• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norfolk here comes VCDL

AbNo

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
AbNo wrote:
Second week of classes for me, I'd love to, but I really can't.... :cry:

Heck, im going to be skipping my classes that day and driving from Richmond to make it there. I can miss one day of class to show support for my fellow gun owners.

Can I get a ride from Rockingham county (or nearby) someone?

Damn you, Mercutio... :lol:

paramedic70002

imported post

My wife OCed on the ferry yesterday. Afte she read the Opinion piece in the Pilot she made a special trip with the kids from Franklin over to Town Point Park just too see what would happen. Man she was fired up!

Kevin108

imported post

Glad everything went smooth for her. Hope the kids had fun at the park!

I'm not certain I'm going to take the ferry. I'm going to make it weather and heat dependent. Most of the time I can catch the ferry quicker than I can drive in first gear all the way onto 264 and through the tunnel, and that's not even counting the 10 minutes it takes to find a parking spot over there.

But one way or another I'll make it over for this!

Kevin108

imported post

Problemo. I just got an e-mail back this morning from HRT:

Good Morning
Thank you for contacting Hampton Roads Transit with your concern. HRT policy is that no weapons can be carry on board of any of its vehicles to include the ferry. Sorry for the inconvenience but the safety and security of our commuters is very important. Again thank you.

Best regards,

Roberto Gomez

Customer Advocate

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Kevin108 wrote:
I'm on the other side of the water but a stone's throw from the ferry.
Anybody know if you can carry on the ferry?

I'm tired, thinking "ferry carry" to myself just cracked me up. :lol:

Based on your post and the answer from the "Ferry Authority", you will have to use a fanny pack, or a "Ferry bag.":lol:

Touch the monkey:monkey

vrwmiller

imported post

Kevin108 wrote:

Good Morning
Thank you for contacting Hampton Roads Transit with your concern. HRT policy is that no weapons can be carry on board of any of its vehicles to include the ferry. Sorry for the inconvenience but the safety and security of our commuters is very important. Again thank you.

Best regards,

Roberto Gomez

Customer Advocate
They don't care about the safety and security of their commuters. If they did, then those commuters would be permitted to carry. Their statement implies that a person that does carry a firearm is irresponsbile and negligent, and Lord knows what else. What hogwash.

It would be more appropriately phrased something akin to "Sorry for the inconvenience, but whatever we can do limit the cost of liability insurance, we will do, even if it compromises the safety and security of our commuters".

paramedic70002

imported post

Kevin108 wrote:

Good Morning

Best regards,

Roberto Gomez

Customer Advocate
Policies don't mean squat. They can't very well ask you to leave in the middle of the Elizabeth River.

Ghettokracker71

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Kevin108 wrote:

Good Morning

Best regards,

Roberto Gomez

Customer Advocate
Policies don't mean squat. They can't very well ask you to leave in the middle of the Elizabeth River.
This is true:shock: lol

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Kevin108 wrote:
I'm on the other side of the water but a stone's throw from the ferry.
Anybody know if you can carry on the ferry?

I'm tired, thinking "ferry carry" to myself just cracked me up. :lol:

Based on your post and the answer from the "Ferry Authority", you will have to use a fanny pack, or a "Ferry bag.":lol:

Touch the monkey:monkey

A little more strained humor, Hawk?

Kind or close tothe PC line for this forum, I'd say.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Kevin108 wrote:

Good Morning

Best regards,

Roberto Gomez

Customer Advocate
You may want to forward that on to VCDL. The policy is not advertised on their website and it counter to state law.

rabbit994

imported post

He was probably confused so I imagine in the employee handbook it says "No weapons or such on people or vechs." and thinking it means everyone instead of just employees. I imagine if you forward it to VCDL, Phillip has a contact over there and he can quickly clean it all up.

Tomahawk

imported post

Sounds like we need to find a nice place to eat on the other side of the water...;)

There is a rule of some kind about carrying on waterways under DGIF's jurisdiction, that's something else you might want to look into. Maybe I'll check it out and post back later.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

OK - VCDL is now looking into this. Executive member Ron Lilly is all over it and has already fired the first salvo (email) at HRT. He will be reporting back tomorrow on the issue.

jenzenk

imported post

Is HRT a government run operation??? If they are, how can they create a policy that is contradictory to state law? Wouldn't pre-emption keep them from doing this?

What do I know... INAL

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just read this part of the thread and I'm having some major cognitive dissonance here. The ferry people are saying we can't even keep a pistol in our cars while on their ferry, which connects one public roadway to another. I don't care what percentage of their funding comes from my taxes. Their conveyances are simply an alternative to a toll bridge or tunnel. Private or public, I don't think I've ever seen a sign before a bridge or tunnel saying "no weapons allowed" (even in DPR's like NJ and MD!).

Their policy is to disarm me because it makes them "feel" better. My policy is to go armed for my personal safety and that of my loved ones. Guess which policy carries more weight for me.

:cuss:

Kevin108

imported post

Uncle, just to clarify, this particular ferry carries only pedestrians and the occasional cyclist. Back in the 60s or so it carried cars but no longer.