• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Map for KS

IanB

imported post

You're telling us that Bass Pro required you to engage in unnecessary gun handling inside the store?

Did Bass Pro provide the trigger lock?

captainamerica

imported post

I know you can carry the loaded handgun on the way to and from the store but it does significantly hamper your ability to have a loaded weapon on you while in the store. To me that's contrary to the whole reason to OC in the first place, i.e., having a loaded weapon for personalself defense, etc. That doesn't bother you? Just asking, not trying to do anything else.

fesfro wrote:
They asked me to install a trigger lock, and they supplied it. I did not have a problem with that request at all.

IanB

imported post

My problem is the unnecessary gun handling inside the store. The last thing I want to be doing, while inside a store... is fiddling around with a loaded handgun installing a trigger lock onto a "hot" trigger, or fiddling around unloading a firearm so the trigger is "cold".

I support private property rights, but my wallet does not. If Bass Pro wants to create a gun free zone (except for theones for salebehind the counter) that is their prerogative. However, having a policy where customers are drawing loaded firearms out of a holster in the store to fiddle around installing a trigger lock seems rather moronic and will have bad results sooner or later.

fesfro

imported post

I OC'd at the Great Plains Mall, and at Target thisevening without any harassment at all. Mall Security checked me out from a distance, but never approached me. The more I thought about the replies to the Bass Pro/trigger lock experience, the more I agree. Unecessary gun handling is not acceptable, or responsible. After the gun show tomorrow, I am going back to Bass Pro, and I am going to OC without a trigger lock. If that is an issue with Bass Pro, I will let everyone know. I really doubt it will be, now that I have more OC experience in Olathe and the surrounding areas, I can be more assertive in my 2nd Amendment Right. After all, I'm not breaking any local, or state laws.;)

fesfro

imported post

OK, Bass Pro Shops employee "Ed", a very pleasant older gentleman, at the front door told me Kansas State Law requires them to install a trigger lock on ANY firearm carried into their store. "Ed" also informed me that if I had a CCW permit, NOBODY has any control over what you carry, or where, because nobody would know the difference. I mentioned to him that everything he said was contrary to how the laws in Kansas and Olathe were explained to me, and he said; "That's the law here in Kansas". Now I'm just a little more than unhappy. Not only did I have to unecessarily unholster and handle my LOADED Glock in the store, I was unable to re-holster the weapon with the trigger lock on it, and had to HAND CARRY the LOADED Glock throughout the store. After OCing all over Olathe, O.P., and Lenexa all day without incident, why now should I have to deal with this. I thought Bass Pro was supposed to be "The Sportsmans Paradise". I guess only those sportsman who don't carry a handgun, use a handgun, or appreciate their 2nd Amendment Right given to us by the U.S. Govt. Sorry for the rant, but I'm pretty frustrated right now. Any suggestions or ideas on how to address this situation?:cuss::cuss::cuss: fesfro

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

fesfro wrote:
OK, Bass Pro Shops employee "Ed", a very pleasant older gentleman, at the front door told me Kansas State Law requires them to install a trigger lock on ANY firearm carried into their store. "Ed" also informed me that if I had a CCW permit, NOBODY has any control over what you carry, or where, because nobody would know the difference. I mentioned to him that everything he said was contrary to how the laws in Kansas and Olathe were explained to me, and he said; "That's the law here in Kansas". Now I'm just a little more than unhappy. Not only did I have to unecessarily unholster and handle my LOADED Glock in the store, I was unable to re-holster the weapon with the trigger lock on it, and had to HAND CARRY the LOADED Glock throughout the store. After OCing all over Olathe, O.P., and Lenexa all day without incident, why now should I have to deal with this. I thought Bass Pro was supposed to be "The Sportsmans Paradise". I guess only those sportsman who don't carry a handgun, use a handgun, or appreciate their 2nd Amendment Right given to us by the U.S. Govt. Sorry for the rant, but I'm pretty frustrated right now. Any suggestions or ideas on how to address this situation?:cuss::cuss::cuss: fesfro
Start with the store manager, then move up the chain. There are two lines of attack - first, question whether there is such a policy top handle loaded guns and put trigger locks on them, then ask why? If they raise state law, ask them to cite b/c there appears to be no such law, then escalate to corp. HQ. I'm sure you will get them to fix.

IanB

imported post

fesfro wrote:
Not only did I have to unecessarily unholster and handle my LOADED Glock in the store, I was unable to re-holster the weapon with the trigger lock on it, and had to HAND CARRY the LOADED Glock throughout the store.
I'm speechless. There is no way I'm going into any store that requires anything like that above.

fesfro

imported post

I have made a few phone calls to Bass Pro Corporate, and have yet to get a solid answer. I was told by corporate that what I was told in the store was incorrect, and they would address the problem, and let me know the outcome. I have not received a call back yet.

LadyGreenEyes

imported post

tanman wrote:
Gentlemen-

I will be visiting you fair state next week. Anyone know where I can find concealed reciprocacy laws? I alreadyread most of what I could find on gun laws in general. Here's what I took from what I found- please let me know ifyou think I'm off;

SB552- Agents of the state can not seize firearms except during the course of a crime investigation/ Governer now can not restrict the sale/carry of arms even during a state of emergency.

HB2528- It appears you are making steps toward premption- although this was a little hard to understand;

[align=left]Section 1. K.S.A. 2006 Supp. 12-16,124 is hereby amended to readas follows: 12-16,124. (a) No city or county shall adopt any ordinance,resolution or regulation, and no agent of any city or county shall take anyadministrative action, governing the purchase, transfer, ownership, stor-age or transporting of firearms or ammunition, or any component or com-bination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute. Exceptas provided in subsection (b) and subsection (a) of K.S.A. 2006 Supp. 75-7c11, and amendments, any such ordinance, resolution or regu-lation adopted prior to the effective date of this 2007 act shall be null andvoid. (the following was lined out as null and void in the bill text) For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms or ammunition, or components or combinations thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.[/align]
[align=left](b) Nothing in this section shall:[/align]
[align=left](1) Prohibit a city or county from adopting any zoning measure re-[/align]
[align=left]lated to firearms licensees if otherwise authorized by law to do so;...[/align]
[align=left](remainder ommitted to save space)[/align]
SB185-almost identical toHB2528

Thanks in advance for any help you are willing to provide.

I just finished a class for concealed carry in Kansas, and have the list of those states whose permits we accept:

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Kentucky, Louisiana. Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, & West Virginia.

KansasMustang

imported post

Another town you cannot open carry in is Junction City Kansas, where Fort Riley is. I looked it up in the towns statutes. Concealed carry ok, open nope.

LadyGreenEyes

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
Another town you cannot open carry in is Junction City Kansas, where Fort Riley is. I looked it up in the towns statutes. Concealed carry ok, open nope.
Anyone that's been there knows how ridiculous that is, too! Lot of crime there, and the BGs don't care about the rules. Was in JC once (don't live there, but bank is there), at the ATM one night. Husband and I in the car. Some guy actually comes up to the car, and starts talking about "being stranded" there, claiming he "lived in Manhattan", and was "looking for a house in JC". Yeah....sure....We deliberately withdrew no cash, though we had planned to, and only deposited the check we had also brought. After some conversation, he decided there was no cash appearing, and walked away, at which time we went directly to the police station and reported him. Of course, he was long gone, but their response time was fast. I KNOW he at least had a knife, if not a gun.

I think the general rule is, if you have a Cc permit, you can also open carry; is that correct?

Walleye

imported post

LadyGreenEyes wrote:
KansasMustang wrote:
Anyone that's been there knows how ridiculous that is, too! Lot of crime there, and the BGs don't care about the rules. Was in JC once (don't live there, but bank is there), at the ATM one night. Husband and I in the car. Some guy actually comes up to the car, and starts talking about "being stranded" there, claiming he "lived in Manhattan", and was "looking for a house in JC". Yeah....sure....We deliberately withdrew no cash, though we had planned to, and only deposited the check we had also brought. After some conversation, he decided there was no cash appearing, and walked away, at which time we went directly to the police station and reported him. Of course, he was long gone, but their response time was fast. I KNOW he at least had a knife, if not a gun.

I think the general rule is, if you have a Cc permit, you can also open carry; is that correct?
Negative, CC permit holders are under the same regulations as those without permits regarding open carry. Some cities make exceptions for permit holders, but it's up to them whether or not they want to do that. CC permit holders can open carry in their vehicles regardless of local regulations, however.

LadyGreenEyes

imported post

Walleye wrote:
LadyGreenEyes wrote:
KansasMustang wrote:

Negative, CC permit holders are under the same regulations as those without permits regarding open carry. Some cities make exceptions for permit holders, but it's up to them whether or not they want to do that. CC permit holders can open carry in their vehicles regardless of local regulations, however.
TY. City by city makes sense. Any idea what Manhattan says on the issue?

Walleye

imported post

Manhattan doesn't have any prohibitions on open carry that I can find - at least online. The deadly weapons prohibition relates to unlicensed concealed carry.

http://library6.municode.com/default-test/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setHitDoc&doc_hit=2

Further Manhattan ordinances found here:

http://library6.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=11213&doc_action=whatsnew

I have no idea if the entire Manhattan ordinances are online, but the entries pertaining to deadly weapons are as above. I have open carried in Manhattan on a few occasions, but most of the time I just conceal when going there.

Donald Small

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
I just got word back from the Liberal Ks city clerk that there is nothing on the books against OC here BUT heres the thing, i dont think she really even knows. it took her a week to get back with me and all she was doing was playing phone tag with the local PD and SO and they in turn were refering her back to herself....on top of that there is no public copy of the city codes for public veiwing, so if you wanted to do the research yourself you would be paying 50 cents PER PAGE for a possible 8-900 page document.

not only all this but how does OC being allowed and me being an out of state colorado resident go together? i couldnt get an answer on this either.

truth of the matter: not even the city clerk knows. she did tell me she couldnt find anything but that still doesnt mean that there isnt something burried somewhere in the city codes........can we please get some bigger city folks to do some research on this?

edit:i for one dont think i should pay for a document that is supposed to be public info. the very least they could do is let you look through it at city hall. they wont.

Last edited: