• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Dinner in Reston Champps - Meet OpenCarry.org Lori!

Glock27Bill

imported post

EFB16ACRX wrote:
eh, i sat at a table with some new guys that didnt seem to talk much, and they were drinking beer, which is not what is needed at these events.

1-Were those the three guys, with one who was not carrying?

2-Great time! Thanks for setting up another event, Ed.

nova

imported post

EFB16ACRX wrote:
eh, i sat at a table with some new guys that didnt seem to talk much, and they were drinking beer, which is not what is needed at these events.
I noticed too and I agree.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Really, really sorry that I had to defer and miss the chance to personally thank Lori for all of her help. We were well represented though. Good show!

Yata hey

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nova wrote:
EFB16ACRX wrote:
eh,  i sat at a table with some new guys that didnt seem to talk much, and they were drinking beer, which is not what is needed at these events.
I noticed too and I agree.

Hmm, I didn't notice this. My table was "teetotaling" tonight! Good conversation, too.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

EFB16ACRX wrote:
If I would have seen it or been aware of it, I would have asked them not to. I don't think it helps our cause and I think it is inappropriate. If they want to express their rights in that fashion I would appreciate them not doing it at an event/dinner that I set up.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ed wrote:
EFB16ACRX wrote:
If I would have seen it or been aware of it, I would have asked them not to. I don't think it helps our cause and I think it is inappropriate. If they want to express their rights in that fashion I would appreciate them not doing it at an event/dinner that I set up.
These guys were VERY new - I'm not sure any of them even have joined the forum yet. They learned about the event at the NRA range on Saturday.

Nakedshoplifter explained to them the expectations. They just didn't know our culture.

I spoke to the three of them. One was not carrying; the other had owned his pistol for only a few days. I welcomed them, spoke a little about what we're doing with these meetups, etc. I know nakedshoplifter did too as he ate with them. I hope they'll become regulars and help, not hurt.

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

texasLori01.jpg

texasLori02.jpg

texasLori03.jpg

texasLori04.jpg

Was good to meet everyone.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Hokie wrote:
Is that you sitting next to Lori? What an uncanny resemblance you have to your userpic if so :^).

The girl next to Lori is Lori's good friend Paula from Alexandria, VA. (Paula is who Lori and Dave came to visit and was also their maid of honor).

Ed

EFB16ACRX

imported post

Tess wrote:
ed wrote:
EFB16ACRX wrote:
These guys were VERY new - I'm not sure any of them even have joined the forum yet. They learned about the event at the NRA range on Saturday.

Nakedshoplifter explained to them the expectations. They just didn't know our culture.

I spoke to the three of them. One was not carrying; the other had owned his pistol for only a few days. I welcomed them, spoke a little about what we're doing with these meetups, etc. I know nakedshoplifter did too as he ate with them. I hope they'll become regulars and help, not hurt.
not sure who he is but he talked to him. they seemed like they were new. i just left it alone and left early. meh.

EFB16ACRX

imported post

Tess wrote:
ed wrote:
EFB16ACRX wrote:

not sure who he is but he talked to him. they seemed like they were new. i just left it alone and left early. meh.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

One can respond to an e-vite without registering, but apparently uploading (and viewing?) photos is limited to registrants.

If you post photos outside this forum, please use an open site.

Thanks
Tess

Neplusultra

imported post

Hokie wrote:
Nope not me. My user pic is Ellen Muth http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0616091/

(Ellen shoots buy the way).
Yes, I knew who your userpic was (we went through this awhile back), I was just hoping to get a pic of you yourself. But society being what it is I understand if you wouldn't want to, of course you do carry a gun and should therefore have no fear? :^).

I hate to say it but you are in a male dominated area. Some may say that we should act differently to attract the "weaker" sex, eh, I don't know. They (women) can join if they want, I'm not sure if special consideration should be made. After all self-protection is an issue of "extreme" self-assertion. So if one (male or female) is not willing to assert themselves, or to expose themselves to risk, then can they really be a part of the "movement"?

Just a thought.

Neplusultra

imported post

ed wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Hokie wrote:
Is that you sitting next to Lori? What an uncanny resemblance you have to your userpic if so :^).

The girl next to Lori is Lori's good friend Paula from Alexandria, VA. (Paula is who Lori and Dave came to visit and was also their maid of honor).

Ed
I won't even comment further. It reminds me of so many things from so many years ago :^). The saying is so true, if I only knew then what I know now.....

One of the things I like about Oleg is that he takes what I would call average beauties and really brings out their true beauty to the front to show everyone how beautiful they really are. I'm not sure why Oleg seems to not like me, he does such good work :^). Of course not all of it is good, actually some of his photos just plain suck :^).

Neplusultra

imported post

ed wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Hokie wrote:

Ed
One other observation Ed, Paula, I perceive is used to male attention but not so used to males carrying guns, although Lori seems to be cool laid back with that :^)! As perhaps expressed by Paula's facial expression in Hokie's one photo. Of course you can't read too much into one photo especially since I don't know what the context of that photo was, but still, then again I could be wrong :^).

I'm so sorry I missed the meeting. I don't recognize anyone except Tess, and of course Naked (no photo). It would be great to meet people. I am the "only" one around here that OCs. BTW, DooD, you have way too much disposable income :^). I haven't ridden a trike, backwards or forwards, since I was 6!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Yes, I knew who your userpic was (we went through this awhile back), I was just hoping to get a pic of you yourself. But society being what it is I understand if you wouldn't want to, of course you do carry a gun and should therefore have no fear? :^).

I hate to say it but you are in a male dominated area. Some may say that we should act differently to attract the "weaker" sex, eh, I don't know. They (women) can join if they want, I'm not sure if special consideration should be made. After all self-protection is an issue of "extreme" self-assertion. So if one (male or female) is not willing to assert themselves, or to expose themselves to risk, then can they really be a part of the "movement"?

Just a thought.
I actually would not recommend that anyone use an actual photograph of themselves on a public forum - I personally would not do so even on a small private, membersip exclusive one. That said, there are plenty of other opportunities to ID someone through the visual displays which we submit. Sometimes the userpic/avatar affords us the chance to deliver a subjunctive message - example: would you care to be down range of mine? :) BTW - I like yours as you do sometimes respond on "full auto."

Women are unquestionable different (Viva La Differiance) but weaker? Maybe they are not physically stronger but other attributes more than offset that condition. OCDO and other sites have their Joan of Arcs, Cornered Cats and Lori(s). Besides didn't Col. Sam Colt make all men (generic) equal in that respect? JMB made them more equal.

I see men as being more demonstrative and vocal, more visibly active in most cases - there are noteble exceptions though. Any level of support for the 2nd Amend, OCDO, self defense et al is acknowledged as to its benefit. A wife or gf that does not carry is supporting our movement when she attends an OC dinner.

We have our those true believers, those willing to take the hit for us all with cast iron, rigid backbones - Danibus and Mtn Man come to mind. We also have Mike, John, Rich and Philip who work endlessly to perfect our position. Yet without the foot soldiers, clerks, cooks,, drivers and believers at home, the movement would falter.

The attitude and condition, preparedness for self-defense, will hopefully not be viewed one day as an issue of extreme self-assertion. but a normal, acceptable, intelligent non-event. Isn't that part of for what we are working?

Believing in and supporting 2A is good. Participation in OCDO and membership in VCDL is great. A female OCing something beginning with a 4 on W. Broad St. is priiiceless !!

Yata hey