• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Noobie Thread - Suggestions from those who have been there.

K

kittyhawk63

Another importaint thing. . .

In connection with having a voice recorder you should also have the connections, skill and programs to transfer your recordings to your computer as quickly as possible after an encounter. There was a time I lost an interaction because the batteries died before I could transfer the recording. Luckily I had backup video.

Yes, and it would not hurt to have this information uploaded onto the Internet into some online storage like Carbonite as soon as possible. There are a few free ones that offer 2-5GB.

DooFster

Here's a question:

I'm AD USAF and we were issued M9 Mag-Holsters that have a velcro strap that goes over top of the magazine. Is the magazine considered to be concealed? keep in mind when you're standing behind me, and you look off to the side of me, you can clearly see it's a magazine, but if you look at my side, it looks like a fully-covered magazine. The same question also goes to my leg holster that has a mag-pouch with velcro strap attached to it... Am I out of code?

Gundude

Here's a question:

I'm AD USAF and we were issued M9 Mag-Holsters that have a velcro strap that goes over top of the magazine. Is the magazine considered to be concealed? keep in mind when you're standing behind me, and you look off to the side of me, you can clearly see it's a magazine, but if you look at my side, it looks like a fully-covered magazine. The same question also goes to my leg holster that has a mag-pouch with velcro strap attached to it... Am I out of code?

You are considered unloaded if there is no ammo in the chamber or the mag well. Some people carry an empty mag in the well, and it's still unloaded. Mags visible in a pouch are ok. I use one of these holsters with my PMK .380

coldeagle

Noob question

Hello folks:

I've been following your cause and I'm interested joining your upcoming event in La Mesa. I think I should be ok, but I wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1) Is the attached rig ok? The magazine holder is on the front (which is where I'm planning on holding my loaded magazine), and from what I've read I should be fine, but I want to check.
IMAG0004.jpg
2) As far as the legal defense, has anyone tried it with Pre-Paid Legal? I'm planning on calling my member law firm on Monday to make sure I'm covered (I should be); however, I'm curious if anyone has "tested their metal' as it were in the non hypothetical sense?

Thanks for your opinions and for standing up for our 2nd amendment rights!

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Hello folks:

I've been following your cause and I'm interested joining your upcoming event in La Mesa. I think I should be ok, but I wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1) Is the attached rig ok? The magazine holder is on the front (which is where I'm planning on holding my loaded magazine), and from what I've read I should be fine, but I want to check.
View attachment 6983
2) As far as the legal defense, has anyone tried it with Pre-Paid Legal? I'm planning on calling my member law firm on Monday to make sure I'm covered (I should be); however, I'm curious if anyone has "tested their metal' as it were in the non hypothetical sense?

Thanks for your opinions and for standing up for our 2nd amendment rights!

Welcome to OCDO.

Its good to know that this thread is getting some review, but with new questions, it would probably be best if they had a thread of their own.

To your questions;

A holster that holds both your pistol and a seperate magazine is legal, however some practice will be necessary to draw both the magazine and the pistol from the same side. Ideally, having the ability to draw both components at the same time can reduce your load time significantly.

Pre-paid legal I believe is focused on legal needs of a non-criminal nature- incorporation, wills, trusts, property issues and the like. If you are charged with a crime, you will need access to an attorney who knows California gun law who can defend you against criminal charges. This is already a legally risky activity, I dont think a program like a pre-paid legal system is going to cover a claim wherein the client appears to them to be pursuing a costly legal conflict.

If you search for Theseus and his situation involving a school zone violation, you will see that things didnt turn out so well for him- and on the other end of the spectrum you can also search for Sam Wolanyk (elsensei) and his case against the City of San Diego.

Firemark

Thanks Condition Three, exactly what I was going to say. Coldeagle, welcome. If you have any questions let me know by PM or posting, Ill see you at La Mesa Oktoberfest.

mjones

yay! Its finally stickied - I think I've asked for a sticky on this at least a dozen times (since its been possible)