• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off duty cop in alleged road rage shooting

LEO 229

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Nelson_Muntz wrote:
That's a whole lotta maybes.
Do two guns make up an arsenal?

Just about as much as two "maybes" equals a "whole lotta" :lol:

Sorry sir, I'm back. Busy afternoon brewing one, bottling one, and tasting one.

Um, did I actually ever ask that question it looks like you are attributing to me? I don't seem to recall. Anyway, I stand by what I said in my original post. From the basic information given, in her shoes I would have been leery and suspect of an unknown, angry individual who seemed to wish to confront me. I don't think it would be to invite me for coffee and pie.

The details at the end of the article are irrelevant to the incident because there is very little chance that the off duty leo had prior knowledge of this particular person's history for it to be a factor in this particular shooting. After the fact is another story, when you are framing someone's character for a jury of their peers, or by a media trial. I don't dispute the history, only that it would not have been relevant to the action of following someone, confronting them and shooting (at) them for a road rage incident.

Would it also have been relevant to indicate in the article that the off duty leo had a history of abusing his spouse? (Hypothetically only)
I think it is important. Not that the cop needed to knowshe was already popped for DWI... but it does advise the reader that this could be a contributing reason why she was being approached that evening. She had to have done something to get this cops attention.

We still have no idea what caused the rookie officer to shoot. My best guess.... she drove at him or tried to run him over.

We have to wait and see.

LEO 229

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
marine dad wrote:
I am shocked and appalled at the blatant cop bashing found in this thread. You all know that police officers can do no wrong. They are the shining example of authoritarian figures we should all strive to be like. Hell, we should GLADLY lay down any and all rights we may have so they are able to "make it home safely"

i'M SURPRISED THIS THREAD HASN'T ALREADY BEEN SHUT DOWN, as my experience discussing such matters has shown me that those who would adamantly defend the 2nd ammendment have no problem pissing all the 1st if it doesn't fit the pc image they want.
Were you turned down for a police job or something? You sure do have a love affair with cops.
Some people just have a bad attitude and do not see the good in others.

He paints all LEOs with broad "bad apple" brush strokes. :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

ijusam wrote:
Very interesting... is it significant that no charges have been filed? it is known that they did a blood draw on the woman at least, wouldn't they have at least charged that if positive? or do they wait and make all charges at once?

I find it interesting that someone who is driving on a suspended license (and maybe DUI) would be calling 911. sounds to me like she had some fear of personal safety.

can't wait to see how it turns out.
It takes time for the lab to run the test.

I will await to hear the 911 calls once the media gets them.

marine dad

imported post

"He paints all LEOs with broad "bad apple" brush strokes. :lol:"

you sir, are a damn liar. please provide ANY evidence that i have EVER done the above, or admit you are a police apologists moron

LEO 229

imported post

marine dad wrote:
"He paints all LEOs with broad "bad apple" brush strokes. :lol:"

you sir, are a damn liar. please provide ANY evidence that i have EVER done the above, or admit you are a police apologists moron
OK .....

marine dad wrote:
I am shocked and appalled at the blatant cop bashing found in this thread. You all know that police officers can do no wrong. They are the shining example of authoritarian figures we should all strive to be like. Hell, we should GLADLY lay down any and all rights we may have so they are able to "make it home safely"

i'M SURPRISED THIS THREAD HASN'T ALREADY BEEN SHUT DOWN, as my experience discussing such matters has shown me that those who would adamantly defend the 2nd ammendment have no problem pissing all the 1st if it doesn't fit the pc image they want.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=9453&forum_id=54&jump_to=151211#p151211

she must have had doughnuts, otherwise she'd have gotten a ticket

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=9453&forum_id=54&jump_to=150550#p150550

Sometimes, a few of you folks seem to forget that the police officers JOB is to generate revenue for whatever municipality he works for. Therefore, ANY encounter will be an attempt, by the police, to find SOMETHING to charge you with. Why give them the chance unnecessarily..

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=6205&forum_id=65&jump_to=99449#p99449

here's another leo who should be caught out somewhere and beaten with a baseball bat.

LEO 229

imported post

marine dad wrote:
"Were you turned down for a police job or something? You sure do have a love affair with cops."

are u an idiot or what? there was not one word in my post that was negative about cops

This CLEARLY was said in a condescending manner.

"You all know that police officers can do no wrong."

and

"They are the shining example of authoritarian figures we should all strive to be like"

You cannot tell me that you truly meant that. :shock:

marine dad

imported post

leo229

you can post any and all of my posts you care to, the FACT remains that you cannot say I have ever painted ALL police officers as being bad. i have merely said they are no better than anyone else.

perhaps you missed this recent post:

"that people are assholes alot of the time, be they drug dealers, pimps, wife-beaters, embezzlers, or, i know this will pain you, cops.

i judge people based on their individual actions, not as a group. if a person is attempting to make life better for himself and others, he is a "good" person in my book. if he is trying to "get over" on others, he's an asshole, be he a criminal or a cop."

my problem is when the hyperboleis put forth thatpolice are somehow "special" andknow best, and should just be cooperated with when they deem it necessary to detain you, harass you, and violate the hell out of your civil rights.

as far as my quotes you listed:

"she must have had doughnuts, otherwise she'd have gotten a ticket"

almost anyone with normal intelligence would recognize this as an attempt at humor, even if possibly somewhat misplaced

and this one:

"Sometimes, a few of you folks seem to forget that the police officers JOB is to generate revenue for whatever municipality he works for. Therefore, ANY encounter will be an attempt, by the police, to find SOMETHING to charge you with. Why give them the chance unnecessarily.."

i stand by this statement. it is not a negative reflection on officers, but on the system they represent. it is merely an opinion, which i am entitled to.

and this one:

"here's another leo who should be caught out somewhere and beaten with a baseball bat"

guess what, i was talking about this one specific officer, so no "broad-brush" painting here, either. and i meant it. he's a disgrace to the uniform.

dkd

imported post

nitrovic, you sir are a piece of work.....im not sure if anyone has asked but are you pro-open carry and if so do you open carry(assuming its legal where you live).....because you only seem to show up on threads regarding LEO activity.

unreconstructed1

imported post

I was going to stay away from this topic like it had leprosy, but I reckon I can't.

LEOs can be good an they can be bad. down here there are a whole lot of bad ones, and then there are some good ones.

I have seen many instances where Police use their badges to get away with some pretty crappy things, and then there are some cops that will help you out if they can.

while you can't paint all police as the "bad guys" there are a whole lot of them who should have been put in jail for some of the things taht they did.

all in all they are just like the rest of us. some good, some bad, and some somewhere in between. and while I may be painted alot as "anti-LEO" I am not. what I am is "anti-LEO corruption"

marine dad

imported post

"The word of importance in this post is "another". Maye ( corrected your incorrect spelling, MAYBE ) a local community college comprehension class is in order. "Another" leo would insinuate two or more leo's should be caught and beaten with a baseball bat."

FINALLY, nitrovic, we agree on something. if you think the statement "another leo" implies in any way that i meant this should be done to ALL leo's, then you DO, in fact, need a local community college course in comprehension. glad we finally agreed on something. keep up the good work!

nitrovic

imported post

marine dad wrote:
"The word of importance in this post is "another". Maye ( corrected your incorrect spelling, MAYBE ) a local community college comprehension class is in order. "Another" leo would insinuate two or more leo's should be caught and beaten with a baseball bat."

FINALLY, nitrovic, we agree on something. if you think the statement "another leo" implies in any way that i meant this should be done to ALL leo's, then you DO, in fact, need a local community college course in comprehension. glad we finally agreed on something. keep up the good work!

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I did not read this whole thread and so I do not know if anyone mentioned it, but imagine as a CCW holder, you see a guy shooting at a women and her 8 yr. old son in a parking lot...

What would be the first thing you do?

I can only speak for myself, but suffice it to say, there would be one less LEO around.

Imagine your horror thinking you've saved someone's life from a BG, and lo and behold, you've just killed a cop.

How the hell are we supposed to know it's an off duty cop doing this???

Scary chit.

LEO 229

imported post

FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:
I did not read this whole thread and so I do not know if anyone mentioned it, but imagine as a CCW holder, you see a guy shooting at a women and her 8 yr. old son in a parking lot...

What would be the first thing you do?

I can only speak for myself, but suffice it to say, there would be one less LEO around.

Imagine your horror thinking you've saved someone's life from a BG, and lo and behold, you've just killed a cop.

How the hell are we supposed to know it's an off duty cop doing this???

Scary chit.

Thanks for bringing this back on topic.. ;)

This is a excellent question because you only get a nano-second to decide... civilian shooting at two other civilians. Is it the husband trying to kill his ex-wife?

Unfortunately, there have been off duty LEOs that have been shot by LEOs. I know of at least two in DC alone.

Taking legal action while off duty can get you shot by someone who has no clue what is going on.

You as someone that is armed must quickly decide.

You know what...? Now you are in the same shoes as a cop is every day! You do not have time to sit back and decide for a few hours and collaborate with people on line behind a computer screen after knowing all the details.

If you do shoot.... you would be killing an undercover cop! If you do not shoot... you let the jilted ex-husband kill his wife!

So let's say you just shoot!! You walk over and then you see a badge around the guys neck you could not see from the angle you were at. :uhoh:

What do you do now? Run home and get on the computer and collaborate with others on what you will do now? :p

The carrying of a firearm is a huge responsibility. Be sure you know what is going on before you jump in. ;)