• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

PaulX608

You can be armed with chocolate, yes the case is included. :lol:
http://www.chocolateammo.com/military-chocolate-novelty-products/chocolate-hand-gun.html

file_25_20.jpg

Would that be Glockolate?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Dammit, you would have to go and mention Glenfiddich. Now I'm all thirsty. Fortunately, its legal to OC in ABC stores. :)

(Thanks for the info on Glenlivet.)

I really enjoy scotch and Glenfiddich is the one I like best for the money spent. That's why I only buy it a few times a year. I drink very little, including beer, but if there is a bottle scotch in the house, it will be gone within a week.

As to the thread topic at hand, I have had a number of positive encounters over the past weeks that I have not bothered to report. The latest one was late last week when someone asked me, "Is that real?" to which I responded in a lighthearted fashion, "Gee I hope so, otherwise I left home this morning with the wrong thing".

Oh, there were two positive comments and some questions two days ago at Curry's Auto in Gainesville. A tire installer engaged me in a discussion about getting a handgun and asked what I was carrying. Then the owner of the business stopped by and introduced himself and said, "I see you're carrying. That's good [or good for you.... something like that]". And this past Monday, the general manager of that shop and I had a conversation about handguns and carrying and he said he used to work for DSS (Department of State Security).

It's so unexceptional up here to be OC'ing, and by that I mean that I rarely get second glances, stares, or looks of fear. I could virtually say that this just does not happen... at least to me. Just not a problem or anything special or out of the ordinary is the impression one gets when OC'ing in my environs.

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member
I was about to go do some open carrying, but now ya got me riled. The above quoted heresy must be addressed! :p:)

Average the bad and the good in order to wind up with adequate!?!?! The bad!?! Adequate!?!

Oh, my.

For all readers, even single-malt whiskeys are blended from multiple barrels. Yep. The distinction is whether a bottler blends whiskeys from multiple distilleries, or whether he blends only the stuff he himself produces. A single-malt scotch means all the scotch in the bottle came from the same distillery, even though the bottle contains whiskeys from multiple barrels from that distillery blended together. A blend scotch means the scotch in the bottle came from multiple barrels from more than one distillery. The only scotch that would be unblended at all is called single cask.

Now, there is a reason all this blending is going on. It is definitely not because they are blending bad and good to achieve adequate. It is because they are aiming for some uniformity of flavor. A number of things affect the taste of a whiskey. For example, what went into it (barley, corn, rye), what the storage barrel held previously (American bourbon, spanish wine), etc. So, every barrel of whiskey tastes different. And, they reach maturity at different rates. There are people whose sole function is to sample the whiskey from multiple barrels and write the bottling instructions for which barrels are to be combined for a bottling run in order to come reasonably close to that product line's core flavor profile.

Otherwise, you could buy three bottles of any one brand of whiskey bottled across a month, and all three would taste dramatically different.

So, even the single-malt scotches are blended. They're just blended from all in-house barrels. Whereas, brands that are blends, for example, Johnny Walker, Chivas Regal, Glenlivet, are blended from barrels supplied to them by multiple distilleries.

You also neglected to mention the fact that the distilleries also add water. However, if you purchase an Angel's Breath bottle that is also not watered you may also taste what comes out of the barrel, at this point you can taste the unblended whiskey and quality is then very apparent.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
View attachment 8976
At Loudoun county fair entrance
First year I've seen this

I looked and found no signs at the Fauquier County fair last weekend. I didn't OC, just in case, as we were there for one purpose only. I did see (apparently) a sheriff's deputy who was OCing ... she was wearing duty pants, an embroidered polo, and a glock.

zoom6zoom

Just some of the usual places today... Safeway and so on.

I'll gladly take a Kentucky Bourbon over Scotch any day
And, since it's the end of a hard week and I don't have to leave the house again tonight, I'm about to settle in with some Elijah Craig 18 Y.O. Single Barrel. Ah.

john-galt

Open Carry at Dunkin' Donuts

Open carried for the first while interacting with someone (as opposed to pumping gas or at the range) at a small Dunkin' Donuts in Fairfax off 29. I was clearly more nervous than the cashier. Only unusual thing was that when time came to give me my change the cashier typed some keystrokes in the register then said she would have to wait until the manager came to give me my change....I said "Okay" and waited...Then she paid me my change from the tip jar (no receipt).

Maybe my paranoia but just wondering if she didn't open the register for fear that I was going to rob her? Hopefully that was just my imagination working overtime.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Open carried for the first while interacting with someone (as opposed to pumping gas or at the range) at a small Dunkin' Donuts in Fairfax off 29. I was clearly more nervous than the cashier. Only unusual thing was that when time came to give me my change she typed some keystrokes in the register then said she would have to wait until the manager came to give me my change....I said "Okay" and waited...Then she paid me my change from the tip jar (no receipt).

Maybe my paranoia but just wondering if she didn't open the register for fear that I was going to rob her? Hopefully that was just my imagination working overtime.

As if a robber would be satisfied with the contents of the tip jar :uhoh:

My primary purpose in wanting a receipt for misc. cash purchases is to keep the cashier honest. None rings are a basic/simple source of skimming.

Riana

A fun-filled day for me. Helped out at Steeler-gal's Basic Pistol class this morning, followed by taking 7 of my fellow DAR members to the range to shoot - several for the first time. A good time was had by all.

And just to torture Citizen, range time was followed by dinner at Anita's. I'd never eaten there before, and it was excellent. And yes, I was OC - sitting strong side at the door (so everyone who entered got a look). No issues or comments.

Last edited:

mk4

A fun-filled day for me. Helped out at Steeler-gal's Basic Pistol class this morning, followed by taking 7 of my fellow DAR members to the range to shoot - several for the first time. A good time was had by all.

And just to torture Citizen, range time was followed by dinner at Anita's. I'd never eaten there before, and it was excellent. And yes, I was OC - sitting strong side at the door (so everyone who entered got a look). No issues or comments.

might be of interest?
http://vagunforum.net/general-discussion/looking-for-female-concealed-carry-instructor-t14116.html
in case you haven't already seen it.

:)

PWC_Glock

Have not posted in a while

I have been open carrying all over PWC with no issues to report.

Last week I open carried to my brothers house to babysit the nephew and niece.

Arrived on site knocked on the door and the most beautiful 6yr old opened the door, followed by the most handsome 8 year old in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

They let me in and noticed my friend and the niece said "my daddy has one and his is better" (By better she means prettier, I carry a Glock afterall).

The nephew said "Dad has one and he lets me touch it when I ask, however he keeps it in a safe and I don't know the combination." Pointing back to my firearm he asks "Is that illegal?"

Best carry experience ever.

O/T Does anyone have any opinion on the Henry lever action .22 youth rifle as a gift for an 8 year old?

mk4

O/T Does anyone have any opinion on the Henry lever action .22 youth rifle as a gift for an 8 year old?

yeah... you likely qualify as the "best uncle ever"... in your extended family. i'm the title-holder... in mine. ;)