• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

wrightme

Adding some OC events/locations, no issues:

Jazz - Sparks
Best Buy - Sparks
Jack In The Box - Fallon. Young kid at the cash register saw my FNP .40 as asked if I was a cop. He had questions about permits and OC @ 18. I told him he could OC at 18 and CCW at 21. Then he reminded me that he couldn't buy a gun, from a gun store until 21.

Hey it's been a long time since I was 18. When I was 18, all the stuff we can now do at 21, I could at 18. So how can an 18 year old get a hand gun, besides the obvious loan and gift?

Private Party sale.

Sabotage70

While in the checkout line at Smith's. The young man bagging my grocery's thought I was carrying a Glock. Him, "I never seen a glock with that kind of a grip on it." :)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
As mentioned in the lunch thread, I went to Wild West Guns on Wynn, just north of Hacienda. Don't take Hacienda to get there, though. It's still a bridge that's 100 feet over the road.

As I remembered the sign is a "go." It says "firearms must be unloaded or stowed" (underlining theirs.)

The only people who gave my 7.5" Vaquero a second look were the other customers.

I picked up two of my projects that the gunsmith finished. There is now a working safety on the custom trigger on my US Model 1898 Krag sporter, and they built an extractor and firing pin spring for my Lake Erie 37mm grenade launcher. I am very happy with their store and work and prices.

JB Books

Everywhere!

I live in metro Louisville, Ky and have a ccdw permit but lately I have been open carrying my 1875 remington outlaw SAA on a western rig weapon low on my right hip, I have dressed western all my life cowboy hat boots jeans etc, today a police officer approached me after gassing up my suv and asked if I were looking for trouble, I gave the standard John Wayne answer, a real man doesnt go looking for trouble but doesnt shy away from it either he the said do you have a permit cor tha gun, I said I dont need one do you have one for yours with a chuckle ( I must point out I maintained respect at all times as I am a gentleman) he said let me see your license so I gave him my license he looked it over gave it back and said all you will get carrying that on your side is endless hassles and a lot of your time wasted by getting your license called in, I have an I phone with the spy app, lets you record audio with a black screen I played it for the nice officer and asked him if he would like to accompany me to his station and allow mw the honor of playing the recording to his supervisor, all the while being polite and smiling, then I looked him dead in the eye and recited Ky's open carry law making sure it could not be changed by local ordinence that only the state has the right to manadate carrying he then changed his posture but told me that he had been instructed by his captain to openly discourage anyone he see's carrying open and get them to apply for a ccdw and then carry concealed, I pointed out to him those that see this .45 long colt on my side tend to leave me alone and they may not do that if they didnt know I had one he was polite albeit a little uninformed but we fixed that, there are those I have seen on youtube refusing to give a license of ID when asked and giving the police a hard time, I go with the flow I know my rights and I know where and when I can carry open that is our responsibility and it should be the leo's too I must admit 6'4 235lbs cowboy hat, boots and a .45 long Colt openly carried he was probably just checking to see if I was sane lmao! I love this forum and I am glad that on the 25th time I got the ar you human question right and was able to join :0)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to the forum.

Two things:
1) You posted in the NV forum. Look for the KY forum, you'll get more relevant info from the folks in your state.
2) Paragraghs are OUR friends.

There sure has been a lot of misdirected posts lately. :(

The Kentucky sub-forum is here .

SovereignAxe

Welcome to the forum.

Two things:
1) You posted in the NV forum. Look for the KY forum, you'll get more relevant info from the folks in your state.
2) Paragraghs are OUR friends.

forget paragraphs, how about some punctuation?! periods are our friends.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I agree with the paragraphs and punctuation. I could have read the twice as quickly if it had been written better. FYI, I often don't bother reading when someone doesn't take the time to write it correctly. That said, THANK YOU for posting your encounter, and THANK YOU for carrying.

Here's my question. If you knew your rights, and stood ready to assert them, why did you give him your ID? Is that required in KY?

ed2276

I live in metro Louisville, Ky and have a ccdw permit but lately I have been open carrying my 1875 remington outlaw SAA on a western rig weapon low on my right hip, I have dressed western all my life cowboy hat boots jeans etc, today a police officer approached me after gassing up my suv and asked if I were looking for trouble, I gave the standard John Wayne answer, a real man doesnt go looking for trouble but doesnt shy away from it either he the said do you have a permit cor tha gun, I said I dont need one do you have one for yours with a chuckle ( I must point out I maintained respect at all times as I am a gentleman) he said let me see your license so I gave him my license he looked it over gave it back and said all you will get carrying that on your side is endless hassles and a lot of your time wasted by getting your license called in, I have an I phone with the spy app, lets you record audio with a black screen I played it for the nice officer and asked him if he would like to accompany me to his station and allow mw the honor of playing the recording to his supervisor, all the while being polite and smiling, then I looked him dead in the eye and recited Ky's open carry law making sure it could not be changed by local ordinence that only the state has the right to manadate carrying he then changed his posture but told me that he had been instructed by his captain to openly discourage anyone he see's carrying open and get them to apply for a ccdw and then carry concealed, I pointed out to him those that see this .45 long colt on my side tend to leave me alone and they may not do that if they didnt know I had one he was polite albeit a little uninformed but we fixed that, there are those I have seen on youtube refusing to give a license of ID when asked and giving the police a hard time, I go with the flow I know my rights and I know where and when I can carry open that is our responsibility and it should be the leo's too I must admit 6'4 235lbs cowboy hat, boots and a .45 long Colt openly carried he was probably just checking to see if I was sane lmao! I love this forum and I am glad that on the 25th time I got the ar you human question right and was able to join :0)

I think many people would carry concealed, if it were not so cost-prohibitive. I find it amusing when a cop complains about us not carrying concealed when his pals in the legislature have made it illegal for us to do so. If cops and others would feel more comfortable having us carry concealed then they ought to lobby the lawmakers to make concealed carry lawful without a permit. Problem solved.

If the cops and lawmakers aren't willing to make it lawful for everyone to conceal carry without a permit, and they keep the costs of obtaining a CCW prohibitively high, then when they see people exercising their only other option for lawful carry--open carry--they ought to shut the hell up and quit complaining about the very condition they create.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I have to stick up for the fellow from Kentucky...

1. They are called rights..., not writes.
2. he was cool with an encounter in "hostile territory"
The good part about this is despite his lack of education he is on our side and game... I am cut from the same cloth he is, I have a 8th grade education (at best), Broken carpels in my right hand no feeling in two fingers of my left hand, But I take it to the man the best I know how. I also say that I have learned and do appreciate the more "schooled types" correcting me on spelling, punctuation etc. but I think we could be more supportive.... and help at the same time...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Yes, I want to put much more emphasis on the welcome! I suck at conversation on the Internet... :p

Today was a vintage surplus rifle match at Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club. It may not be OC in "public," but I had my loaded sidearm for the whole match and travel. But then, my neighbors are pretty used to seeing me OC in and out, usually with long guns on the shoulders as well.

I also OC'd at the bar at the Pro Gun Club afterward. They are used to it as well. The senior RO recognized it as the Kimber .45 I used with the Kimber .22 conversion kit to win a few of his bullseye matches, so we had some good 1911 talk as he was carrying a Sig 1911.

wrightme

Yesterday,

OC in Big R Fallon, no problems at all.

OC in Walmart, finally heard part of one comment from another shopper. Some guy with wife/gf, walking away, "...why....has to carry gun....."

Sounded negative tone, but I didn't bother myself attempting to either listen, or discuss with him. I was simply shopping, as was he.

Fallschirjmäger

Yesterday,
OC in Big R Fallon, no problems at all.
OC in Walmart, finally heard part of one comment from another shopper. Some guy with wife/gf, walking away, "...why....has to carry gun....."
Sounded negative tone, but I didn't bother myself attempting to either listen, or discuss with him. I was simply shopping, as was he.
They never question why their lords and masters carry weapons to protect themselves against the serfs, but woe to the serf who carries as though he were a freeman.

FallonJeeper

Yesterday,

LOL

Shame on you! Didn't you know we must please everybody and conform to the sheeple's demands? ;o)

He was probably just trying to score points with his woman. I bet he secretly wants to open carry, but she won't have it. ;o)

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

I did circle back, as promised, to tell the young fella at Jack in the box that if he met the standards for buying a gun, he could do a private purchase.

Had dinner @ Red Lobster in Reno. I was sitting strong side out, on the aisle seat (kids always fight to sit next to dad or mom and I got stuck in this seat due to my 8 and 10 year olds). No issues with the staff. But a woman, leaving the restaurant had to come down the aisle directly toward me and make a right turn and pass me, to leave. She stopped dead in her tracks, for a second as she approached me but then left, never saying anything. I just thought her reaction was a bit odd.

Had dinner at Sherry's Steak House in Yerington, got the hairy eyeball from a couple, seated at the next table, but nothing more. I just smiled at them.

ed2276

I OC'd today at the Wal-Mart on Tropical at Centennial Center for over an hour with the wife. Then, my wife, son, and I went to dinner at Streets of New York pizza pub on Norman Rockwell at Farm.

No problems at either place.

Savvyshamrock

May be off topic?

Hello! I'm new here and this is my first post. Yay! =)

I'm interested in open carrying and have read through this thread and have really gotten inspired so I appreciate everyone posting and sharing.

Unfortunately, my HUSBAND (see, girls aren't always the wussy ones =) is very against me open carrying. He has a friend who is very into concealed and keeps telling him all these horror stories and miss information about open carry. I did send him to this website, but he pretty much picked out all the stories about people getting hassled and all the really negative stuff.

To be honest I'm a little nervous about just doing it. I'm a non confrontational person so I'm not sure how I would react to negativity and I think being asked to leave would make me cry. =)

I was raised in Tennessee, gun control is something that I learned along with walking. It's something I've taught to my son. When we go home for the holidays we always go to the range with my family and make a fun day of it. My husband shoots, not as well as I do... =) But he's always the first one to step up and try out whatever new toy my parents have gotten. I'm just not sure how to loosen him up. I can relate to the previous post where the guy was carrying to the grocery store and got the cold shoulder from his wife. I would totally be in the dog house.

Does anyone have any advise on how to ease him into it when his issue isn't that he doesn't like shooting and doesn't have an issue with me carrying, as long as its not open?

Also, since it was brought up during the thread, from a girls point of view and even for a child, the best thing to do to get a girl or kid involved is to take them to an outdoor range with a 22 and shake up some soda cans. They are fun to shoot and the cans are fun to see results with so it makes it a funny yet informational trip. =)