• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need some help: wife opposes me carrying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty Young Man

The (in-)conveniences of auto-correct.:lol:

Sometimes the only way to undo all that statist programming (being blasted from news media, schools, antis, etc.) is just to carry yourself.
We're in the business of desensitizing people to armed Law Abiding Citizens and inanimate objects which have proven themselves able to equalize the smallest-framed little old granny with the largest 350 lb berserker.

If nothing else, we "pro-gunners" are: pro-Liberty, pro-Rights, pro-gender equality, pro-race equality, etc.:D

Glad to hear progress is being made DaveT319.

stealthyeliminator

Not real advise but, maybe with some tweaking would be relatively similar to what I'd do...

Step one: Ask her for any reasonable objections she has to you carrying. (There will probably be none. Subsequent steps assume no reasonable objections)

Step two: Be adamant that carrying is important to you, for your family's benefit, that it is your responsibility to protect your family, that as the responsibility ultimately falls to you it is also your decision on how security is to be accomplished and you will do it. Obviously this isn't to say that a wife in general has no say in how family security is accomplished - however, I do believe that if a matter is serious enough and a decision must be made which cannot be agreed upon it would be the man who is the ultimate decider. You may have a different view of how a family should be structured, but, alas, that is my opinion without thinking it through too heavily.

Step three: Carry everywhere, all the time. You must explain that, unfortunately, or not unfortunately, the rules restricting loaded/unloaded time no longer work with the family's security plan and so those rules have been redacted. Reasoning for this is two-fold. First of all, you will be more secure when you carry more often. Secondly, the same methods which are used by open carry advocates to advocate for open carry to the public will likely work just as well to advocate for open (or any) carry in the home. The prime method of advocating for open carry is openly carrying.

Like I said, this is basically (basically basically) what I did. The objections to me carrying are much fewer and far between. Actually, they've pretty much ceased. In fact, my wife is now interested in 1. shooting 2. owning her own firearm and 3. eventually carrying on a regular basis

since9

Campaign Veteran
Guys, and I do mean the males who've responded, you're way over-thinking the issue. That won't work, here.

Try asking your female friends or significant others what they recommend. :)

SFCRetired

Guys, and I do mean the males who've responded, you're way over-thinking the issue. That won't work, here.

Try asking your female friends or significant others what they recommend. :)

Exactly!! That is why I told OP that I wished we lived closer so that our wives could talk. I suspect that if his wife heard my wife's story, she might be a tad more flexible about the subject. And it does need to be a woman-to-woman talk.

Maverick9

1. So you're telling me you've never left a firearm locked in the trunk or in a lockable glove compartment? Do you really think I'd just leave it sitting on the passenger seat?!
2. Yes, I WOULD come to the aid of someone else. That's the kind of person I am. Hell, I have even come to the aid of cops to help them make an arrest when the suspect was resisting. So if I were someplace where a random mass-shooting happened, I would very likely try to help save innocent lives. I guess you're the kind of person who would just pull out your phone and record it for YouTube...

I have NEVER left a gun in the car. Do you realize it takes even a casual thief about 20-30 seconds to get into your car. Ask yourself, how would you acquire a firearm if your were barred from possessing it. You could simply go to places that are 'gun free' and take a few minutes to watch for people disarming before going into the store or business.

So here we have a person who is a complete newbie with firearms talking out his hat about going to the aid of strangers and 'helping' LE. To me that's a fantasy-prone personality and close to vigilantism wanting to own a firearm. So YES if I was this person's spouse, knowing that as a newbie he was already fantasizing about inserting himself foolishly into dangerous situations you can BELIEVE I would fight to keep him from having a firearm.

As an observer, I wouldn't be happy with this kind of person carrying, but I answered the question as in the position of his spouse. These kind of ideas (storing the firearm in the car and going to the 'aid' of strangers) are the height of folly. DON'T DO IT. You'll end up in far more trouble than if you just decided to be on the whole more cautious and observant and perhaps gone out and taken some courses from people with a lot more experience and wisdom than the OP is showing here.

WalkingWolf

I have NEVER left a gun in the car. Do you realize it takes even a casual thief about 20-30 seconds to get into your car. Ask yourself, how would you acquire a firearm if your were barred from possessing it. You could simply go to places that are 'gun free' and take a few minutes to watch for people disarming before going into the store or business.

So here we have a person who is a complete newbie with firearms talking out his hat about going to the aid of strangers and 'helping' LE. To me that's a fantasy-prone personality and close to vigilantism wanting to own a firearm. So YES if I was this person's spouse, knowing that as a newbie he was already fantasizing about inserting himself foolishly into dangerous situations you can BELIEVE I would fight to keep him from having a firearm.

As an observer, I wouldn't be happy with this kind of person carrying, but I answered the question as in the position of his spouse. These kind of ideas (storing the firearm in the car and going to the 'aid' of strangers) are the height of folly. DON'T DO IT. You'll end up in far more trouble than if you just decided to be on the whole more cautious and observant and perhaps gone out and taken some courses from people with a lot more experience and wisdom than the OP is showing here.

Watching him overreact here I came to the conclusion that maybe his wife is not a anti, but that she does not trust him with a gun. Between fantasies and going over the deep end so easily I would be apprehensive around such a person.

If that is the case no matter how much indoctrination anyone attempts is not going to change her trust level. We had a girl friend originally from LI a few years back that was very liberal and anti. Yet she never once complained about me being armed, she accepted me and my manners, and commented I made her feel safe. The only time she got upset was not about the gun, but her cousin and I discussing politics.

Mature people do not attempt to control other mature people.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Going back to read all replies I see I missed quite a bit and that my post was a little late. I do not see any post in which the op 'over reacted' though. Imo the op is pretty straight forward and any criticism toward his marriage is off topic and intrusive.

Maverick9

Watching him overreact here I came to the conclusion that maybe his wife is not a anti, but that she does not trust him with a gun. Between fantasies and going over the deep end so easily I would be apprehensive around such a person.

It's not so much an overreaction on the OP's part, it's the 'Oh that's just the way I am' - IOW, inured to any behavior changes when carrying a firearm. It is very understandable that the spouse would be fearful NOT of the weapon but of the OP's injudicious behavior when armed.

Good comment.

solus

Going back to read all replies I see I missed quite a bit and that my post was a little late. I do not see any post in which the op 'over reacted' though. Imo the op is pretty straight forward and any criticism toward his marriage is off topic and intrusive.

Oh thank heavens and praise the saints you are not a moderator out here cuz your panties would be in a snit all the time ruling items off topic and intrusive...

ipse

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Very simply your wife has as much right to tell you when and when not to carry as you do to what clothes she wears.

Above is the post that sent OP over the deep edge to put me on ignore. If anybody finds the above insulting in the least fashion they seriously have the problem, not I.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Above is the post that sent OP over the deep edge to put me on ignore. If anybody finds the above insulting in the least fashion they seriously have the problem, not I.
Only from my personal perspective -
If you love me, really love me you won't tell me not to carry......as I carry because I really love you.

Played to the tune as orginally sung by Kay Starr:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbmHBjr7xLw

solus

grape, you truly didn't go there did you...

sigh...as i hum along...yes you did...:eek:

ipse

davidmcbeth

Banned
Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Oh thank heavens and praise the saints you are not a moderator out here cuz your panties would be in a snit all the time ruling items off topic and intrusive...

ipse

Doubt it... I never said it should be moderated. Just called it what I think it is

Status
Not open for further replies.