• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NOT the way to Open Carry....

WalkingWolf

Backpedaling. Where did *anyone* say a LG could go off by itself? I take your lack of cite as concession that it didn't happen.

As for AD when being bumped, like I said earlier, in Colt's manual, they mention this specific case. Take it up with Colt if you disagree. Under what circumstances? Don't know. How likely? Don't know. Unless you have knowledge of the stats on AR accidental discharge for various reasons, you are blowing smoke. My mini-14 manual makes no such warning. Is the risk the same? Don't know and I doubt you do either. Maybe it happened once, Colt got sued and forever after the lawyers put that statement there.

And us poor long gun hoplophobes! Whatever are we to do with our rifles and shotguns? I'm so scared, it takes up a week of courage to go skeet shooting and then I can't wait until it's over, and the damn thing is cleaned and put back locked up tight in the safe. I dread even thinking about sighting in my new AR! OMG, I'm shaking in my boots! There will be other people with rifles at the range too! Why oh why do I keep these evil weapons of destruction around? It must be a perverse sickness.

Very lame~~many of the Brady Bunch are skeet shooters, hell Obama is a skeet shooter. Very Very lame! But it is what I expect from those who have fears of law abiding citizens openly carrying of firearms, including long guns.

Law abider

I don't have a sling for my ARs, as I don't OC them. I OC a pistol only, because that's what practical for me. So, I can't do what you ask. Frankly, I don't see how it's relevant. You are free to disagree with my assessment (as you obviously do). I don't see why we can't just leave it at disagreement. Why do you need to see me as an "anti"? What does that do for you? I assure you it's not actually accurate, if that's of any concern.

I never argued that carrying a rifle slung will "cause it to fire by itself". I merely pointed out that slung rifles do not have covered triggers, and a loaded rifle without the safety set will fire if the trigger is inadvertently bumped (which can and does happen). I opined that, as a rifle doesn't have a holster to cover the trigger, and safeties are mechanical devices which can fail (or be left off, or become flipped off), and as we have multiple redundant gun safety rules for these reasons, it's responsible to apply these rules and ensure that a slung rifle is always pointed in a safe direction (at least, when there is a safe direction).

What you instinctively know is irrelevant. Do you believe that your instincts make it a good idea for you to point loaded guns at things you don't wish to destroy, contrary to a universally agreed-upon rule of gun safety? Again, rules are redundant because people make mistakes, and redundancy prevents those mistakes from becoming tragic.

Ok so you are not against people OCing their LGs but HOW is the issue. And you disagreed with the way the Appleton boys carried them. You felt that the WAY they were carrying would allow the gun to discharge. Ok. I disagree and I can live with that disagreement. The issue at hand was the fact that you gave an appearance that you do not believe we should be OCing our LGs. Time for me to move to another topic.

Last edited:

jhfc

Very lame~~many of the Brady Bunch are skeet shooters, hell Obama is a skeet shooter. Very Very lame! But it is what I expect from those who have fears of law abiding citizens openly carrying of firearms, including long guns.

Now we can add a bit of red herring to your usual straw man fallacies. All of the above is irrelevant.

And I notice you cannot quote the post where anyone says a long gun can go off by itself. Does that make you a liar? I think it does.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Now we can add a bit of red herring to your usual straw man fallacies. All of the above is irrelevant.

And I notice you cannot quote the post where anyone says a long gun can go off by itself. Does that make you a liar? I think it does.

Did or did not Obama claim to be a skeet shooter? Did you or did you not claim to be a skeet shooter? You are the one throwing out dead fish because you have nothing but emotions to back up your absolutely silly ramblings.

jhfc

Did or did not Obama claim to be a skeet shooter? Did you or did you not claim to be a skeet shooter? You are the one throwing out dead fish because you have nothing but emotions to back up your absolutely silly ramblings.

Again, all irrelevant, i.e., a red herring.

chowda

It has been by the gun community at large. The feedback is to not carry an AR15 on your back in public. This feedback is being ignored. This has fed the anti-crowd and caused us to lose an ally like Starbucks.

Yup, you are correct. Dumbasses are killing off any allies we have and driving away any allies we could get on the side of firearms ownership.
But these few males are all about themselves, all the way. Screw everyone else, screw the whole community as it seems like they have a personal agenda that for some reason they need to act out in public.

chowda

This is the war we deal with already I will not give up my right to carry what I want when I want an how I choose
-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Then matt of hillsboro oregon, please stay in your own town in your own state and stay the hell out of wisconsin. We are just getting conservative governance here and all the good things that go with it, so please do your own acting out somewhere else.

Put an AK on your back, wear a mask and walk around downtown portland or eugene during the weekend nights. There, that should make you feel empowered. Leave us out of your stuff.

papa bear

They should.
But we all should also live in mayberry RFD north carolina.

I'm still waiting for someone that said they carry AKs in the scenarios I stated.

That's their job. If I were in a public place and I saw some dumbasses carrying long guns walking in my direction, you can be damned well garanteed that I will keep an eye on those nutbats. Why do I call them such a thing? Because I don't know if they are or aren't. But then again, when walking down the street, when I see someone standing in a doorway with his hand in his pocket, I look at him too. One time some bum caught me looking at him and he pulled out his hand, like it was a pistol, pointed it at me and pulled his 'trigger'.

Where is this mayberry you people seem to live? You people acting out will certainly screw it up for us people living where we indeed, need to have protection on us.

that's so funny CHOWDA, because i do literally live in Mayberry, NC. i once had the chief of police tell me that he believed in the 2ndA, but didn't think citizens should have guns. :banghead:

but the point being that if no law was being broken then they did not have any duty to detain these guys.
you are right the stop was consensual , but by the guys carrying. it was their choice

lets say i am walking to my tree stand. you are going to harass me and call me a "nutbag" for carrying my long rifle. how about if i am just walking to the gunshop down the street to get it worked on. what do you want me to do tie a sting to it and drag it like they did in Germany.

if you have this attitude to rifles being carried, you must feel that way about carry period. do you call someone a "nutbag" for carrying a handgun where it is visible. if you do , then you are a anti rights plant and you should let everyone know you are.

chowda

I don't blame any officer who makes a consensual stop. I blame those police chiefs who hate guns for ruining the reputation of decent police officers...
THANK YOU.
Police chiefs are political creatures, more closely associated with politicians than anything else, so they respond to political/public pressure.

So when john/sandra q public go to pick up some veggies at the farmers market on saturday morning, how would anyone expect them to react, what would they think?
Then throw in the liberal/progressive dominated mainstream media sending their ants out there to do hit pieces on it for their 'news' shows and papers?

People dressed as normal people with a pistol on their belt, talking, laughing with cops I guess, actually purchasing things there, being friendly to people.....nah. They have the 'right' to do so much more......

papa bear

Then matt of hillsboro oregon, please stay in your own town in your own state and stay the hell out of wisconsin. We are just getting conservative governance here and all the good things that go with it, so please do your own acting out somewhere else.

Put an AK on your back, wear a mask and walk around downtown portland or eugene during the weekend nights. There, that should make you feel empowered. Leave us out of your stuff.

where was any one wearing a mask??? stretch the truth much.

Hey WOLF, just to let you know that I consider anyone that wants to restrict carry of firearms a ANTI, that include many on this forum. i often wonder how many on here are plants. i really don't have a problem with the opposition, but i would like them to admit to it., and be honest about it

Last edited:

chowda

that's so funny CHOWDA, because i do literally live in Mayberry, NC. i once had the chief of police tell me that he believed in the 2ndA, but didn't think citizens should have guns.
I saw, that's why I said it. :D

So, to win over your ignorant chief, we should all wander around crowded public places with AKs and FALs? :confused:

What is the best way to fight ignorance? IF an animal is head shy because it was smacked a few times too many, for them to get over it one should lunge for their head and grab their ears?

lets say i am walking to my tree stand. you are going to harass me and call me a "nutbag" for carrying my long rifle.
I know that you're another out of stater trying to tell us wisconsinites how to run our state, but there are no treestands in downtown appleton, nor in downtown green bay, no matter what the stereotype is. It may be called a 'farmers market', but it's on the main street going through downtown appleton, so no deer there, nary a squirrel, rabbit, or even a few trees close together.

What was weird is did those kids even buy anything? Guess they must have had other intentions, like making a political statement.

how about if i am just walking to the gunshop down the street to get it worked on.
Are you actually walking somewhere or just hanging out? Are you walking to a park full of people? Are you walking to a motorcycle rally? Are you black and walking towards a KKK rally? Are you.....

I had a gunstore down the street from me and I just unloaded my long gun, stuck it in a case and walked there. I guess I didn't see any big deal. I didn't feel deprived of any of my rights--quite the contrary, I thought it was a very sensible thing for me to do.

if you have this attitude to rifles being carried, you must feel that way about carry period. do you call someone a "nutbag" for carrying a handgun where it is visible.

There's a reason why I often repeat myself in multiple posts....because it seems as though some people have some personal agenda and only reed enough to load up an attack for their post. *sigh* but I do understand this stuff.

For the 852nd time, I have no problem with people doing concealed carry, nor open carry of pistols. Toting around AKs or shotguns or... in public places is 8 ways of dumbass acting out.

then you are a anti rights plant and you should let everyone know you are.

*sigh* Ever since algore invented the internet, it's been full of creating strawmen, then attack it. Leftist boards are full of this, just as some right/conservative boards are. It's the nature of isolated groupthink. Heck, that's how we wound up with dumbass obozo in the white house, twice.

strawman_obama.jpg

chowda

where was any one wearing a mask??? stretch the truth much.

That was an extension of logic, a way to test the logic of something is either to reverse it or extend it.
You failed as you are stuck staring at a tree in the middle of the forest.

But I'll help you out. Wearing a mask is also your 'right', so why not?

Please stay out of our state as we are working on building on a good thing.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

That was an extension of logic, a way to test the logic of something is either to reverse it or extend it.
You failed as you are stuck staring at a tree in the middle of the forest.

But I'll help you out. Wearing a mask is also your 'right', so why not?

Please stay out of our state as we are working on building on a good thing.

A police state? And who is "we"?

chowda

A police state?
You do seem to have quite the personal issues with police. Sorry. I hope that someday you will get over it and be able to move on with your life.
And by the way, as you seem to be agitated about it, I might as well tell you I'm not a cop, nor in any form of government.

And who is "we"?
Conservatives and other normal people in WI who have had to live under liberal/progressive domination from madison. (that's the capital of this state and is the equivalent of berkley ca).
With our new governor and reps, we've been able to take the liberal/progressive foot off of our throats and put some brakes on them stealing our monies.....plus we got concealed carry and can open carry.
We have a good thing going here, but that 'we' does not include the liberal/progressives, the government unionists, anti-gun people, criminals, etc.

Please stay in your state and rail against your own community's police force, etc. Leave US out of your issues. We can do just fine without you.

WalkingWolf

Me is part of we. We have very good firearm laws here in Wisconsin.

Yes but Chowda is not satisfied with good firearm laws, he wants to extend the arm of police to limit and intimidate the public. He has made it clear he does not give a rat's behind about citizen rights.

WalkingWolf

You do seem to have quite the personal issues with police. Sorry. I hope that someday you will get over it and be able to move on with your life.
And by the way, as you seem to be agitated about it, I might as well tell you I'm not a cop, nor in any form of government.

Conservatives and other normal people in WI who have had to live under liberal/progressive domination from madison. (that's the capital of this state and is the equivalent of berkley ca).
With our new governor and reps, we've been able to take the liberal/progressive foot off of our throats and put some brakes on them stealing our monies.....plus we got concealed carry and can open carry.
We have a good thing going here, but that 'we' does not include the liberal/progressives, the government unionists, anti-gun people, criminals, etc.

Please stay in your state and rail against your own community's police force, etc. Leave US out of your issues. We can do just fine without you.

Go procreate yourself! All members can post in any forum they choose, the issue of the OP is not just a single state issue. You are going to be extremely frustrated around here trying to exert your imagined authority. I suggest you post on police one, if they will tolerate you even there.

BTW I have nothing against honest law enforcement. I have a lot against wannabe cops, and nut cases with a badge who think they have secret super powers over the citizens.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

Yes but Chowda is not satisfied with good firearm laws, he wants to extend the arm of police to limit and intimidate the public. He has made it clear he does not give a rat's behind about citizen rights.

To be fair, he has not advocated more laws. He has advocated that we police ourselves and discourage the Open Carry of AR15s. The only thing we have truly accomplished so far by carrying AR15s in public is that Starbucks has asked us not to carry handguns there any more.