i was out two police cars came in with 5 officers in them.My first thought was here we go. but there was nothing said to me about my OC. friendly exchange with the teller and out i went.

was going to the park today (having to conceal while there is a pain), with my grandchildren. pulled up to the intersection that goes into the park, and a lady in a SUV pulled up beside me in the turning lane and hollered over " i really like your bumper stickers", i hollered thanks and asked her if she would like some.i just had put some in my truck. she asked where i got them and i said GRNC and the NRA and i also gave her a GRNC tri fold. this was while trafic was backing up behind us , but this is Mayberry nobody got excited.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
C̶a̶r̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶B̶B̶&̶T̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶G̶.̶W̶.̶ ̶L̶y̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶P̶k̶w̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶P̶o̶p̶l̶a̶r̶ ̶T̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶R̶o̶a̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶C̶o̶n̶c̶o̶r̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶F̶r̶i̶d̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶e̶p̶o̶s̶i̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶N̶o̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶u̶s̶y̶ ̶F̶r̶i̶d̶a̶y̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶n̶o̶o̶n̶.̶

Oh, I spoke to soon. A bank manager called me to tell me there had been a complaint and that he was letting me know they don't allow firearms. I guess it's time to shop for a new financial institution.

Last edited:

Dreamer

C̶a̶r̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶B̶B̶&̶T̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶G̶.̶W̶.̶ ̶L̶y̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶P̶k̶w̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶P̶o̶p̶l̶a̶r̶ ̶T̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶R̶o̶a̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶C̶o̶n̶c̶o̶r̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶F̶r̶i̶d̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶e̶p̶o̶s̶i̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶N̶o̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶u̶s̶y̶ ̶F̶r̶i̶d̶a̶y̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶n̶o̶o̶n̶.̶

Oh, I spoke to soon. A bank manager called me to tell me there had been a complaint and that he was letting me know they don't allow firearms. I guess it's time to shop for a new financial institution.

You are lucky you're not getting charges with "Tresspassing". BB&Ts are ALL very clearly posted, and are well-known as being strongly anti-2A, nationwide.

Look at a credit union. If you can get in, NC State Employees Credit Union (SECU) is a GREAT institution with friendly, professional staff, and VERY carry friendly.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
OC'd today all over the Tanger Outlet mall in Blowing Rock, at the Tomato Shack in Boone, at Loew's and at Clemmons Produce in Banner Elk. Also stopped at a roadside stand to pick up some honey; got into a great discussion with the proprietor who complimented the sidearm (and me for carrying it).

Had a few :eek: at the outlet mall, but no bad experiences.

Medic1210

is it posted concealed or open carry?

Honestly don't remember right off hand, but I consider any posting at all to be not carry-friendly. I would assume if it doesn't say no weapons period, then it probably states no concealed. I think it's the former though.

.40CLTlocal

Added a couple more OC's under my belt. Went to the super Wal-mart off of Sardis Rd. Shockingly this my first time in a wal-mart. No reactions at all. Very long grocery shopping trip too. Also went into Carolina Sporting Arms for some ammo and to check out the new crop of AR-15's. Very friendly there. Some of the old guys will haggle if you are alredy dropping some coin. All good stuff so far. Knock on wood.

WalkingWolf

Honestly don't remember right off hand, but I consider any posting at all to be not carry-friendly. I would assume if it doesn't say no weapons period, then it probably states no concealed. I think it's the former though.

Well considering that concealing in a bank already is covered in statute I would think they are aiming it at open carry. But almost every gun buster sign I have seen says "no weapons", or "no firearms".