• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No charges against Moorhead man who shot teenaged intruder

SlackwareRobert

imported post

If I have to shoot an intruder and he behaves and is a model corpse,
I see no reason to dig him up and shoot him again.
Strike 1 - You broke in.
Strike 2 - You didn't leave when confronted by gun.
Strike 3 - Darwin dictates your genes don't work.

Even liberal kommifornia agrees... 3 strikes and you are out.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

REX681959 wrote:
Again This is MYhome.. That means either

A. Behave yourself & act like a civilized human being.

B. Stay away from me & my home

C. Suffer the consequences.

What are the "consequences," Rex?

If the interloper is unarmed, what do you do?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

HankT wrote:
REX681959 wrote:

Nay, nay.

What would you do Hank? :quirky

Yata hey

jgregel

imported post

HankT wrote:
REX681959 wrote:

Every situation is different. This last summer I had a gang punk come after me in my front yard with a chunk of concrete telling me he was going to bust my head. Fortunately after showing him I was armed he backed off to a distance that made him no longer a threat to me. He still continued to yell at me but kept his distance. I made up my mind that if he advanced again with the rock I would shoot him. He had the intent, ability and opportunity to really hurt me. That's how it works outside in the daytime.

Inside my house is a different story. The BG would have one opportunity to lay on the floor with their arms out to the side. One wrong move from them, with or without a weapon (would not know if he had a concealed weapon so assume he is armed), he would have more holes than he could stick his fingers in. Door locks just keep good people honest. If a BG wants in he will get in.

In all my days as a stupid kid I never entered the wrong home. And If I did and found an angry owner I would profusely apologize and exit as rapidly as I could. I surly would not go after the owner. This kid was a punk and got himself killed. Its a shame that it took 6 months to clear the home owner of a crime.

John

anmut

imported post

Wow, the BS in that story about the "poor intruder that attacked someone in their own house and got killed."

That makes me sick.

protector84

imported post

If some "gang punk" comes at me with a piece of concrete he may or may not get a warning. If he is 50 feet away, he gets a warning which is a gun drawn in his direction. If he is within about 30 feet, no warning. It is a proximityissue with me. The closer they are to me the less time I have to safely deal with them. The more you argue, the closer they get. So if some punk flashes a knife and demands cash when he is a mere six feet way, he is simply getting shot and probably in the head. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

REX681959

imported post

It all comes down to common sense which is getting to be VERY uncommon. If you put your hand in fire you will get burned. If you chase a mild mannered dog all the way back to his dog house & stick your hand in after him you are going to get bitten. 50 years ago we slept peacefully with the windows open & the doors unlocked WHY????. Because if you came in uninvited you met up with the business end of a shotgun. Heck back then if you were out in someones yard after dark prowling around you might get some bird shot in the rear. So YES Hank I consider my home my sanctuary & AGAIN if you can not figure out my intentions then come on over after midnight one night, break in & sit down to make yourself right at home. We'll have a nice little chat.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

USNA69

imported post

HankT wrote:
True.

But that's why HankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense[suP]©[/suP] :

It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person.

is so clearly a powerful concept.

I wish everyone would read and understand HPCSD[suP]©[/suP] before they do something like Vernon Allen did....
But ... the youngintruder WAS armed ... armed with a BAC through the roof and two fists with which he had already inflicteddamage on Mr. Allen. Just how many punches should he have endured before defending himself? At what point would the BG have picked up a lamp or other "weapon" and administered the coup de grace? Just how near death must one be, before one is justifiedin takingsteps to prevent that death?

protector84

imported post

If someone forces their way into my house they are automatically armed. Even if they don't have weapons on them, there are weapons or potential weapons all around the house. The first thing they will come across once they enter is a dining room chair they could throw at me. Next is the kitchen containing a set of sharp knives which they could grab and come at me with. Why should I even letit get that far? As far as I'm concerned, it is this simple:

1. Dial 911 and report someone is breaking in and "I'm really scared."

2. The dispatcher will then respond that officers are on the way and to remain calm.

3. Once the intruder has a body part be it a foot, arm, leg, etc. inside my house meaning the window or door has already been broken, the response can be summed up as follows: BANG.

4. "He just broke in and I just shot him."

5. "Will he be needing an ambulance?"

6. BANG. "Not anymore."

7. Ask arriving officers for the appropriate IRS form so I can deduct carpet cleaning and/or replacement, ammo replacement, and other costs from my next year's taxes due to saving the taxpayers money.

Anyone breaking into my house won't be needing a doctor. Enough said.

Carnivore

imported post

HankT wrote:
REX681959 wrote:

YOU SHOOT OFF HIS OTHER ARM.. Oh you meant not weilding a weapon don't you.. Well after the first swing he was determined armed.. and after grabbing the barrel of the homeowners shotty, he was determined to get him self armed.. Don't mince scenarios Hank, anyone unlawfully entering a place of residence of another homeowner isn't there to sell Avon got it!!

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well if in Mass. at least the first 3 shots are considered accidental with shotguns,
will need a test case to see if the forth is also an accident.
Can't wait to see if she uses the same defense in the UAH shootings. :cuss:

KansasKraut

imported post

I don't understand people who are against The Castle Doctrine. You know, where if some numbnuts breaks into your house you can legally kill them. If you don't break into others' houses, you won't get shot! Hell, the State should pay homeowners who kill intruders a bounty, considering how much money they've saved their fellow taxpayers. Better to kill an intruder than pay to incarcerate aforementioned dumbass for X-number of years...only to have him get out and recycle back into the system within 6 months.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

KansasKraut wrote:
I don't understand people who are against The Castle Doctrine. You know, where if some numbnuts breaks into your house you can legally kill them. If you don't break into others' houses, you won't get shot! Hell, the State should pay homeowners who kill intruders a bounty, considering how much money they've saved their fellow taxpayers. Better to kill an intruder than pay to incarcerate aforementioned dumbass for X-number of years...only to have him get out and recycle back into the system within 6 months.
NOT ! We are neither judges nor jurors and definitely not executioners.

I sincerely pray that I shall never have to use deadly force against another - I train to avoid that as hard as I do in the more traditional areas.

I truly abhor any other mindset.

Yata hey

compmanio365

imported post

I pray every day that I do not have to use the gun I carry, that someone does not put me into that situation. However, someone breaking into my home PUTS me in that situation.....there are two choices for that person.....leave on your own, or be carried out. Their choice.

zack991

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
The father of the deceased teen gives a typical response of those that refuse to accept any responsibilty for their own failures.

Had Ralph been a more responsible parent, maybe his son would still be alive today. Where was Ralph when his son was out drinking (at 17) and breaking into other peoples homes?

Sorry, I have NO sympathy for this family's loss.

spelling
This with a little change, as soon as the family refused to acknowledge that what got their son killed was his OWN stupidity and they want to blame the gun owner. They lost all sympathy from me and If their family suffers more pain I hope they wake up to reality they will see no tear from me. F&^& THEM and their son. The best thing their son has ever contributed to his community is him being worm food. Hope the kid rots in hell. If this upset some soft skin members here then too bad. I do not hold any person who robs, rapes, murders ect with any respect and will continue to do so. Same goes with the family when they blame the gun owner for protecting him/herself.

I am sorry for the gun owner who now may never be the same over having to take another life even it was justifiable.