• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

wrearick

While not illegal, many of us avoid the negative perception of mixing alcohol and OC.

Open carry is not prohibited in National Parks. National Parks (NPS) shall be the same as state parks (OC or CC) except that no guns are permitted where NPS employees regularly work - signage required.
http://answers.usa.gov/system/templ...l Areas Firearm Policies on FWS and NPS Lands

I have carried in several of the National Parks, and had conversations with rangers so I know it is not a problem. You can not go into any of the buildings as they are posted but I wore my empty holster as a form of silent protest.

nousdefions794

Reference Toby Keith's Woodbridge establishment, Fox News has picked up the story on the ban and comments are pouring in on all of his social media presences, as well as the restaurant's. I suspect it won't be long before there is either a public statement about it or (hopefully) a policy change. The restaurant has been deleting comments, but there are too many commenting to sustain that level of censorship.

I don't have any way of knowing if Toby was actually part of the decision making process for the ban, but I imagine the press will get his attention and his management.

I just saw that Huffington Post has also picked up the story. Unfortunately the comments section doesn't have too many posts from us:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/27/toby-keith-restaurant-guns_n_4509745.html

Maverick9

Whereupon the customer asked, "Oh, yeah?" and drew a concealed handgun and laid it on the counter. Then took out his concealed back-up gun and laid it on the counter. Then took out his CHP and laid it on the counter.

The guard was dumbfounded.

But, wait! There's more. This is the best part. Six more customers took out concealed handguns, displaying that they too were carrying these "prohibited" weapons. The guard was in total shock.

:)

Not sure I'd have shown my piece. Does remind me of a clip.
[video=youtube;YPRzh9pyEhI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPRzh9pyEhI[/video]

MNMGoneShooting

They also had samples there. This is the second opportunity I have had to consume a small sample of alcohol while OC, and the second time I have skipped it. Not because I worry about myself, just the perception I might give off. Any thoughts on that?

I love going by Total Wine (and wegmens). They always have great wine sampling going on. Unfortunately, I carry often. It's tempting, but I've never combined the two.

JohnM15A

Thumbs Up

Tonight the wife and I ate at our default restaurant, Famous Dave's. As we finished up and got out of our chairs I turned around and the booth next to our table I noticed a four member family staring at me like they have seen a ghost. In my mind I figured that they were from MD or one of those gun unfriendly states and they saw my sidearm and were in fear. But no, the father asked me if I was a member of NRA and I smiled and said "yes". Then I put my coat on and pointed to the patch on my coat and said "lifetime member". The father smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

I think the new Christmas gun (Master Carry Pro) I got is a lot more obvious than the all black XDs that is hanging out at SA for an upgrade. Before I got the Kimber I was carrying a Bodyguard 380 and I think most folks thought it was a cell phone...

JohnM15A

Interesting encounter with a chap at Lowes today. I was leaving Lowes when a chap stopped me to discuss my obvious sidearm. He was from FL and was wondering how to get a CHP so I stopped to talk with him. Tried to impart that carrying is quite a responsibility and one really should know the laws. So I gave him a couple of scenarios. Apparently he was not aware of all that one needs to consider before removing a sidearm from a holster for protection. I gave him a VCDL card and told him that this organization supports gun rights. He asked me if now would be a good time to get a gun in case the grabbers were coming and he could be grandfathered. I told him we just elected a Democrat Governor and Attorney General...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Interesting encounter with a chap at Lowes today. I was leaving Lowes when a chap stopped me to discuss my obvious sidearm. He was from FL and was wondering how to get a CHP so I stopped to talk with him. Tried to impart that carrying is quite a responsibility and one really should know the laws. So I gave him a couple of scenarios. Apparently he was not aware of all that one needs to consider before removing a sidearm from a holster for protection. I gave him a VCDL card and told him that this organization supports gun rights. He asked me if now would be a good time to get a gun in case the grabbers were coming and he could be grandfathered. I told him we just elected a Democrat Governor and Attorney General...

"No, sir. If your only reason for aquiring a gun now is because they might become difficult to obtain, and more expensive later, then you're really not the sort of person who needs one, what with your armed body-guards and all. Oh? You don't have armed body-guards? Then why didn't you buy a gun before now?" :)

That was playful. This next part less so. When someone approaches me and chats about the gun I almost always look at their belt and ask, "Where's yours?" I ask it completely as if carrying a gun was the most obviously needed thing the world and everybody would have one. Its a great conversational tactic and steers the discussion right to why they're not carrying. Which, of course, they should be.

I didn't OC today.

Last edited:

grylnsmn

Fun experience on Saturday:

I was running errands with the family, and we decided to stop at the Wendy's at Seven Corners for lunch. After we had mostly finished, my wife took the son to the bathroom to clean him up a little, and the daughter stayed with me. Se started flirting with a mail carrier who was at the next table, and so we got to talking. (I used one of my favorite comments to my daughter: "You aren't allowed to flirt with boys yet, beautiful. I don't have a shotgun to chase them off!")

As the mail carrier finished his meal and got up to leave, he looked at me and said "Your weapon is cocked back." I responded, "I know. It's a 1911. It's supposed to be carried like that. It's perfectly safe, and nothing to worry about." He simply responded "I just wanted to make sure you knew. Have a good day."

HPmatt

As the mail carrier finished his meal and got up to leave, he looked at me and said "Your weapon is cocked back." I responded, "I know. It's a 1911. It's supposed to be carried like that. It's perfectly safe, and nothing to worry about." He simply responded "I just wanted to make sure you knew. Have a good day."

Did he think you put on your pants (from last night) and didn't notice the 1911 on your belt? ….oh that?:uhoh: - I really forgot it was there - oh it is locked and loaded - silly me - I forgot to leave it unloaded, uncocked and back in my trunk where it would be safer…../so

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Went to grab some pollo saltado in Burke, and the guy working there asked me if I was a security guard (I'd seen him in there several times before).

Only noteworthy because it's the first time in months I've received a question or comment.

HPmatt

Went to grab some pollo saltado in Burke, and the guy working there asked me if I was a security guard (I'd seen him in there several times before).

Only noteworthy because it's the first time in months I've received a question or comment.

Maybe he knows your Avatar and wanted to see your badge....

george11c

UPS Guy

Hello all,

Had an experience I wanted to share. I was at Quantico Tactical in Woodbridge and while I was browsing, a UPS Delivery guy came in with large boxes. As he was leaving, he was conversing with who I think was the manager. I guess he saw that the employees where open carrying and started to go on about how people shouldnt be able to carry at all. The manager was just courteous and listened to what he had to say. The UPS guy just kept going on and on about how citizens who carry are simply a liability and how citizens shouldnt have the power to defend ourselves with lethal force.

At some point I thought he would leave but the conversation just made me uncomfortable to leave. The whole time, the associate (or manager I think) just listened and was nothing but courteous. I wasnt around for the end of it but glad I left because traffic was starting to build up going 95 south.

All I know is whatever my political views, I wouldn't put my job on the line and argue with one of my company's clients. It was definitely far from professional on the part of the UPS delivery person.

HPmatt

I was at Quantico Tactical in Woodbridge and while I was browsing, a UPS Delivery guy came in with large boxes. As he was leaving, he was conversing with who I think was the manager. I guess he saw that the employees where open carrying and started to go on about how people shouldnt be able to carry at all.

Has VA legalized dope and I haven't heard? Did the guy know he was delivering to a gunstore? That the freight to/from the 'gunstore' was paying his wages? Perhaps since UPS got caught w its pants down at Christmas they had to hire some old furloughed drivers that had been working over at the US Post Office. Or maybe he hasn't rotated around enough to deliver to a bad part of town.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Has VA legalized dope and I haven't heard?

Dunno, most of my friends who partake seem to have no problem with guns (this was even true in CA, where I knew quite a few). It seems that folks who've been on the receiving end of prohibition are less likely to seek it imposed on others.

Truth be told, over time I've developed the distinct impression that surprisingly few real, actual people care much about banning guns. Most anti-gun political capital is astroturf, and plays off of what is no more than mere apathy amongst the overall non-gun-owning populace.

Did the guy know he was delivering to a gunstore? That the freight to/from the 'gunstore' was paying his wages? Perhaps since UPS got caught w its pants down at Christmas they had to hire some old furloughed drivers that had been working over at the US Post Office. Or maybe he hasn't rotated around enough to deliver to a bad part of town.

Hah! Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Not to mention it's rather... unprofessional to badmouth your client's business during a delivery.

The one guy I know who works for UPS is very pro-gun.

Last edited:

george11c

Yeah, showing disrespect to a client's livelihood should seem like a great way to get fired or reprimanded. Anyway, we're I the manager there, I probably would mention something to UPS. He was delivering to a gun store, where employees handle and work on guns. Had he not been being so obnoxious and loud about his viewpoint, I probably would have engaged in the conversation but I didn't want to end up in a heated debate in a public place.

HPmatt

When he left I'd be on the phone to my Fedex ground rep ASAP to see if they could undercut UPS delivery prices/rebates. I would then call up my UPS sales rep and make them beg to keep my business, after they 'educated' their driver.

Wonder what the driver say when he delivers to a 'massage parlor', 'gay dance bar', soul food restaurant, plasma donor center, colonoscopy clinic, etc.

OngoingFreedom

When he left I'd be on the phone to my Fedex ground rep ASAP to see if they could undercut UPS delivery prices/rebates. I would then call up my UPS sales rep and make them beg to keep my business, after they 'educated' their driver.

I doubt this is the way to make friends.

I think it's kind of cool that this person, in a place he probably didnt like, and in the presence of people he strongly disagreed with, communicated his own disagreement.

Now I wasn't there and maybe he was out of line. All I'm going off of is what has been written here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I doubt this is the way to make friends.

I think it's kind of cool that this person, in a place he probably didnt like, and in the presence of people he strongly disagreed with, communicated his own disagreement.

Now I wasn't there and maybe he was out of line. All I'm going off of is what has been written here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not me. He's an idiot who's actions should be reported to his superiors and at least force a reprimand or better yet, termination. This is something you just don't do. He should have kept his mouth shut and his opinions to himself.

george11c

Not me. He's an idiot who's actions should be reported to his superiors and at least force a reprimand or better yet, termination. This is something you just don't do. He should have kept his mouth shut and his opinions to himself.

Yeah, I completely agree with the dialogue that let's people express opinions in a polite manner. However, the UPS guy wants really being polite. Also, while on the clock with a client is totally unacceptable. We're I to bad mouth one of my company's clients while conducting business with them, I would be sacked almost immediately. It's best and safest (for your job) to stay professional and courteous to clients.