• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not very knowledgeable about 1911

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Oh, yes. They even make some guns with special slots in the dust cover where you can hang a minuture flashlight. No more fumbling around in the dark trying to light the lantern. Its kinda handy for those late night trips to the outhouse, too. Just be careful where you point the flashlight if your zipper gets stuck. :)

They even make little pointy lights for flinty eyed ol' pharts.

hp1.jpg

PS - some things don't require much light.

WalkingWolf

Oh, yes. They even make some guns with special slots in the dust cover where you can hang a minuture flashlight. No more fumbling around in the dark trying to light the lantern. Its kinda handy for those late night trips to the outhouse, too. Just be careful where you point the flashlight if your zipper gets stuck. :)

Zipper? What is a zipper? All my britches have buttons. You youngsters and silly ideas...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Zipper? What is a zipper? All my britches have buttons. You youngsters and silly ideas...

Eons ago I worked for a high end mens clothing manufacturer where they tried a then new product "Velcro" on men's trousers. The configuration was much more aggressive (think sharp & spikey) than the hook & loop we have now. It was not received well - no no, not well at all. :lol:

Back on topic I OCd my favorite carry 1911 everywhere today except at MCV hospital where I did openly wear an empty Serpa and mag cases.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I recently got an American Classic II GVT model. I OC it with a Blackhawk CQC level 2 holster. I am amazed at the fit and finish of this Philippine made gun for $512. I can't wait to actually shoot it.

dashowdy

I recently got an American Classic II GVT model. I OC it with a Blackhawk CQC level 2 holster. I am amazed at the fit and finish of this Philippine made gun for $512. I can't wait to actually shoot it.

I recently got the commander size model for about the same and I am stoked to go out and shoot it, The fit and finish is absolutely incredible, some american manufacturers could take some lessons from the companies over there.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Several! Including the lower-priced imports like RIA. Now, not a lot of gun shops might put them in stock, but they can definitely order one.

WalkingWolf

Does enyone make a 1911 in 38 super enymore?

You can get a 9X23 barrel also, which is more velocity than the 38 super. I would not do it on a inexpensive frame though. Para used to make 9X23 in a double stack, I didn't see it on their website so it must be a special order.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Definitely two great guns. I often OC my Vaquero version of that Blackhawk. It's taken a deer at 105 yards with a Winchester Silvertip, too.

A .38 Super is still on my list. One of these days...

ethorman

Back to 1911s I have had and carry a PARA GI Expert for about 2-3 years now and love it. I installed CTC grips. I wore it in a crossbreed supertuck ( I am about 6'3" 205lbs) It concealed well for me with just jeans and a t-shirt or even shorts. In 1 week we will be able to OC and it is going to be great to move it from my back to my hip where it belongs. I think without grips I paid around 550 for it. It works for me and I can not complain at all.

97463F7B-94D8-4D58-B9AB-BE347549BFB9-20791-0000160EBF610A93.jpg

robert1970

Back to 1911s I have had and carry a PARA GI Expert for about 2-3 years now and love it. I installed CTC grips. I wore it in a crossbreed supertuck ( I am about 6'3" 205lbs) It concealed well for me with just jeans and a t-shirt or even shorts. In 1 week we will be able to OC and it is going to be great to move it from my back to my hip where it belongs. I think without grips I paid around 550 for it. It works for me and I can not complain at all.

97463F7B-94D8-4D58-B9AB-BE347549BFB9-20791-0000160EBF610A93.jpg

I have a question I bought a blackhawk retention holsters,just like the one you have on in the pic.I was wondering will they harm the finnish on your gun?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I have a friend that bought a 1911 and mentioned it to me. I discussed it with him and mentioned it's not very easy to field strip and clean etc. As compared to the Glocks and XD's etc that break down easily with no tools required. He called me a while later and said I was dead on with the break down and he didn't enjoy the lengthy tear down and all the pieces. Just make sure to familiarize yourself and make sure you get what you want. Different strokes for different folks.
Tools? We don't need no stinking tools. The only tool I've ever used to field strip a 1911 is the bottom plate of a magazine. Used that to depress the recoil spring plug, and rotate the barrel bushing. Other wise, no tools necessary.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have a question I bought a blackhawk retention holsters,just like the one you have on in the pic.I was wondering will they harm the finnish on your gun?

I have several Blackhawk holsters including one for my 1911s. While all holsters will eventually cause wear with ise I have not noticed a Blackhawk holster causing more wear than any other holster.

DangerClose

There is another problem with compacts that you will want to research regarding your specific candidate gun. It may have been solved generally, but you will want to research it a bit so you don't buy a headache. Shortening the slide changes the momentum of the slide. This requires the manufacturer to monkey with the recoil spring tension. Some compacts had problems arising from slide weight/spring tension issues. Spend some time researching on forums about your candidate gun's mechanical reliability.
That's the main thing I'd worry about. 3" models have a history of being less reliable than the larger versions. I'm not going to say they're bad or don't work; lots of people trust their lives to them, but they do have a less-reliable history, and, really pretty much any small gun isn't inherently as reliable as a bigger version.

A lot of people love 3" 1911s, while a lot of other people won't touch one smaller than 4".

And from what I've seen of fps tests, .45 only loses about 10% going from 5" to 3" and loses very little from 5" to 4". With today's ammo, choose wisely and it should be a non-factor.

yes. Lots of things harder than a cleaning cloth can harm the finish on your gun. If you rub hard enough, a cleaning cloth could probably harm it too.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
That's the main thing I'd worry about. 3" models have a history of being less reliable than the larger versions. I'm not going to say they're bad or don't work; lots of people trust their lives to them, but they do have a less-reliable history, and, really pretty much any small gun isn't inherently as reliable as a bigger version.

A lot of people love 3" 1911s, while a lot of other people won't touch one smaller than 4".

And from what I've seen of fps tests, .45 only loses about 10% going from 5" to 3" and loses very little from 5" to 4". With today's ammo, choose wisely and it should be a non-factor.

yes. Lots of things harder than a cleaning cloth can harm the finish on your gun. If you rub hard enough, a cleaning cloth could probably harm it too.

Yeah, that's kinda my point. Ten percent of 850 is 85. Deduct 85 from 850 and you're down to 765 ft/sec. I don't recall with certainty, but I think plain old .38 Spl gets 800 ft/sec. out of a 4" barrel.

You do have a good point about ammo selection, though. There might be some made to develop pressure sooner to get the velocity up before the bullet exits the barrel. Also, some of the premium defensive ammo does reach 1000 ft/sec. I think one of Corbon's cartridge's does that. Even if you lose ten percent in a shorter barrel, you're still developing respectable muzzle energy, I would think. (As long as the bullet wasn't dramatically lightened.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I'm reminded of the old saw that finish wear on a gun is character squared. Mine all have well earned character.

That said, there is no "perfect holster."

Kydex produces somewhat accelerated wear at the pressure points.

Leather, particularly suede holds moisture close to the gun and tends to scar easier + doesn't like oil or water.

Nylon seldom has the right combination of security, accessibility and doesn't satisfy my wants/needs.

My daily carry is kydex, my occasional dress holster is leather or a hybrid, don't own a nylon except a small pocket holster. Nice thing is that we have a proliferation of choices.........especially for 1911s. :D

WalkingWolf

I'm reminded of the old saw that finish wear on a gun is character squared. Mine all have well earned character.

That said, there is no "perfect holster."

Kydex produces somewhat accelerated wear at the pressure points.

Leather, particularly suede holds moisture close to the gun and tends to scar easier + doesn't like oil or water.

Nylon seldom has the right combination of security, accessibility and doesn't satisfy my wants/needs.

My daily carry is kydex, my occasional dress holster is leather or a hybrid, don't own a nylon except a small pocket holster. Nice thing is that we have a proliferation of choices.........especially for 1911s. :D
Most of the wear on a handgun from holster is improper fit. If a gun can move around even the slightest in a holster it will wear just by the act of walking. If a person does not continually draw their weapon draw wear should be insignificant. More expensive holsters that are molded to the exact gun will probably lesson concerns of wear.