• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVA (Northern Virginia) - OC reports

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
This is the first posting in this thread since late June, and I suspect I know why...

There is nothing to report. We carry openly and regularly to a wide variety of locations in NoVA and no one notices or objects. This weekend I openly carried into Harris-Teeter, Giant Food, Alexandria Pastry, and several other well-populated locations -- including Starbucks -- and there was absolutely no reaction either positively or negatively from anyone.

It would behoove us to continue to list where we openly carry and note whatever reactions -- or none -- that we experience. Negative contacts are instructional, and positive or no reactions are confidence building for those new to open carry.

blade10

James, I agree. It seems though that when I report where I carry it is just a broken record - I'm really a frequent flyer of the same stores over and over. Walmart, best buy, hhgregg, price rite, food Lion, wegmans, advance auto parts, etc.

Is it worth repeating those on an almost daily basis?

Blade

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is the first posting in this thread since late June, and I suspect I know why...

There is nothing to report. We carry openly and regularly to a wide variety of locations in NoVA and no one notices or objects. This weekend I openly carried into Harris-Teeter, Giant Food, Alexandria Pastry, and several other well-populated locations -- including Starbucks -- and there was absolutely no reaction either positively or negatively from anyone.

It would behoove us to continue to list where we openly carry and note whatever reactions -- or none -- that we experience. Negative contacts are instructional, and positive or no reactions are confidence building for those new to open carry.

James, I agree. It seems though that when I report where I carry it is just a broken record - I'm really a frequent flyer of the same stores over and over. Walmart, best buy, hhgregg, price rite, food Lion, wegmans, advance auto parts, etc.

Is it worth repeating those on an almost daily basis?

Blade
That is what normalizing OC as we go about our everyday routines is all about.

It is the unusual that gets the attention. We work at setting and maintaining a responsible standard, and it is that which the antis wish to disrupt. Keep posting!

Jamie

Ayup

Agreed. Over the past few weeks I've carried openly all over Manassas with no comments from anyone. It's possible there were some reactions and I just wasn't paying attention what with four kids in tow and all. But overall I'd say this here state is coming along nicely. :)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Well, I spent the summer in NoVA, so I have a few.

While shopping in the Burke WalMart I had a soccer-mom-looking woman ask me, somewhat surprisedly, if Virginia was an OC state. I said, "of course!" and that was the end of it. Dunno if she's an anti.

I also had a good conversation with the dudes in the Peruvian chicken place there. Towards the end of it, I was stating my preference for individual responsibility for self-defense over more laws, more cops, and more taxes, when I noticed the other (Peruvian?) customer waiting for his food giving me a "thumbs up".

I had a cute (but too young) girl in my town's pub immediately gush over my floral-carved holster ("It's beautiful!") upon my stepping up to the counter.

Also, I was hiking (at a brisk pace) in one of our Regional Parks when I passed a group of three young folks (two guys and a gal) idly fishing. After I passed, one of them called out his appreciation for my floral-carved holster, and when I stopped to respond (I was already a good distance away) the group beckoned me back so they could get a closer look. They each seemed to dig it.

I had a Safeway employee pat my shoulder as he passed (yes, I knew he was there) and say, "I'm glad to see someone understands the right to bear arms!". I had another positive reaction that same day, but I don't recall the details.

But yeah, now any normalization effect is just maintenance. The vast majority of the time, nobody even reacts – as it should be.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
All the 'normal' places in NoVA -- Harris Teeter, Giant, Total Wine, and some new ones: Power Marble in Chantilly, The Tile Store in Springfield and Ferguson's in the Edsall area (off Van Dorn). No negative comments, but I did notice a couple of nervous eye flicks down to my hip and back again. Being a customer who is spending lots of money tends to prevent any comments that could kill a sale...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
All the 'normal' places in NoVA -- Harris Teeter, Giant, Total Wine, and some new ones: Power Marble in Chantilly, The Tile Store in Springfield and Ferguson's in the Edsall area (off Van Dorn). No negative comments, but I did notice a couple of nervous eye flicks down to my hip and back again. Being a customer who is spending lots of money tends to prevent any comments that could kill a sale...

Being known as good tippers is a standard method for many here at local eateries.

t11spanner

Stopped in at 1st Sleep Diagnostic on 29 in Centerville to question a bill sent for services rendered 1.5 years ago, and to get a new mask (have lost 145lbs since study done) and they were "deer in headlights" until I smiled and told them what I needed. They sent two billing clerks to talk to me, guess they may have been a little on guard (because most want to argue their bills). They answered all my questions and I then waited for a tech to fit me for a new mask.

By the end of the visit, there were no more "deer in the headlights" and I thanked each person that assisted me.

I would count that as a good encounter!

Carl

blahpony

I went to a local BBQ place (Q Company). Then I hit the LGS. Then I hit the liquor store. Then the local 7-11. I think I surprised a guy sitting out in front of the 7-11. He was talking to his friend and when I passed, I think he saw the CZ. Mid sentence he said "oh f**k". I just kept walking in, grabbed some beer and joked with the clerk about the heat.

So, basically, a Friday. :cool:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
I went to a local BBQ place (Q Company). Then I hit the LGS. Then I hit the liquor store. Then the local 7-11. I think I surprised a guy sitting out in front of the 7-11. He was talking to his friend and when I passed, I think he saw the CZ. Mid sentence he said "oh f**k". I just kept walking in, grabbed some beer and joked with the clerk about the heat.

So, basically, a Friday. :cool:

Similar experience a while back: Wife and I walking up the the Lowe's entrance on Rt. 1, guy sitting outside having a smoke saw the Sig, raised his hands and said, loudly, "I didn't do it." I smiled, said "Good!" and kept walking. There seems to be a group of people who cannot keep from making inane utterances, perhaps due to nervousness.

homestar

Ate at the Cajun Experience in Leesburg tonight. Tasty food and 10 percent discount for carrying. That's their Wednesday deal.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Interesting morning. OC'd at Country Squire Cleaners, Whole Foods, Starbucks, Giant Food and Harris-Teeter, all without comment or :eek:.

When we arrived back home, I noticed three Alexandria Police talking with one of our condo neighbors. Being a member of the Condo Board, I walked over to see if there was anything that would be of concern to the Condo (such as a theft or vandalism occurring in our secure garage). As it turns out, she had been involved in a minor accident and the police were there to gather more information. As I walked up and identified myself as a Board member, the lead officer saw the NRA Instructor patches on my jacket and gave me a big thumbs up, saying he was a big fan. He then noticed my Sig and asked if it was a P239. I verified that and remarked that he had a good "eye." We talked for a few minutes about various Sig models that he had owned. All in all a very pleasant conversation. I had no hesitation in walking up to three LEOs while openly carrying and they had absolutely no problem with my OC -- just as it should be.

blade10

OC in tmobile of Woodbridge trying to get a phone for the daughter. The worst look there came from my daughter - the phone they told us was in stock (ironically, over the phone) was not to be had, nor did they have my daughter's the next choice. The 15-20 people there had no evil glances, no mention at all, and no comments from the employees (other than the repeated apologies regarding the mix up. )

Also OC at the price rite grocery store. A few glances, but no comments.

Blade

Eeyore

Mmwag

Stopped in at 1st Sleep Diagnostic on 29 in Centerville to question a bill sent for services rendered 1.5 years ago, and to get a new mask (have lost 145lbs since study done) and they were "deer in headlights" until I smiled and told them what I needed. They sent two billing clerks to talk to me, guess they may have been a little on guard (because most want to argue their bills). They answered all my questions and I then waited for a tech to fit me for a new mask.

By the end of the visit, there were no more "deer in the headlights" and I thanked each person that assisted me.

I would count that as a good encounter!

Carl

Masked man with a gun! No wonder they were nervous! ;-) Unless you're the Lone Ranger....

DTOM2nd

Been OCing for 4 months on weekends and after work.
OC at Aldi, Bestway, Safeway, Sweet Frog on R1 in Hybla Valley. I also OC at Ruby Tuesday on R1, the one in Woodbridge and Kingstown. All the places I just listed went smooth, no comments or unusual looks.

Last week I ate at Fuki in Bailey's Crossroads and the chinese waitress notice my pistol when she pour water. She asked, is that a real one? I'm like, yeah, I would not carry a toy one and have my life depend on it ;) Then I explain her OC is legal in VA. She ask what if the police see you? I said most police won't say a word since they are used to.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Lots of folks from China, Japan, and other parts of that part of the world are truely fascinated with guns and the notion that someone who is not the police can even have a gun, let alone carry one. Some of the bolder have played with airsoft guns, but that's usually a very controlled setting with carnival-like targets.

The staff at my regular Chnese food dinner place have gotten so used to seeing me carrying, to the point that they a) noticed the time I was carrying something other than my "regular" gun (yes, they wanted to know if that one was also real), and b) were concerned the night I came in not OCing - they wanted to know if my gun had been taken away. (I went by for lunch the next day to show them I still had my gun. :D )

stay safe.

DTOM2nd

Lots of folks from China, Japan, and other parts of that part of the world are truely fascinated with guns and the notion that someone who is not the police can even have a gun, let alone carry one. Some of the bolder have played with airsoft guns, but that's usually a very controlled setting with carnival-like targets.

The staff at my regular Chnese food dinner place have gotten so used to seeing me carrying, to the point that they a) noticed the time I was carrying something other than my "regular" gun (yes, they wanted to know if that one was also real), and b) were concerned the night I came in not OCing - they wanted to know if my gun had been taken away. (I went by for lunch the next day to show them I still had my gun. :D )

stay safe.

What you describe is what I whiteness most of the time I go to asian food places. They are more curious than typical americans. They will get used to when I become a regular OC at their restaurants.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What you describe is what I whiteness most of the time I go to asian food places. They are more curious than typical americans. They will get used to when I become a regular OC at their restaurants.

Welcome to OCDO. Pull up a spot and make yourself at home.

Attend the events happening in NoVa so you get to know folks.

stay safe.