• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need to kick room mates out ASAP! Question! (Washington State)

nonameisgood

Congratulations.
And I'd suggest you let sleeping dogs lie. If the clause (or the exercise thereof) comes up again, and it causes trouble, pursue some legal recourse. In the mean time, just don't give him cause to enter the property.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

I do, however, have one concern. My landlord randomly came over for an "inspection" without any notice. He claimed it was in my lease, which is was.

Then later, I did some research, and noticed that there is an illegal clause in my lease that states "Landlord has permission to enter the premises for inspection at anytime during reasonable hours, with or without consent. Landlord will knock, but if tenant does not respond, landlord has every right to gain entrance to the premises. Landlord is not obligated to give any notice."

Washington State Law says that a landlord MUST give written consent 48 hours before entering for any reason, except for an emergency. Hmm....

As suggested, it may not be prudent to pursue this at this moment. However, if such a situation arises again, your options seem to be to go to court to have state law enforced by correcting the lease, sue the landlord for damages (if any), or using that as an excuse to terminate the lease early without paying any penalty (probably have to go to court preemptively for an order allowing you to do so as opposed to fighting the landlord when he tries to get his "penalty" money. Realize that any choice may not only cause the landlord to not offer you another lease, but that his doing so could hurt your chances of being approved by some other landlord. You can easily overcome the mark against you but you need to be aware that it might be there in your credit record or as part of the referral the landlord makes (Would you rent to this tenant again? No. - no explanation of why not is needed and most landlords will avoid stating any reason to avoid being sued for libel/defamation.)

All in all - congratulations on both solving your short-term crisis and learning a valuable life lesson without too much actual trauma. (Sure you can crash at my plasce tonight - just sign this agreement.)

stay safe.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Drug use is illegal.

Generally, drug possession is illegal. But Marijuana possession isn't illegal in Washington state.

You most likely are, at least in the definitional sense, accessories in the second or third degree to illegal drug use, as well as possibly possession of illegal drugs.

Citation? I'm having difficulty finding Federal or Washington state law which mentions a penalty for being "accessory to drug use".

Unless that's a new take on one possible definition of "paraphernalia".

Last edited: