• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Alexandria, VA

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks, XDOwner. I appreciate it.

What galls me even more than the inanity of the law is that there is no way on the gods' green earth I could have known. I live within walking distance of Mt Vernon, which is PRIVATELY owned and operated, and had no clue the Parkway was considered NPS land.

And therefore, the jogger who was attacked at gunpoint last year (and killed, IIRC), was somehow safe?

Tess

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well hopefully Allen will make good on his promise and introduce a bill next week to repeal the NPS ban. That should act as a little bit of Drano on the DOI clog.

XD Owner

imported post

Springfield Mall Nov. 9, no problems in JC Penney or Food Court.

I'm now back in Kuwait. When I go to thegun range out here (http://www.nrckuwait.com/english/services.html), I'll post my experience. It is probably the only place in Kuwait I can open carry, unless one of the soldiers or airmen at Ali Al-Salem Air Base lets me pose with one of their M16s.

Best wishes to all OCDO members from Kuwait.

XD Owner

imported post

Anyone have any information onSentiger, et. al. vs. Lawson, a lawsuit filed in the City of Alexandria Circuit Court on July 23rd [unknown year]?

Per the Gun Owners Foundation website, http://www.gunowners.com/vcdl.htm,

" City of Alexandria Sued over Illegal Gun Ban Regulation

The Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc., in cooperation with Gun Owners Foundation, has filed suit against the City of Alexandria for an illegal Administrative Regulation that bans possession of firearms at City worksites. The Regulation is contrary to a Virginia state law that prohibits localities from restricting guns.

The complaint (Sentiger, et. al. vs. Lawson) was filed in the City of Alexandria Circuit Court on July 23rd. The suit is directed against an addendum to Administrative Regulation 7-21, dated January 25, 1995 and signed by City Manager, Vola Lawson. The regulation prohibits the "possession... of a deadly weapon, including all firearms... at City worksites and in City vehicles."

Fairfax County attempted to circumvent state law last year by passing a similar regulation. It was successfully overturned in Fairfax County Circuit Court in December of 1997 (Finnell, et. al. vs. O'Neill). GOF and VCDL are determined to ensure compliance in all local jurisdictions throughout the Commonwealth.

Leo Sentiger and three other Alexandria residents will serve as plaintiffs in the case. All hold valid Virginia concealed handgun permits. "

Just wondering if anyone knows about this case and the outcome, if any. Thank you.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I believe that this was a VCDL backed lawsuit that actually failed at the trial court level:cuss:, but was later over-turned by a strengthened preemption statute:lol:, but the statute set out an explicit power of localities to ban employee gun carry:cry:.