• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Been OCing for 4 months on weekends and after work.
OC at Aldi, Bestway, Safeway, Sweet Frog on R1 in Hybla Valley. I also OC at Ruby Tuesday on R1, the one in Woodbridge and Kingstown. All the places I just listed went smooth, no comments or unusual looks.

Last week I ate at Fuki in Bailey's Crossroads and the chinese waitress notice my pistol when she pour water. She asked, is that a real one? I'm like, yeah, I would not carry a toy one and have my life depend on it ;) Then I explain her OC is legal in VA. She ask what if the police see you? I said most police won't say a word since they are used to.

Welcome to OCDO, I think (I only see 2 posts). The Hybla Valley area is my home stomping grounds; maybe I'll see you.

I OC'd at the Sherwood Hall Library farmers' market a few times this season. One time, the guy who works at Great Harvest made a point of asking about my watch - which I wear on my strong-side wrist - and it was quite clear he was also noting the sidearm; it seemed he was trying to convey agreement without saying anything.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
What you describe is what I whiteness most of the time I go to asian food places. They are more curious than typical americans. They will get used to when I become a regular OC at their restaurants.

Interesting note. I'm not so sure it's "more curious" but in many Asian cultures, it is polite to carry on a conversation about what we Americans would consider very personal information in order to get to know you. For women, it's often whether we're married or how many children we have, but I'd bet they'd question my firearm.

Or maybe not.

If you like Korean food, try the Kimchi House on Rte 1. I've only OC'd once in there, but got no questions at all, and I was with another member who carries a shiny 1911.

blade10

OC at On The Boarder in woodbridge. Nice dinner. We had two different groups (I assume families) near us with kids. Neither group made any comments that we heard.

Blade

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
If you like Korean food, try the Kimchi House on Rte 1. I've only OC'd once in there, but got no questions at all, and I was with another member who carries a shiny 1911.

So far, despite the infinite quantity of Korean restaurants in NoVA, I have yet to discover amazing Bibimbap in town. The best I've had is from Honey Pig, which I would categorize as "very good".

I OC all the time in Honey Pig; nary a comment yet.

Last edited:

DTOM2nd

Welcome to OCDO, I think (I only see 2 posts). The Hybla Valley area is my home stomping grounds; maybe I'll see you.

I OC'd at the Sherwood Hall Library farmers' market a few times this season. One time, the guy who works at Great Harvest made a point of asking about my watch - which I wear on my strong-side wrist - and it was quite clear he was also noting the sidearm; it seemed he was trying to convey agreement without saying anything.

Two post because I just join OC forms last week, we got to start somewhere right? ;) All senior members here once had 2 post. I got accounts on defensivecarry forums, ar15 forms, akfileforms and the S&W forums as well. I've been browsing on this forums for half a year and decided to create an account to get involve. I'm also planning on doing an OC dinner get together thing in NOVA.

I use Sherwood Hall road everyday going and coming home from work. Good to know there are more people OCing besides my self in Hybla Valley area.

DTOM2nd

Interesting note. I'm not so sure it's "more curious" but in many Asian cultures, it is polite to carry on a conversation about what we Americans would consider very personal information in order to get to know you. For women, it's often whether we're married or how many children we have, but I'd bet they'd question my firearm.

Or maybe not.

I really do like Korean food but never tried any on R1, but I'll check Kimchi House out one day. I always Annandale to eat my Korean food. I OC at Ye Chon (opens 24/7) in Annandale couple weeks ago and people didn't seem to notice. I will next OC at IIMee Buffet in Annandale sometime this month as well. It's one of my favorite Korean buffet and I go there quite often.

DTOM2nd

This weekend runs. Nothing out the ordinary or questions, all thought last weekend in Annandale a young male Korean ask me " how do you open carry?" I didn't hear this question before lol.
Yesterday OC at Trader Joes in Bailey's Crossroads and across the street Hokkaido seafood buffer.
Today OC at Kholes and Burger King in Kingstown.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Had an almost pleasant experience today - if car repairs can be pleasant ;)

Needed new brakes - badly. I took the car to Honest-1 Auto Care in the Engleside Plaza on Rte 1. Not only were they willing to tell me what could wait and what I needed now, they were clear about what needed to be done, and almost 20% less than NTB. Plus, they offered to drive me home while the work was being done, and pick me up when the car was ready. No comments at all about my sidearm, but in conversation I learned they support the athletic teams at Mt Vernon High School by sponsoring fundraisers for them, and by donating 10% of labor costs when someone mentions they have a student on the team.

I had one fellow customer ask if I was law enforcement, though she showed no further curiosity after I said no, just an ordinary citizen.

blade10

OC Saturday at Uncle Julios. Sunday at Petco.

Only the fish were afraid, and that's because a nice lady was chasing then with a net.

Blade

blahpony

There's a new pizza place in the strip mall by my house. Pizarella's. I've OCed in there a few times since they opened. No one said anything. It's not surprising because I think the person who opened that place also opened the Coney Island Diner. Some people may know that place from the OCDO Sunday breakfasts.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There's a new pizza place in the strip mall by my house. Pizarella's. I've OCed in there a few times since they opened. No one said anything. It's not surprising because I think the person who opened that place also opened the Coney Island Diner. Some people may know that place from the OCDO Sunday breakfasts.
Also frequent location for after Annandale VCDL meetings.

BillHoo

Went for walk around neighborhood- no problems

I was changing the batteries on the biometric gun safe on my nightstand and decided to open carry last night. Took out my Phoenix HP .22 with 5 inch barrel and extended magazine.

Wore a bright orange fleece jacket with black shoulder holster over it. My wife didn't even notice till we got home.

Just did a stroll around several blocks in Vienna off Park street. Maybe one car slowed down as it passed, or maybe just my imagination. A cop car passed, but did not slow down.

Over a year ago, my wife and I were walking there when I wasn't OC'ing and two dudes came across the street and were walking very close behind us in a less than well lit part of the neighborhood. We picked up our pace. They picked up pace. We sped up some more, they sped up some more.

Soon we were race-walking. I told my wife if anything happened to run to the nearest house with lights and bang on the door, I would grab a garbage can or something to clobber them.

Eventually they slowed down and turned down a side street.

This recent night, we only encountered a dog-walker.

Arma1911

Texas de Brazil - Fairfax

Great dining experience. I walked to the large salad bar area 3 or 4 times during this particular outing. Happy to report that I had no problems whatsoever; and the place was packed.

ChristCrusader

Open carried during the Justice for John Geer rally outside of the Massey building and the Fairfax County Courthouse for a couple of hours in the freezing cold.
The police captain overseeing the rally exchanged some friendly gun talk. After one exchange, as I walked away from the captain, I overheard a concerned, little, foreign looking fellow with a heavy accent ask the captain why people were carrying firearms, and the captain said because it was their right to do so :banana:

Old Virginia Joe

Lots of folks from China, Japan, and other parts of that part of the world are truely fascinated with guns and the notion that someone who is not the police can even have a gun, let alone carry one. Some of the bolder have played with airsoft guns, but that's usually a very controlled setting with carnival-like targets.

The staff at my regular Chnese food dinner place have gotten so used to seeing me carrying, to the point that they a) noticed the time I was carrying something other than my "regular" gun (yes, they wanted to know if that one was also real), and b) were concerned the night I came in not OCing - they wanted to know if my gun had been taken away. (I went by for lunch the next day to show them I still had my gun. :D )

stay safe.

Man, can't you see they are playing you like a fiddle!?

JohnM15A

Brix Woodbridge

Had lunch at Brix today. I eat there probably once a week. A while back a new server asked me if I had an open carry permit. So the schooling began and another server came over and got schooled. They both got VCDL cards and a lesson for the day.

Today the manager came over and asked if I was Prince William County. I said that I lived in PWC. So he said PWC police. I said no and then talked about how they are always in there especially the plain clothed detectives. Never had a problem with PWC police and wave at them whenever I see them... I think the big change is my current EDC is a bit more flashy than before, they probably have not noticed before.

Here is the snipit: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13355828/Gun/REC001edited.wav