• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Negative LEO/IKEA Encounter

dukenukum

imported post

Looks like I have a new campaign this one is the Imagine an ikea free household campaign. Look they don't like my Lawfully carried pistol I will shop elsewhere and they can go broke.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

yeah they'll stick longer now... Wikipedia does not have a legit reason to cancel the edits now, but IKEAs lackeys will still do it from time to time.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

*shrug*
Is that not what its there for by definition?

Anyway... it was more for entertainment value than anything else... more just to see if they really had hired someone to 'police' their wikipedia page. It was an enriching social experiment, and an insight into just how extensive a corporation's HR department will go to control what is said about them. In addition, I am a computer geek, for a living and as a hobby, and I enjoy personally trying to find ways to 'beat the system', as it were, as a means to stay sharp in the IT world, and test my own resourcefulness.

I find these aims to be valid, so please do not make assumptions as to my age.

manicdevery

imported post

Since i am new to OC i had a few questions.

In this IKEA story, Which i loved, would it have been bad to have gavena name or even ID? I have nothing bad on my record but would not want tosay anythingfor them to findme guilty of a crime. i know they willlook for something and likely find something i am doing wrong, but at the samei also want to comply with LEO's request if a peaceful situation is within the realm of possibilty

Ihave a few cop friends whom i repect, and find even the ones that i don't know, seem to be resonable if you are straight forward. have printed off the MOC brochure that i carry with me but i want to know the best way to handle LEO's

Thanks much

mikestilly

imported post

manicdevery wrote:
Since i am new to OC i had a few questions.

In this IKEA story, Which i loved, would it have been bad to have gaven a name or even ID? I have nothing bad on my record but would not want to say anything for them to find me guilty of a crime. i know they will look for something and likely find something i am doing wrong, but at the same i also want to comply with LEO's request if a peaceful situation is within the realm of possibilty

I have a few cop friends whom i repect, and find even the ones that i don't know, seem to be resonable if you are straight forward. have printed off the MOC brochure that i carry with me but i want to know the best way to handle LEO's

Thanks much

manicdevery, welcome to the forum. It all depends on the situation. If you are driving you must produce your drivers license, vehicle registration, and insurance. All are chargeable offences if you don't produce them. If you're concealing a pistol then you must produce your CPL and disclose where the pistol is.

If you're shopping and open carrying you are not required to produce anything. The cops in the Ikea where based on their comments were doing everything they could to come up with charges against him. The fact that he did not give them his ID means the only way they can get it is to illegally search him. This has a purpose because without an ID/name they cannot make up charges just because they feel like it. And yes police do this. Listen to T Vance's Target encounter at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ozfXUa9wWY Try to know everything front and back as it will help you in the event that you have an encounter. But whatever you do make sure you're following the law. Ignorance to the laws is not an excuse that will work for getting out of charges arising from mistakes.

Mike

G

imported post

The out come would not have been any different.

The police were called to do what the Ikea employee/mqanager lacked the balls to do himself.

T Vance wrote:
Me - Nobody has asked me to leave. If you or somebody that works for this store is asking me to leave I will. (at this moment I tried walking between the 2 officers and LEO 1 closed the gap between him and LEO 2 so I could not pass).

(At this moment I noticed the [nut-less] man that was still standing [hiding] behind the officer's in plain clothes say "I don't want him in our store").

Me - Well I'll leave then.

LEO 1 - Wait, just stay here for a minute

LEO 1 - If you come back to IKEA I will cite you for trespassing.

Me - (I turn around, walking backwards so they can hear me) So I am not allowed back in the store if I don't bring a firearm with me (because we had already spent like 6 hours on this entertainment center)?

[Nut-less] IKEA Employee - I don't want you back here ever!

Me - Alright

Fiance - Do you realize that we were just about to spend $1600 in your store?

[Nut-less] IKEA Employee - I don't care.

Fiance - Can I come back?

[Nut-less]
IKEA Employee - No. I don't want either of you to come back here.

mikestilly

imported post

If you don't have a CPL then the pistol must be unloaded and be in your trunk separated from the pistol if you are entering a vehicle. If you are pulled over if the cop asks about anything in your car I would say I'd rather not talk about what's in my car. Repeat if cop repeats. Never consent to any LEO to search your car or your person. If you've done nothing wrong many times they will search you for their safety anyways. You do not need to disclose that your pistol is in your trunk and doing so for no reason might not be a positive response from the LEO (even though it's legal).

I do suggest to read wash, rinse, and repeat until you have it down 100%. I also disagree with CV67PAT. You have no idea what the result would have been that's why when you're the one under suspicion for something you stop talking wash, rinse, repeat. The more you talk the more that can be used against you if they try to charge you for something.

Mike

mikestilly

imported post

Read wash, rinse, and repeat. Print it out, with the laws with or without a CPL and memorize them the best you can. Carry them with you if you feel uncomfortable. When I first started OC'ing I printed out a tiny card with everything I needed in case I needed to check. I was so paranoid when first started OC'ing I even sent myself emails so I had them to pull up (in my phone) in case I didnt have the papers with me. You can't be over prepared :D

manicdevery

imported post

Thanks very much guys. I already love how informative everybody here is.

i watched that youtube. i love the cops saying, "Are his tags expired?" and "did you ask where he as going?" etc... i love how they were trying to find anything he did wrong, not even anything to do with reason for the call. thanks for the link.

i have read wash rinse repeat plus carry the michigan open carry pamphlet.

on a different note i am trying to get the saturday of the chili cook off of work so i can attend.

thanks again for everyone's help

Devery

Bronson

imported post

manicdevery wrote:
I have nothing bad on my record but would not want tosay anythingfor them to findme guilty of a crime. i know they willlook for something and likely find something i am doing wrong...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc&feature=related

Here's a 48 minute video that explains why you should NEVER talk to the police.

It is well worth the time.

Bronson

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

What you say can and will be used against you... by offering your name etc. it just gives the impression that you will answer more questions... sort of the "getting to yes" model of communication that salespeople use. If you don't acquiesce and answer, it gives the impression that the police are going to have a difficult time in trying to find something for which to cite you.

manicdevery

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
What you say can and will be used against you... by offering your name etc.
if you were to carry in apublic place, let's say WALMART,and not give your name to a LEO if they stop you,couldn't they pull you over after you leave when you are then forced to show your lic. &reg. to find your name and from there forth try to find something to cite you?

Pardon if i seem naive but any and all information from you guys i find very useful. I'm not sure if i am thinking to far into this i am just thekind of guy that wants to be armed withsomething other than my gun. . . my brain. . .