• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Pamphlet

SpringerXDacp

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
OK. So I hope I don't sound to stupid here.. and I probably do, especially since I'm an engineer... but, how do these get printed up? Are they printed on two pages? If so, how do they get folded together? :uhoh:

ETA: For what it's worth, I like the flags and the OCDO picture.
It appears by the way it's formatted that both the pages you see in the file will be printed on one sheet (front & back) and tri-folded (space between columns) where the logo/flags and OC info below will be the front of the handout when folded.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SQLtables wrote:
OK. So I hope I don't sound to stupid here.. and I probably do, especially since I'm an engineer... but, how do these get printed up? Are they printed on two pages? If so, how do they get folded together? :uhoh:

ETA: For what it's worth, I like the flags and the OCDO picture.
Mine is in a word doc. once I pull it up I go to the printer and check options. You will see a window about printing on both sides, choose from two sheets to one and on the long or short side (I can't rremember which works, I print it both ways then see which way I want it.) It should come out as one page printed on both sides. I fold over the logo third as the front and bend it do it is in even thirds. Try a couple and you will see what it should look like. Not hard for a 5th grader, but engineers have a rough time with it.

SQLtables

imported post

HAHA, you're right Venator, sometimes it takes an engineer a little longer to catch on to things. Maybe that's why bridges collapse sometimes.

Thanks for not being too rough on me guys. I'm not officially an engineer until next Monday when I start my new job. Right now I'm doing Networking in IT, so I really should know about duplexing and all that ;)

Gosirr

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Gosirr wrote:
OK, I got a lot of great feedback at Sundays picnic. The new version is moved around a bit and has some new stuff too. Iam tryingto get a better flow of the info. My only worry is that the font may be getting to small. Take a look and let me know. Warlock: is the age thing better now-or does it still need some work.

One last thing:

Thus, any person licensed to carry a concealed pistol, including a private investigator, is exempt from the gun-free zone restrictions imposed by section 234d of the Penal Code and may therefore openly carry theirfirearms while on the types of premises listed in that statute.

And of course, crossed Michigan and US flags over the logo wouldn't hurt my feelings. (OK, last time!)
This is a quote, I dont think we can change it to openly carry.

BigE

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Brandishing and disturbing the peace are not an offense while lawfully openly carrying a firearm.
This line is confusing.
This statement in itself could be confusing unless you read the, then, Michigan Attorney General Granholms opinion 7101...Just my take. I think we have all beat this thing to death. If any of us look hard enough we can find something that just doesn't look right to us. Maybe it should have a little bit of confusion or thought provocation to it. (We also have the disclaimer and a few advisory statements).Maybe that is what people who are on the fence about this issue need. I think there is a lot of information packed into this pamphlet and for sure no one could make an intelligent, informed decision based solely on what we can give them in an 8.5 x 11 double sided piece of paper. It provokes thought and curiosity among those interested in gun rights. Then, at the end, we point them in the right direction with the OCDO website.

Venator

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
I think if we don't want to look like a bunch of gun toting crazies, anything we hand out should be very polished.

True, but very polished costs money and some have spent a lot on the cause already. It's hard to do what we would like to do without cash. So unless we get donations, a rich benefactoror free services we do the best we can. Doug is out a few hundred bucks on getting three banners made and has not received any money or much thanks for his efforts. Thanks again Doug, we will try and get some banner donations at the Monroe event.

I plan on bringing the MOC logo banner to Monroe and I thing Doug will bring the others. I will have the MOC logo banner displayedbehind usduring the Saturday Afternoon Shootout this Saturday if you want to see what it looks like. (It looks very nice).

SQLtables

imported post

Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
I think if we don't want to look like a bunch of gun toting crazies, anything we hand out  should be very polished.

True, but very polished costs money and some have spent a lot on the cause already.  It's hard to do what we would like to do without cash.  So unless we get donations, a rich benefactor or free services we do the best we can.  Doug is out a few hundred bucks on getting three banners made and has not received any money or much thanks for his efforts.  Thanks again Doug, we will try and get some banner donations at the Monroe event.

I plan on bringing the MOC logo banner to Monroe and I thing Doug will bring the others.  I will have the MOC logo banner displayed behind us during the Saturday Afternoon Shootout this Saturday if you want to see what it looks like.  (It looks very nice).

I don't mean polished as in, expensive paper, bright color, etc.. I mean, spelling, grammar, readability, etc...

That line that I pointed out sounds like you can't get charged for brandishing or disturbing the piece while you are OCing.. which isn't true, you just won't get charged (hopefully) BECAUSE you were OCing.. things like that..

I suppose I can proofread it and repost it if anybody wants me to.

taxwhat

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
I think if we don't want to look like a bunch of gun toting crazies, anything we hand out should be very polished.

True, but very polished costs money and some have spent a lot on the cause already. It's hard to do what we would like to do without cash. So unless we get donations, a rich benefactoror free services we do the best we can. Doug is out a few hundred bucks on getting three banners made and has not received any money or much thanks for his efforts. Thanks again Doug, we will try and get some banner donations at the Monroe event.

I plan on bringing the MOC logo banner to Monroe and I thing Doug will bring the others. I will have the MOC logo banner displayedbehind usduring the Saturday Afternoon Shootout this Saturday if you want to see what it looks like. (It looks very nice).

I don't mean polished as in, expensive paper, bright color, etc.. I mean, spelling, grammar, readability, etc...

That line that I pointed out sounds like you can't get charged for brandishing or disturbing the piece while you are OCing.. which isn't true, you just won't get charged (hopefully) BECAUSE you were OCing.. things like that..

Many eyes see more !please just do it .

Venator

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. Charges of brandishing or disturbing the peace do not apply to the lawful open carry of a handgun, period. By now all our members must know that you CAN BE ARRESTED for anything. But legally those two charges don't apply to legal OC.

SQLtables

imported post

Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
I think if we don't want to look like a bunch of gun toting crazies, anything we hand out  should be very polished.

True, but very polished costs money and some have spent a lot on the cause already.  It's hard to do what we would like to do without cash.  So unless we get donations, a rich benefactor or free services we do the best we can.  Doug is out a few hundred bucks on getting three banners made and has not received any money or much thanks for his efforts.  Thanks again Doug, we will try and get some banner donations at the Monroe event.

I plan on bringing the MOC logo banner to Monroe and I thing Doug will bring the others.  I will have the MOC logo banner displayed behind us during the Saturday Afternoon Shootout this Saturday if you want to see what it looks like.  (It looks very nice).

I'm not sure what you mean.  Charges of brandishing or disturbing the peace do not apply to the lawful open carry of a handgun, period.  By now all our members must know that you CAN BE ARRESTED for anything.  But legally those two charges don't apply to legal OC. 

Well, first, this pamphlet isn't for members who already know. But, in any case, read this line:

Brandishing and disturbing the peace are not an offense while lawfully openly carrying a firearm.

It sounds, to me and to a couple of coworkers who I just had read it and give me their initial reaction, that as long as you are openly carrying a firearm, you cannot be charged with brandishing or disturbing the piece, even for reasons unrelated to OC.

I understand what this line means, and you understand what this line means, I just think we want it to be as clear as possible for those who know nothing about the law and OC in general.

Again, this is just my opinion, I'm happy to hand these out as-is, and I greatly appreciate all of the effort others have put into this project. Thank you!

Venator

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. Charges of brandishing or disturbing the peace do not apply to the lawful open carry of a handgun, period. By now all our members must know that you CAN BE ARRESTED for anything. But legally those two charges don't apply to legal OC.

Well, first, this pamphlet isn't for members who already know. But, in any case, read this line:

It sounds, to me and to a couple of coworkers who I just had read it and give me their initial reaction, that as long as you are openly carrying a firearm, you cannot be charged with brandishing or disturbing the piece, even for reasons unrelated to OC.

I understand what this line means, and you understand what this line means, I just think we want it to be as clear as possible for those who know nothing about the law and OC in general.

Again, this is just my opinion, I'm happy to hand these out as-is, and I greatly appreciate all of the effort others have put into this project. Thank you!
Gotcha...Brandishing and disturbing the peace are not an offenseFOR lawful open carry ofa firearm.

Something like that? And where the hell were you when I posted this 9 months ago and asked for comments????;)

Any person now has access to the brochure and can edit as needed. I plan on bringing 75 B&W brochures to Monroe, if anyone else wants to bring more and in color, I'll keep my copies in reserve in casewe need them.

SQLtables

imported post

Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean.  Charges of brandishing or disturbing the peace do not apply to the lawful open carry of a handgun, period.  By now all our members must know that you CAN BE ARRESTED for anything.  But legally those two charges don't apply to legal OC. 

Gotcha...Brandishing and disturbing the peace are not an offense FOR lawful open carry of a firearm.

Something like that?  And where the hell were you when I posted this 9 months ago and asked for comments????;)

Any person now has access to the brochure and can edit as needed.  I plan on bringing 75 B&W brochures to Monroe, if anyone else wants to bring more and in color, I'll keep my copies in reserve in case we need them.

9 months ago, I made the mistake of skimming the info, and being excited because it was a very good idea. I'm trying to look at this pamphlet from the perspective of Joe the Plumber.

BigE

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:

Gotcha...Brandishing and disturbing the peace are not an offenseFOR lawful open carry ofa firearm.

Something like that? And where the hell were you when I posted this 9 months ago and asked for comments????;)

Any person now has access to the brochure and can edit as needed. I plan on bringing 75 B&W brochures to Monroe, if anyone else wants to bring more and in color, I'll keep my copies in reserve in casewe need them.

9 months ago, I made the mistake of skimming the info, and being excited because it was a very good idea. I'm trying to look at this pamphlet from the perspective of Joe the Plumber.
Would it make it more clear if we made it something like lawful open carry of a holstered firearm? I can see where it could be construed as you can just walk around with a pistol in your hand.

SQLtables

imported post

BigE wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:

Gotcha...Brandishing and disturbing the peace are not an offense FOR lawful open carry of a firearm.

Something like that?  And where the hell were you when I posted this 9 months ago and asked for comments????;)

Any person now has access to the brochure and can edit as needed.  I plan on bringing 75 B&W brochures to Monroe, if anyone else wants to bring more and in color, I'll keep my copies in reserve in case we need them.

Would it make it more clear if we made it something like lawful open carry of a holstered firearm? I can see where it could be construed as you can just walk around with a pistol in your hand.

I think Venator was right on with:

"Brandishing and disturbing the peace are not an offense FOR THE lawful open carry of a firearm."

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Gosirr wrote:
JeffSayers wrote:
Gosirr wrote:
OK, I got a lot of great feedback at Sundays picnic. The new version is moved around a bit and has some new stuff too. Iam tryingto get a better flow of the info. My only worry is that the font may be getting to small. Take a look and let me know. Warlock: is the age thing better now-or does it still need some work.

One last thing:

Thus, any person licensed to carry a concealed pistol, including a private investigator, is exempt from the gun-free zone restrictions imposed by section 234d of the Penal Code and may therefore openly carry theirfirearms while on the types of premises listed in that statute.

And of course, crossed Michigan and US flags over the logo wouldn't hurt my feelings. (OK, last time!)
This is a quote, I dont think we can change it to openly carry.
Oh, I didn't notice it was a quote. Sorry for the confusion.

Venator

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
I think Venator was right on with:

"Brandishing and disturbing the peace are not an offense FOR THE lawful open carry of a firearm."
The lawful open carry of a firearm is not in and of itself cause for charges for brandishing or disturbing the peace.

The lawful open carry of a firearm isnot cause for a charge ofbrandishing or disturbing the peace.

Better:lol: