• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No charges against Moorhead man who shot teenaged intruder

dukenukum

imported post

I am my mothers care giver she is confined to a wheel chair unable to run, listening to some people I should abandon her and flee like a coward this will not happen.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

dukenukum wrote:
I am my mothers care giver she is confined to a wheel chair unable to run, listening to some people I should abandon her and flee like a coward this will not happen.
:shock: maybe we have been reading a different thread - don't see that even suggested here.

Individual circumstance will alter one's reactions and while avoiding or leaving a confrontation can be desirable, such is not always possible. Sometimes we have to stand our ground and depend on our training + some good luck. That is why more and more states are passing castle doctrine, stand your ground and giving protection against civil suits.

You are to be commended for giving assistance to your mother.

Yata hey

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

USNA69 wrote:
HankT wrote:
True.

But that's why HankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense[suP]©[/suP] :

It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person.

is so clearly a powerful concept.

I wish everyone would read and understand HPCSD[suP]©[/suP] before they do something like Vernon Allen did....
But ... the youngintruder WAS armed ... armed with a BAC through the roof and two fists with which he had already inflicteddamage on Mr. Allen. Just how many punches should he have endured before defending himself? At what point would the BG have picked up a lamp or other "weapon" and administered the coup de grace? Just how near death must one be, before one is justifiedin takingsteps to prevent that death?

Oh, please. We're talking "armed" in the conventional sense: with a deadly weapon.

The drunk was not armed.

And there is evidence that the drunk was sooooo drunk that he wasn't much of a danger.

"....[drunk]went into other people's apartments that night, one of which was a woman's, and they were able to make him leave without hurting him."

lil_freak_66

imported post

HankT wrote:
And there is evidence that the drunk was sooooo drunk that he wasn't much of a danger.

in my experience,drunks are often very emotional,easily angered and quick to throw punches.

imo,if they are drunk enough to walk into places like that,they are likely to be in the above mentioned mental state,and are always a potential threat until they pass out and/or sober up.