• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

Riana

A full-face helment with shorts and a t-shirt? dude, roadrash HURTS!
Indeed.

I'm reminded of back when California enacted its helmet law. That weekend, I saw a 20-something man riding his Ninja (I think it was a 1000; might have been a 1200, though), dutifully wearing his helmet... and a tank top, board shorts, and flip-flops. His helmet would have protected his skull in a wreck, though the amount of road rash he would have sustained might have made him wish otherwise.

And to get back on topic, I'm OC in my kitchen right now. :rolleyes:

Riana

OK, finally made it out of the house today. OC'd at Fair Oaks Silver Diner, and took a walk through the Fair Oaks Mall to buy stuff at Bath & Body Works - no issues anywhere.

Steeler-gal

OK, finally made it out of the house today. OC'd at Fair Oaks Silver Diner, and took a walk through the Fair Oaks Mall to buy stuff at Bath & Body Works - no issues anywhere.

Ditto. Was with her and we had fun. I noticed a few ppl checking us out at the mall but no incidents - except for the Kiosk Shill who suckered me in to hear her schpeel. Thank God Rianna reminded me of our "appointment" and we had to leave. Whoo!

========================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching Classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

PaulX608

Ditto. Was with her and we had fun. I noticed a few ppl checking us out at the mall but no incidents - except for the Kiosk Shill who suckered me in to hear her schpeel. Thank God Rianna reminded me of our "appointment" and we had to leave. Whoo!

Glad you gals had a good experience at Fair Oaks! Next time, come on down to LensCrafters, we don't mind OC either.

Steeler-gal

Glad you gals had a good experience at Fair Oaks! Next time, come on down to LensCrafters, we don't mind OC either.

We talked about it but then got distracted by chocolate at the Godiva store. :)

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We talked about it but then got distracted by chocolate at the Godiva store. :)

You can be armed with chocolate, yes the case is included. :lol:
http://www.chocolateammo.com/military-chocolate-novelty-products/chocolate-hand-gun.html

file_25_20.jpg

Last edited:

Riana

Steeler-gal

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
But that's not GODIVA chocolate, Grapeshot... you simply can't understand (you're a guy).

Today's OC outings included a trip to the Herndon DQ to get Blizzards for the Youngling and me (in support of the Children's Miracle Network, of course), and now lunch at Panera Bread Herndon. No issues anywhere.

Ladies,

Some gents--a very few--do understand. Especially those with a sense of refinement. Especially those who combine excellent chocolate with another favorite sensory indulgence. Fine scotch, for example.

For gentleman readers who don't quite see it, perhaps this will give some perspective. Hersheys is to Godiva like Jim Beam is to Johnny Walker Gold Label. In both cases, the former is good. But, the latter is an exquisite sensory indulgence.

No open carry today. Yet.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Agreed. Don't try and wrap your pretty little head around it. You'll never understand. ;)

Have you ever actually ever seen him? "Pretty" is one of the last terms I would expect to hear applied regarding his noggin.

Unless you meant to, but for some reason forgot to end with "Bless his heart".

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
. Hersheys is to Godiva like Jim Beam is to Johnny Walker Gold Label. In both cases, the former is good. But, the latter is an exquisite sensory indulgence.

Well, yes, mid-grade is always better than economy-class. But all four are blended goods, meaning they try to average the bad and the good in order to wind up with adequate. Virginia is blessed with a growing number of craft chocolatiers who roast and grind their own beans, just as Scotland is blessed with dedicated single-malt distilleries who more than make up for some of the crapmeisters also putting out single malt product.

It's sort of like the comparison of Wall White Box ammo to a dedicated handload developed over time and perhaps a few shot-out chronograph screens.:D

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Well, yes, mid-grade is always better than economy-class. But all four are blended goods, meaning they try to average the bad and the good in order to wind up with adequate. Virginia is blessed with a growing number of craft chocolatiers who roast and grind their own beans, just as Scotland is blessed with dedicated single-malt distilleries who more than make up for some of the crapmeisters also putting out single malt product.

It's sort of like the comparison of Wall White Box ammo to a dedicated handload developed over time and perhaps a few shot-out chronograph screens.:D

stay safe.

I was about to go do some open carrying, but now ya got me riled. The above quoted heresy must be addressed! :p:)

Average the bad and the good in order to wind up with adequate!?!?! The bad!?! Adequate!?!

Oh, my.

For all readers, even single-malt whiskeys are blended from multiple barrels. Yep. The distinction is whether a bottler blends whiskeys from multiple distilleries, or whether he blends only the stuff he himself produces. A single-malt scotch means all the scotch in the bottle came from the same distillery, even though the bottle contains whiskeys from multiple barrels from that distillery blended together. A blend scotch means the scotch in the bottle came from multiple barrels from more than one distillery. The only scotch that would be unblended at all is called single cask.

Now, there is a reason all this blending is going on. It is definitely not because they are blending bad and good to achieve adequate. It is because they are aiming for some uniformity of flavor. A number of things affect the taste of a whiskey. For example, what went into it (barley, corn, rye), what the storage barrel held previously (American bourbon, spanish wine), etc. So, every barrel of whiskey tastes different. And, they reach maturity at different rates. There are people whose sole function is to sample the whiskey from multiple barrels and write the bottling instructions for which barrels are to be combined for a bottling run in order to come reasonably close to that product line's core flavor profile.

Otherwise, you could buy three bottles of any one brand of whiskey bottled across a month, and all three would taste dramatically different.

So, even the single-malt scotches are blended. They're just blended from all in-house barrels. Whereas, brands that are blends, for example, Johnny Walker, Chivas Regal, Glenlivet, are blended from barrels supplied to them by multiple distilleries.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I was about to go do some open carrying, but now ya got me riled. The above quoted heresy must be addressed! :p:)

Average the bad and the good in order to wind up with adequate!?!?! The bad!?! Adequate!?!

Oh, my.

For all readers, even single-malt whiskeys are blended from multiple barrels. Yep. The distinction is whether a bottler blends whiskeys from multiple distilleries, or whether he blends only the stuff he himself produces. A single-malt scotch means all the scotch in the bottle came from the same distillery, even though the bottle contains whiskeys from multiple barrels from that distillery blended together. A blend scotch means the scotch in the bottle came from multiple barrels from more than one distillery. The only scotch that would be unblended at all is called single cask.

Now, there is a reason all this blending is going on. It is definitely not because they are blending bad and good to achieve adequate. It is because they are aiming for some uniformity of flavor. A number of things affect the taste of a whiskey. For example, what went into it (barley, corn, rye), what the storage barrel held previously (American bourbon, spanish wine), etc. So, every barrel of whiskey tastes different. And, they reach maturity at different rates. There are people whose sole function is to sample the whiskey from multiple barrels and write the bottling instructions for which barrels are to be combined for a bottling run in order to come reasonably close to that product line's core flavor profile.

Otherwise, you could buy three bottles of any one brand of whiskey bottled across a month, and all three would taste dramatically different.

So, even the single-malt scotches are blended. They're just blended from all in-house barrels. Whereas, brands that are blends, for example, Johnny Walker, Chivas Regal, Glenlivet, are blended from barrels supplied to them by multiple distilleries.

The Glenlivet is a single malt scotch... unless they're lying. For the money spent, my preference is Glenfiddich. I find it a little smoother and more mellow than The Glenlivet.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The Glenlivet is a single malt scotch... unless they're lying. For the money spent, my preference is Glenfiddich. I find it a little smoother and more mellow than The Glenlivet.

Dammit, you would have to go and mention Glenfiddich. Now I'm all thirsty. Fortunately, its legal to OC in ABC stores. :)

(Thanks for the info on Glenlivet.)

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Ladies,

Some gents--a very few--do understand. Especially those with a sense of refinement. Especially those who combine excellent chocolate with another favorite sensory indulgence. Fine scotch, for example.

For gentleman readers who don't quite see it, perhaps this will give some perspective. Hersheys is to Godiva like Jim Beam is to Johnny Walker Gold Label. In both cases, the former is good. But, the latter is an exquisite sensory indulgence.

No open carry today. Yet.
While I agree about the chocolate, I'll gladly take a Kentucky Bourbon over Scotch any day. Although this maybe a result of an unfortunate mistake/accident about 55 years ago. As I understand it from the story as my father told it, a friend and he were drinking Scotch and talking at the table, and I said I wanted some. Dad said he thought I'd smell it and give it back but I drank it Da** near choked. To this day I Can't stand the smell of Scotch. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While I agree about the chocolate, I'll gladly take a Kentucky Bourbon over Scotch any day. Although this maybe a result of an unfortunate mistake/accident about 55 years ago. As I understand it from the story as my father told it, a friend and he were drinking Scotch and talking at the table, and I said I wanted some. Dad said he thought I'd smell it and give it back but I drank it Da** near choked. To this day I Can't stand the smell of Scotch. :lol:

Hmmm - Some say that about Irish, though I don't subscribe to that. :lol:

Yes, I am OCing as I type this, but I still don't think that sets a good example for the forum.