• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Appearance

wrightme

We have had our differences on another thread, but on this we see eye to eye. I do believe you are wasting your time. It is unfortunate that on a site that celebrates freedom that snobbery/bullyism/ and general all around close minded junior high school attitude exists. I mean we are all supposed to be adults and act like an adult when it comes to weapons. I could care less how one dresses OCing, IMO it horrendous that others wish to impose a dress code on others. I also hate the we have a club and you can't play unless you join attitude. The whole start of the thread was a farce to begin with. The OP asked question and then chastised two members for not giving the answer that he expected, or wanted. In other forums we call that a person who drags bait behind a boat while fishing.

If you ask a question be adult enough to listen to all the answers. If one wants to be perceived as a rational adult then act like one. Remember the golden rule, you will be treated as you treat others. In general I am really surprised at the rudeness that exists on these boards, though I should not be, it seems be be common in internet land. I guess it is that I don't have to face the person I am taunting. I call that being a coward. Cowards with guns are dangerous. Not the impression we want to give the liberals that do read this forum.

So, you care about how others view us by our internet posts?

There you go telling people what to do again! What is up with that? For the record I am a pretty civil and even some consider liberal guy, but I will not stand for being told what to do or what to think.
WHO HERE has attempted to tell you what to do or think?
WalkingWolf said:
Ya know this is really the problem with perception of OCers, not how we dress but that they perceive us as wacko(Obsessive Compulsive) or controlling. FYI it is our attitude more than anything that affects us, and unfortunately a snapshot of us labels the rest of us.
So, how people perceive us can be based upon how we appear in the internet, but you don't care about how people perceive us based upon actual FTF interaction?

WalkingWolf

So, you care about how others view us by our internet posts?

WHO HERE has attempted to tell you what to do or think?
So, how people perceive us can be based upon how we appear in the internet, but you don't care about how people perceive us based upon actual FTF interaction?

NO I simply made a observation that we all are judged by others, and not necessarily in our own niche. It is a fact that this thread can be read by any non member. It is a fact that this thread comes up in almost any search that is gun related. This is reasonable to think that people that form opinions would form them on the basis of this thread and how we interact. Do I live my life by that, hell no. I live it by my standards as I think most of us should. But I am not the one whining about how normalizing OC or how we or I am judged. I am just pointing to the fallacy of the thought that we can control the thoughts of others by our dress. IMO people with fears of guns have fears of guns. Nothing will alleviate that, those with good sound principle and have solid mental health could care less about others. For the record walking in wallmart to me does not say a face to face, talking to someone directly would be face to face. To me another shopper is just that, another shopper, I don't worry about them do you?

wrightme

NO I simply made a observation that we all are judged by others, and not necessarily in our own niche.
The same thing applies in public.
WalkingWolf said:
It is a fact that this thread can be read by any non member. It is a fact that this thread comes up in almost any search that is gun related. This is reasonable to think that people that form opinions would form them on the basis of this thread and how we interact.
Yes. And, every day you leave your property armed, other people can view you and form an opinion; based upon your appearance. THAT is what I recognize as reality. How each person chooses to use that information is a decision for only them to make.

WalkingWolf said:
Do I live my life by that, hell no.
Given your attitudes towards me and others in this topic, I agree you sure do not live your life by that. :rolleyes:
WalkingWolf said:
I live it by my standards as I think most of us should.
Very good, we agree.

WalkingWolf said:
But I am not the one whining about how normalizing OC or how we or I am judged.
Pointing out a reality has nothing to do with 'whining.'
WalkingWolf said:
I am just pointing to the fallacy of the thought that we can control the thoughts of others by our dress.
It isn't a fallacy. When others judge us by how we appear or act, as you recognize for internet forum posts, we CAN alter how others react by being aware of this and making choices.

WalkingWolf said:
IMO people with fears of guns have fears of guns.
Do they also fear guns when it is at the waist of an LE?
WalkingWolf said:
Nothing will alleviate that, those with good sound principle and have solid mental health could care less about others. For the record walking in wallmart to me does not say a face to face, talking to someone directly would be face to face. To me another shopper is just that, another shopper, I don't worry about them do you?
Do you live in condition white?

I don't "worry" about them. I do remain aware of them. Don't you keep aware of your surroundings and those in them?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

You really do like to argue don't you? Is it the perceptions or are you just bored? I think by now you and I have been over it enough to know we will not agree on this. Heck I doubt anybody could agree with you on the time of day. I agree to disagree and leave it at that, feel free to join me, or just keep at it.

wrightme

You really do like to argue don't you?
Not really, and that isn't it at all.
You, Kingfish, and HH all tried to paint me as "dress like I say or don't play." That was false. Do you stand quietly if others misrepresent your position about something?
WalkingWolf said:
Is it the perceptions or are you just bored? I think by now you and I have been over it enough to know we will not agree on this.
What part do we not agree on?
It seems we both understand that others WILL judge us based upon how we appear or act, as you stated about the internet forums, and as I stated about public appearance. How is that "not agreeing?"
WalkingWolf said:
Heck I doubt anybody could agree with you on the time of day. I agree to disagree and leave it at that, feel free to join me, or just keep at it.
It is easy to agree with me, or for me to agree with others. As you should be able to tell, I have agreed with several posters in this thread. I have also disagreed with several posters in this thread. But, do NOT expect me to agree with something someone says, simply to seem agreeable.
Now, why do you choose to make this personal, as opposed to about the topic of the thread?

You recognize that others do judge people based upon appearance or action? You did mention how others perceive us due to how we post on the internet, correct? Doesn't that also apply to how others perceive us in public?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive–compulsive_disorder

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing the associated anxiety, or by a combination of such obsessions and compulsions. Symptoms of the disorder include excessive washing or cleaning; repeated checking; extreme hoarding; preoccupation with sexual, violent or religious thoughts; aversion to particular numbers; and nervous rituals, such as opening and closing a door a certain number of times before entering or leaving a room. These symptoms can be alienating and time-consuming, and often cause severe emotional and financial distress. The acts of those who have OCD may appear paranoid and potentially psychotic. However, OCD sufferers generally recognize their obsessions and compulsions as irrational, and may become further distressed by this realization.

OCD is the fourth most common mental disorder, and is diagnosed nearly as often as asthma and diabetes mellitus.[1] In the United States, one in 50 adults suffers from OCD.[2] Obsessive–compulsive disorder affects children and adolescents as well as adults. Roughly one third to one half of adults with OCD report a childhood onset of the disorder, suggesting the continuum of anxiety disorders across the life span.[3] The phrase "obsessive–compulsive" has become part of the English lexicon, and is often used in an informal or caricatured manner to describe someone who is excessively meticulous, perfectionistic, absorbed, or otherwise fixated.[4] Although these signs are present in OCD, a person who exhibits them does not necessarily have OCD, and may instead have obsessive–compulsive personality disorder (OCPD), an autism spectrum disorder, or no clinical condition. Multiple psychological and biological factors may be involved in causing obsessive–compulsive syndromes. Standardized rating scales such as Yale–Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale can be used to assess the severity of OCD symptoms.[5]

wrightme

Let us put the whole paragraph out there.

If you ask a question be adult enough to listen to all the answers. If one wants to be perceived as a rational adult then act like one. Remember the golden rule, you will be treated as you treat others. In general I am really surprised at the rudeness that exists on these boards, though I should not be, it seems be be common in internet land. I guess it is that I don't have to face the person I am taunting. I call that being a coward. Cowards with guns are dangerous. Not the impression we want to give the liberals that do read this forum.

And this advice was to the OP who ASKED A QUESTION, and then insulted two members who answered. The advice was warranted, and was not intent on controlling the lifestyle of another member. It also was not intended to tell him how to think as yours clearly was, he like all of us can think as he pleases. He can even post questions and then insult members as he pleases, but members can point to the rudeness of it though as they please.

But it has been amusing to see the attempts at mind control. How has that worked out for ya?

Yet you persist in labeling the opinion opposite of yours as attempts to control? Why? Is yours the only useful opinion?

I presented my opinion, and it was not intent on controlling the lifestyle of another member.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
What's all this fuss about appearance when you OC?
What does it matter?
Dress decent, and folks won't mind if you're armed.
We don't need no stinkin' dress code, that's what Bubba says!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

Howdy Folks!
What's all this fuss about appearance when you OC?
What does it matter?
Dress decent, and folks won't mind if you're armed.
We don't need no stinkin' dress code, that's what Bubba says!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Great pic! Hope it helps to shut these guys up! This is getting out of hand!

Now, I'm pretty peeved my forum was hijacked!

Spent my day hiking and shooting today up in the NF! BTW, I dressed decent today, just Timberland pants and a golf shirt, I encountered 5 other folks armed and they wore shorts or jeans with t-shirts. Really, I didn't give a crap to what they wore, as they were friendly folks too! I got to hold 2 of the guys unloaded firearms, which was 2 .12 Ga shotguns, an XD compact .40, a weird Hi-Point .40 rifle. They asked me if they could check out my sidearm, I said no, as it's holstered, loaded and chambered. Sadly, these guys didn't understand the rules of NF shooting as they set up their target against a tree 50 yards upslope!

Keens

[video=youtube;112VpXHe6F8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=112VpXHe6F8&feature=related[/video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=112VpXHe6F8&feature=related

I thought this was an interesting twist, yes a open carrying citizen kicked out of coffee shop for his appearance. :banana:

What a stupid video! BTW, I would appreciate if you stay off my post from now on! I'm about ready to let the Mod/Admin to delete my thread! You are embarrassing yourselves, WW and Kingfish! The only peope you are alienating is YOURSELVES!

Kingfish

Yes, I did use the word "fear." Hoplophobia IS a "fear."
If we really are talking about a phobia then no amount of dressing to impress will allay that fear. Might as well just go about your NORMAL life and not worry about others. Nothing you can do for them...Unless you are a mental health professional.

WalkingWolf

If we really are talking about a phobia then no amount of dressing to impress will allay that fear. Might as well just go about your NORMAL life and not worry about others. Nothing you can do for them...Unless you are a mental health professional.

Correct the phobia object is a gun, nothing is going to change that. Now some people have a fear of nuts with a gun, which I gotta be honest I am starting to understand them the more I read.

Kingfish

I love how our Colorado folks tend to get along. Then comes somebody from out of state,
perhaps having worn out their welcome on their own state board, so they show up here.
Hold on there sir. Are you saying that because I CURRENTLY reside a couple thousand miles away that I have no right to participate in Colorado specific issues? Why don't you contact Mike or John and see if they will lock the state forums to verified state residence only. Maybe only those with Colorado listed on their birth certificate? You see MT, I LOVE Colorado. My SO and I were just talking this weekend while we were pitching our tent beside the lake that we can't wait to move to Colorado. We both had wanted to move to Colorado before we even met. We think it will be a great place to raise our kids (blended family.) I have been in love with Colorado for a long time. Colorado is my home, I just have not made it there yet.

Kingfish

BTW, I would appreciate if you stay off my post from now on!
Sorry bud, that is not your call to make. This is not your house. This is Mike and John's house. THEY make the rules. You do not get to choose who gets to post on this site.

I'm about ready to let the Mod/Admin to delete my thread!
That is a dandy idea. Good luck with that though.

You are embarrassing yourselves, WW and Kingfish! The only peope you are alienating is YOURSELVES!
If you care to take a look at my posting history I think you will learn something about me. I am an advocate of absolute personal liberty and personal responsibility. I abhor stateism, in whatever fashion. I will promote individualism AND cooperation. You will not tell me how to dress, look, act, think, or talk. You will not get to choose who I associate with, how I raise my children, what kind of firearm I carry or what I drive. You will control NO aspect of my life.