• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Noobie Thread - Suggestions from those who have been there.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

camsoup wrote:
nukechaser wrote:
I believe the salient point is that there isn't ammo "placed into a position from which it can be fired" if you have an empty magazine inserted into the magazine well.

However, make sure your full magazine is plainly visible. This is accomplished usually in a magazine carrier/pouch on your belt, just like your pistol. THIS IS IMPORTANT! A magazine is an integral part of a pistol. Carrying it with ammo in it in your pocket could potentially bring a concealed weapons violation (p.c. 12025).

If you are carrying a revolver you may carry speed loaders, bullets, etc. in your pocket without concern, 'cuz a speed loaded or moon clips are not an integral part of a revolver.
I wonder if some DA's in this state would try to argue that a cartridge is an integral part of a firearm, therefore making it illegal to even conceal moonclips, speedloaders, or loose cartridges....really without a cartridge you don't by definition have a fire arm??? :uhoh: its hard to make it go bang without a round of ammunition.

See- this is what I have been cogitating on. If the magazine is an integral part of a firearm and can be considered to be a 12025 "concealed weapon"- the same could be said of ammunition as the cartridges have as much to do with the firearm being a weapon as the magazine does. However, if it is not fully assembled and ready to fire, they can only be parts of a weapon... not a complete weapon outside being a makeshift bludgeon. So how then does the 2nd amendment apply to parts that are not assembled as an 'arm'? And if we are not allowed a fully assembled 'arm' what part of keep and bear are we able to practice?

I suspect at some time in the future that requirements to maintain an incomplete weapon (ie: unloaded, disassembled, or absent from ammunition.) will be ruled unConstitutional with the arguement that withsome or all ofthe integral machinery/parts removed, it eliminates the ability to use arms as they were intended since they cease to be mechanically effective.

camsoup

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
camsoup wrote:
nukechaser wrote:
I believe the salient point is that there isn't ammo "placed into a position from which it can be fired" if you have an empty magazine inserted into the magazine well.

However, make sure your full magazine is plainly visible. This is accomplished usually in a magazine carrier/pouch on your belt, just like your pistol. THIS IS IMPORTANT! A magazine is an integral part of a pistol. Carrying it with ammo in it in your pocket could potentially bring a concealed weapons violation (p.c. 12025).

If you are carrying a revolver you may carry speed loaders, bullets, etc. in your pocket without concern, 'cuz a speed loaded or moon clips are not an integral part of a revolver.
I wonder if some DA's in this state would try to argue that a cartridge is an integral part of a firearm, therefore making it illegal to even conceal moonclips, speedloaders, or loose cartridges....really without a cartridge you don't by definition have a fire arm??? :uhoh: its hard to make it go bang without a round of ammunition.

See- this is what I have been cogitating on. If the magazine is an integral part of a firearm and can be considered to be a 12025 "concealed weapon"- the same could be said of ammunition as the cartridges have as much to do with the firearm being a weapon as the magazine does. However, if it is not fully assembled and ready to fire, they can only be parts of a weapon... not a complete weapon outside being a makeshift bludgeon. So how then does the 2nd amendment apply to parts that are not assembled as an 'arm'? And if we are not allowed a fully assembled 'arm' what part of keep and bear are we able to practice?

I suspect at some time in the future that requirements to maintain an incomplete weapon (ie: unloaded, disassembled, or absent from ammunition.) will be ruled unConstitutional with the arguement that withsome or all ofthe integral machinery/parts removed, it eliminates the ability to use arms as they were intended since they cease to be mechanically effective.
I agree this would be a huge win for everyone....hopefully it would allow everyone to have a Loaded weapon, because without ammunition is it really a firearm?? With the right case I think this would be able to be settle with good case law....who wants to be the test subject? :what:

cato

imported post

Gundude wrote:
ok, what's a bump?

bump to the top of the forum aka btt

the following are Ca legal non registered semi auto centerfire rifles. you can own one too. CGN brain trustfor the win :D

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

As expected the California forum has lit up with a buzz of new activity after the story on KTVU and the late night KGO talk show exposure.

I urge new people to consider the next seven months (until June 2010)a time to research the law, develop their understanding of the current limitations, and practice a dialogue should you encounter anyone (police included) with questions and concerns.

While it is not possible to inhibit the actions of internet strangers, particularly those who are determined to imitate what they have read about, I believe it bears repeating that there is a correctmethod and timeto do this. Please consider and heed the advice that is being given by the senior OCDO members.

pullnshoot25

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
As expected the California forum has lit up with a buzz of new activity after the story on KTVU and the late night KGO talk show exposure.

I urge new people to consider the next seven months (until June 2010) a time to research the law, develop their understanding of the current limitations, and practice a dialogue should you encounter anyone (police included) with questions and concerns.

While it is not possible to inhibit the actions of internet strangers, particularly those who are determined to imitate what they have read about, I believe it bears repeating that there is a correct method and time to do this. Please consider and heed the advice that is being given by the senior OCDO members.

Well said.

The man speaks the truth. All you newbies would do well to lend an ear (or eye) to him.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Since this has been unstickied and we are likely to again see more activity, Im bumping this to the top. If anyone has thought of any other information they would suggest adding to this list, drop another post.

DannyInSoCal

Im an OC newbie - So here are my questions:

1) If I have a leg holster for my sidearm and loaded mag - What happens when I get into my car? The different definitions of what is considered "open" is confusing when specfically applied to transportation... (By car or motorcycle...?)

2) As I understand it - Each city is allowed to establish its own OC restrictions. Is there a database for each CA county and/or city?

Looking forward to meeting everyone at the next SoCal OC event...

Thanx, DISC

merle

1) If I have a leg holster for my sidearm and loaded mag - What happens when I get into my car? The different definitions of what is considered "open" is confusing when specfically applied to transportation... (By car or motorcycle...?)

2) As I understand it - Each city is allowed to establish its own OC restrictions. Is there a database for each CA county and/or city?

Thanx, DISC

1. Open carry is a personal thing. It doesn't change whether you get in a car, on a bike or just walking down the street. The holster aspect is to clarify that a weapon partially concealed by a holster is not to be considered concealed (any more than a weapon in your hand is concealed by your fingers).

2. I believe cities and municipals are pre-empted by CA law on further restrictions. No need to check deeper. There are few edge cases (e.g. fishing from a pier) which includes multiple areas like Fish and Game, private versus municipal property. A search will bring up additional information.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

Thanx, DISC

1) 12025(f) defines what is not considered a concealed weapon. If your pistol is openly carried in a belt holster it is not concealed. Getting into a motor vehicle does not change this definition.

2) Cities and counties cannot create new law that is in conflict with State law, otherwise the patchwork of restrictions that you suggest would be unnavigable. You should however check your city and county ordinances for restrictions on discharge and be familiar with those areas.affected.

If you are interested in open carry, you should make yourself familiar enough with the applicable penal code to cite it from memory. Once you have educated yourself, take a moment to conduct a member search to discover which of us is nearest your location. Send a breif private message to them and ask them if they would like to get together for an orientation meet.

If you wait for someone else to organize a function, you may let the world pass you by. The other issue is that you are waiting for some 'special event' to exercise something that is your daily right. Open carry is not about celebrating a gun rights holiday that comes around twice a year or making a big splash for the local media to pick up- it is about going about your usual business and being armed is no big deal. Wash, rinse, repeat.