• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC without retention -- Irresponsible?

AbNo

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Nothing will ever replace situational awareness and (my preferance) resting my forearm on top of my {weapon}
       Yata hey

Interesting. Good to know I'm not the only one that found an arm rest while I'm out and about. :lol:

sitedzn

imported post

well, i may oc my 1911 w/o "retention" now that i just got my Safariland 5188 from Midway. i made 1 turn on the tension screw and it's all i can do to get the firearm out. and with my build, anyone who would try to remove it would probably pull me down on the ground first.

unrequited

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
Bulldog1967 wrote:
I exclusively OC with a Serpa holster with my M&P for this very reason.
hows your M&P holding up? Doesnt serpa holster scratch your gun?
Never had a problem with my Serpa on my XD. It's plastic on metal, unless there's sand or other abrasive between the two, I couldn't imagine how it would scratch. Maybe Mjolnir could chime in on Serpa scratching but I've never had a problem.

sitedzn

imported post

unrequited wrote:
swatpro911 wrote:
Bulldog1967 wrote:
I exclusively OC with a Serpa holster with my M&P for this very reason.
hows your M&P holding up? Doesnt serpa holster scratch your gun?
Never had a problem with my Serpa on my XD. It's plastic on metal, unless there's sand or other abrasive between the two, I couldn't imagine how it would scratch. Maybe Mjolnir could chime in on Serpa scratching but I've never had a problem.
my serpa has never scratched my m&p either. i mean, think about it - plastic vs. stainless steel. only thing that i can imagine would eventually happen is the finish get worn a bit. but i would think with enough use any holster could do that.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I think a lot of the finish wearing off with certain holsters is sweat that may get into the holster, when the pressure of the holster is put against something.

The majority of holsters will be okay with steel/polymer firearms, it is when foreign elements get it when it can cause damage, especially leather.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

sitedzn wrote:
well, i may oc my 1911 w/o "retention" now that i just got my Safariland 5188 from Midway. i made 1 turn on the tension screw and it's all i can do to get the firearm out. and with my build, anyone who would try to remove it would probably pull me down on the ground first.

I feel the same with mine

I have a full size 1911 and quite frankly I dont like snap retention holsters. They seem to fiddle with the safety sometimes as well.The damn thing requires a good bit of force to pull out, especially if from an angle of someone not wearing it would be at anyway.

Hell before I had a holster I walked around with it tucked in my pants. Holsters ARE expensive and I AM poor. I never felt unsafe and dont think I am putting anyone in danger. And quite frankly its none of anyones business how I carry my gun around "Quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" :p

AbNo

imported post

If you wanted, there's a decent CC holster that CAN be used for CC at the CoOp for... 20, 25 dollars, TOPS.

I've already got one, but nothing to put in it (yet).

I know someone that lives in Haymarket, and she's probably coming by here next week, so you could probably pick it up from her if you wanted, or if you're going to the Richmond OC Dine Out. (PM me)

I don't have a picture of the exact one (there was a digicam around here, but it's gone missing...), but this is what they look like.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/5435/49232979tpmn8.jpg

Why do I offer? Because Mexican Carry looks bad. :lol: