• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off duty cop in alleged road rage shooting

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

expvideo wrote:
FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:
...Imagine your horror thinking you've saved someone's life from a BG, and lo and behold, you've just killed a cop...
Perhaps you've done both :p

Well...that is possible.

This case may very well just be one of those, we can't pretend they are all angels.

But, if you did do it, wouldn't itthen be hard to ever know whether he was a good or bad cop? All you would haveis her side of the story, which would do nothing for my conscience. I would forever wonder if she waslying.

Deanimator

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
Of what were they guilty?

If NOTHING, why did they need lawyers?

What would have happened to them had they NOT had lawyers?

Other people read what you write; do you?
Sorry, you have lost me....

I am attempting to solicit more information on a Duke Lacrosse team that were victims and needed lawyers.

Maybe the problem is that you are not keeping up with the conversation... you must have missed this one....

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=9579&forum_id=4&jump_to=154247#p154247

Obviously those that are charged with a crime should get a lawyer.I am talking about victims that seem to need one recently.
So then, you might need a lawyer IF you're not "guilty"?

It'd be easier if you just came out and withdrew your previous comment. But then Hillary Clinton has a big problem with that kind of thing too...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If an LEO shot me, my statement would amount to, "That SOB shot me!!" followed by "I want to call my attorney!" Damn skippy I would call my attorney before I made a statement to the authorities if an officer shot me (assuming it was not an obvious ND on the range or something). I can't comment on this woman's rationale obviously, but mine is that I am not going to be doing anything to warrant lethal force used against me, so if I am shot, there has been a serious breakdown somewhere in the system. Not knowing where that breakdown is, I will trust no one on "that side" until I do know.

Also, dealing with legal issues daily, I am well aware that certain things must be said in certain ways at certain times and a misstatement can lead to severe problems. In other words, there is a lot of nuance in legal matters. I want my atty present to guide me through the process of giving evidence and making statement lest I unintentially implicate myself somehow or inadvertently waive any rights.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
And if you are not guilty of anything... why do you need a lawyer anyway?
You're being facetious, right? Please tell me that was tongue in cheek!
Just saying.. I have not yet meet a victim that ran out to get an attorney before reporting an attack on themto the police.
That begs the question, how many citizens have you dealt with who were the victim of an assault or shooting by the police themselves?

I am not asking rhetorically or facetiously. I really am curious if you have ever dealt with such a situation and if so, how the citizen handled the reporting. What was his/her demeanor and reaction during the interview?

To clarify, I am not talking about a Rodney King or a "the officer roughed me up" complaint. I am specifically asking if you have dealt with a citizens where there is clear evidence that the citizen was indeed significantly harmed by an officer (justifiably or not to be determined at that point) and the citizen isn't some whiner criminal screaming about po-po brutality.

I am doubting that comes up very often in the real world as I just don't think there are all that many actual cases of police injuring a citizen in such an ambiguous situation where the "victim" isn't some dirtbag crying about their rights after getting caught. I would think that the number of incidents of LEOs actually assaulting and causing injury to generally LACs to be extremely low.

If you have never worked with a citizen in such a situation, I am then curious how you equate a victim reporting an attack by some street criminal to a victim reporting an attack by an LEO. It seems to me that a citizen would reasonably be much more reticent in reporting or giving a statement in an LEO attack to other LEOs.

Deanimator

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
And if you are not guilty of anything... why do you need a lawyer anyway?
You're being facetious, right? Please tell me that was tongue in cheek!
Just saying.. I have not yet meet a victim that ran out to get an attorney before reporting an attack on themto the police.
That begs the question, how many citizens have you dealt with who were the victim of an assault or shooting by the police themselves?

I am not asking rhetorically or facetiously. I really am curious if you have ever dealt with such a situation and if so, how the citizen handled the reporting. What was his/her demeanor and reaction during the interview?

To clarify, I am not talking about a Rodney King or a "the officer roughed me up" complaint. I am specifically asking if you have dealt with a citizens where there is clear evidence that the citizen was indeed significantly harmed by an officer (justifiably or not to be determined at that point) and the citizen isn't some whiner criminal screaming about po-po brutality.

I am doubting that comes up very often in the real world as I just don't think there are all that many actual cases of police injuring a citizen in such an ambiguous situation where the "victim" isn't some dirtbag crying about their rights after getting caught. I would think that the number of incidents of LEOs actually assaulting and causing injury to generally LACs to be extremely low.

If you have never worked with a citizen in such a situation, I am then curious how you equate a victim reporting an attack by some street criminal to a victim reporting an attack by an LEO. It seems to me that a citizen would reasonably be much more reticent in reporting or giving a statement in an LEO attack to other LEOs.

Funny you should mention that "reticence", given that a woman in New Orleans reported an NOPD officer for brutality. He payed someone to kill her, which that someone in fact did.

Similarly, in the widely publicized savage beating of a female bartender by an off-duty Chicago cop, he was alleged to have used intermediaries to by turns, attempt to buy her silence, and threaten to frame her and others for drug possession. She has in fact engaged the services of an attorney without being charged with a crime... something which LEO 229 no doubt finds baffling...

Rey

imported post

Wow. Some of these posts are just absolutely ridiculous.

I have a pair of reality glasses: The media gets shit wrong. :)what:shocker, I know) If you weren't there - you don't know.

marinedad, good luck finding someone who is literate in the king's english to say you're not biased against LEO's...

Deanimator

imported post

Rey wrote:
Wow. Some of these posts are just absolutely ridiculous.

I have a pair of reality glasses: The media gets shit wrong. :)what:shocker, I know) If you weren't there - you don't know.

marinedad, good luck finding someone who is literate in the king's english to say you're not biased against LEO's...

And cops lie to protect themselves and each other.

We'll see if that happens in this case. As of now, we don't know.

It would be foolish to assume that it never happens or that it always happens.

It is beyond all reasonable doubt that it happens, more often in some places than in others.

Rey

imported post

Deanimator wrote:

It is beyond all reasonable doubt that it happens, more often in some places than in others.

You know what's interesting. I can take out the word "cops" up there, and put in anything:

brothers, sisters, politicians, criminals, Marines...

and not change the meaning of that entire paragraph.

Deanimator

imported post

Rey wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

You know what's interesting. I can take out the word "cops" up there, and put in anything:

The difference of course being that cops have much more ability to cover for themselves and each other. If I do something wrong, my job title "Importer" doesn't carry much weight when it comes to intimidating someone into either not making a complaint against me or acting as a witness. In fact, it's a crime for me to do so. I however, don't have any structural means of gaming the system. And when the system is gamed sufficiently in frequency and magnitude, the system itself ceases to exist. There are places in the country where that cessation of existence is demonstrable. Just ask the family of Michael Pleasance in Chicago.

LEO 229

imported post

Deanimator wrote:

It'd be easier if you just came out and withdrew your previous comment. But then Hillary Clinton has a big problem with that kind of thing too...
You are taking what I said out of context now.

You are so full of rage and hate that you refuse to understand what I am attempting to convey. It is becoming pointless to carry on with you any further. Your chat aboveshows that you truly dislike the police so not much can really be said that you would even agree with.

If I were to say cops wear a uniform... you would certainly say something to the contrary. :?

LEO 229

imported post

Rey wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

I like how he says "all" as there in no possible way he can ever prove that 900,000 cops all lie. I am sure some do.. But not all. And he has included me in all the cover-ups that happen. I have never lied for any other cop and have never been asked to.

Let's change that to "And citizens lie to protect themselves and each other"

LEO 229

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Snipped.....
This is not the place to rant about your mistrust of cops. There are many other boards that would love your membership.

We are trying to discuss a terrible event and learn from it.

Please modify your behavior or your posts will be edited or deleted altogether.

Deanimator

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

You are taking what I said out of context now.

You are so full of rage and hate that you refuse to understand what I am attempting to convey. It is becoming pointless to carry on with you any further. Your chat aboveshows that you truly dislike the police so not much can really be said that you would even agree with.

If I were to say cops wear a uniform... you would certainly say something to the contrary. :?
You sound really defensive and unwilling to address issues.

There's probably a reason for that.

LEO 229

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
You sound really defensive and unwilling to address issues.

There's probably a reason for that.
I believe I already did. But if you are not pleased with the response.. get over it. ;)

Deanimator

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
Snipped.....
This is not the place to rant about your mistrust of cops. There are many other boards that would love your membership.

We are trying to discuss a terrible event and learn from it.

Please modify your behavior or your posts will be edited or deleted altogether.
This is not the place to whine about how unloved and unappreciated you are.

Some cops engage in misconduct, sometimes terrible, despicable misconduct such as the beating of Karolyna Obrycka and the murder of Michael Pleasance. All of the crocodile tears in the world from you won't change that.