• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC picinc at Silverdale Waterfront Park (WA) gets big time press!

MadHatter66

imported post

Ok, regarding the Kitsap Sun.

Jim Bryant will be there to cover the event this Sunday. Josh Farley may also be there, he is the one that wrote the "More Kitsapers Packing Heat" article last Aug.
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2008/aug/30/packing-for-their-peace-of-mind/
He may or may not be there on Sunday to cover the event and talk to people. He is very interested in the fact that Kitsap County refuses to remove the "no guns in county parks" ordnance from their books, in violation of state law, and I may actually be meeting with him outside of this even to talk to him about it, according to his email he is willing to write an article about the county.

As for what to bring, I will wait and see what we need and make a run from there, Costco and Safeway are literally right around the corner from the park.

Looks like it will be a decent turn out this weekend, hope to see everyone there.

FMCDH

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
I'm in...I have a canopy to bring, and....um...some kinda food I guess.

Wait...do we have drinks covered?
Probably not even close for all the people that it looks like will be there. :?

MadHatter66

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
Phssthpok wrote:
I'm in...I have a canopy to bring, and....um...some kinda food I guess.

Wait...do we have drinks covered?
Probably not even close for all the people that it looks like will be there. :?

The nice thing is that Safeway is right around the corner, Costco is less than a mile from the park... I happen to live here in Silverdale, so if there is anything lacking, we can run and get it and be back before anyone notices anyone missing :cool:

FMCDH

imported post

Is there a designated plot or sight number we need to be aware of? Do we have some way to make sure we are not wandering into the picnic site of some poor family that happens to be in the park too? :p

MadHatter66

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
Is there a designated plot or sight number we need to be aware of? Do we have some way to make sure we are not wandering into the picnic site of some poor family that happens to be in the park too? :p

Not really, there is a large covered area, and the rest of the park is open. I am thinking that the organizer will try and get the covered area in the morning, and as far as I know there is no reservations for it, being a park should be first come first serve.

That being said, there is not a ton of room at the park, but plenty of space for a picnic, so if we have a huge turn out, it may get interesting. The thing that will be interesting is that there is a large toy for kids, and the mothers LOVE to call stuff in to 911 like they own the park or something. The once called in a teen riding his bike to close to their children once, so it may get interesting in that respect as well. There should be plenty of parking, there is a dirt lot right next to the park, as well as a paved parking lot by the boat launch.

FMCDH

imported post

Here is an overview map of the park from Google Earth. Just to give everyone an idea of what we are looking at.

phoneguy

imported post

If the covered area is first come. Is 11 am early enough?
Or if another group is there first we have to make our own covered area with chairs ETC.

j2l3

imported post

Silverdale's Waterfront Park is a Kitsap County Park. The following information is from their website.

Please do not be surprised if you get set up and are asked to leave the shelter area by another group who has it reserved, which is likely with the current weather pattern.

Good luck and have fun! Wish I could be there, but I have way to many family obligations this weekend.

http://www.kitsapgov.com/parks/freq_asked_questions.htm#Picnic

Anna Smith County Park
[*]Buck Lake County Park
[*]Kitsap Fairgrounds & Events Center
[*]Kitsap Kids Playground
[*]Island Lake County Park
[*]Salsbury Point County Park
[*]Silverdale Waterfront Park
[*]South Kitsap Community Park [/list]
[align=justify]Effective January 1, 2008, reservations are required for use of a picnic shelter at any Kitsap County Park. Applications are available on the Facilities section of our webpage. Contact our Parks Office at 360.337.5350 for availability and reservation information.
[/align]

sempercarry

imported post

Damn, I looked around and couldn't find reservation info.....i sure hope there wont be another group there. I will be there pretty early to make sure no other "first come first serve" groups show up.

swatspyder

imported post

sempercarry wrote:
Damn, I looked around and couldn't find reservation info.....i sure hope there wont be another group there. I will be there pretty early to make sure no other "first come first serve" groups show up.
Even if someone shows up, I bet all day they will be:what:at everyone who is (able to be) carrying.

I'm sure they would share the area...

phoneguy

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
sempercarry wrote:
Even if someone shows up, I bet all day they will be:what:at everyone who is (able to be) carrying.

You have to fill out a form. The rental is $60 for 4 hours.

sempercarry

imported post

Well......here comes the BIG GREEN WEENIE (Marine term for getting screwed) I may not be able to show up to my own event. The people that were supposed to relieve me decided they had more important things to do then work.:cuss::cuss:I may be able to make it but it is looking doubtful. I am very sorry to all but it doesn't look like I can get out of work this weekend. I will be calling the Kitsap parks service to see if the cover is available and to reserve it if at all possible but dont count on my original list of items that I will be bringing.AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH damn think for your selfers:banghead::banghead:

j2l3

imported post

swatspyder wrote:

Do you want them to share because they see guns or to share because it is the neighborly thing to do...

I think it would be wrong tothink they would share because they saw legally carried weapons. We. most of us anyway, want to be treated like anyone else, despite our weapons.

I have reserved park space before and had others not only try to take it, but would ask us to share. I refused to share the space because i had a large group and , dammit, I paid for the use! They didn't.

sempercarry

imported post

Picnic area is available from 11-3, I am in the process of reserving it as I type.