• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Appearance

wrightme

Indeed, how we carry ourselves is a part of "appearance." Hence, why I stressed the portion of appearance I believe is important and distinguished it from what I believe is irrelevant. However, I'm not polite because I care about the opinions of others. I'm polite because that's how I was raised. I treat everyone well, until they've given me a reason to cease doing so. Anyone who doesn't like the way that I comport myself, whether in attitude or apparel, is perfectly welcome to take a long walk off a short pier. :p

My point was that what we, as LAC's, do will likely have a longer lasting impact than how we look, so let's not sweat the small stuff, eh?
The only ones "sweating the small stuff" are those who think someone is telling them how to dress.

I agree with your position, to a point. The only ones who see how polite you are, are those you directly interact with, or who are in close proximity to you when you do interact with others. Your physical appearance is seen by everyone who has a direct view of you. I choose to pay attention to how I look, as well as to how I act.

Polynikes

The only ones "sweating the small stuff" are those who think someone is telling them how to dress.

I agree with your position, to a point. The only ones who see how polite you are, are those you directly interact with, or who are in close proximity to you when you do interact with others. Your physical appearance is seen by everyone who has a direct view of you. I choose to pay attention to how I look, as well as to how I act.

...and of course there is nothing wrong with keeping a neat appearance. It's when other people attempt to define what that "appearance" is to them personally and then apply their same standard to everyone else that we encounter problems.

However, anyone with a direct view of me can see me smiling, or walking with my arm wrapped around my wife's waist or bending down to hug my child and help them with a toy they're having problems with. Strangers will be able to see those actions long before they can determine if there are any stains on my shirt or if my jeans are fraying, or if I shaved this morning.

wrightme

...and of course there is nothing wrong with keeping a neat appearance. It's when other people attempt to define what that "appearance" is to them personally and then apply their same standard to everyone else that we encounter problems.
By the way, you just described what other people do. you know, those other people who judge people based upon how they appear.......

Polynikes said:
However, anyone with a direct view of me can see me smiling, or walking with my arm wrapped around my wife's waist or bending down to hug my child and help them with a toy they're having problems with. Strangers will be able to see those actions long before they can determine if there are any stains on my shirt or if my jeans are fraying, or if I shaved this morning.
I can't recall the last time I shaved. When I CHOOSE, I simply set the clippers to about 1/8" and go at it until stuff stops falling in the sink.

My typical dress out in town is blue jeans, usually at least no holes, and either a t-shirt or short sleeve button or pullover in summer, or a flannel in winter. Without being nuts about it, I do tend to have at least clean clothes on.

With that said, I DO believe that how I dress will alter the view others have of me. I also know that where I live, no matter how I dress, the chance of being on the receiving end of a "MWAG" call is slim. So, I present the public impression I choose (or not) based upon the information available.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Am I to carry 7 sets of cloths in the car to dress for any occasion I might find myself in?

Straw man fallacy, to an absurd extreme.

With that said, I DO believe that how I dress will alter the view others have of me. I also know that where I live, no matter how I dress, the chance of being on the receiving end of a "MWAG" call is slim. So, I present the public impression I choose (or not) based upon the information available.

Fair enough! As has been said, "if the natives rub blue mud in their navels..."

HandyHamlet

Fair enough! As has been said, "if the natives rub blue mud in their navels..."

Speaking of navels...

We're the best kind of Sneetch on the beaches!

:banghead:

[video=youtube;v3yJomUhs0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3yJomUhs0g[/video]

Last edited:

The Doctor

OC apperance

I open carry my S&W .357 highway patrolman while wearing my Kilt...it's my more modern Claidheamh mòr! (Claymore)

Doc.