• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officers to File Lawsuit Against Badger Guns, TodaysTMJ4.com & JSOnline.com

Ivan Sample

Paul-

You are right! I thought I was being call a troll since I used to live in LaCrosse before moving to Louisville, Ky. Springfieldx40 I apologized to you and I just got worked up for nothing. Goes to show that I am human and make mistakes and when I'm wrong- I'm wrong. You guys and gals have a nice day and maybe its time for me to take a break from this forum.

Ivan Sample

Chairman-

Thanks for the break down! See I learn something new every time I visit this board. I look like I'm smart when I go back and tell the people like me, who really don't know jack sh**. Lol Take care and once again thanks for information.

Archangel

2 more Milwaukee officers expected to sue Badger Guns

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/111331174.html

I mean really?! :banghead:

I can't wait to see the end result of this. I hope Badger Guns counter sues.

The end result is gonna be Badger being closed IF the story does indeed have the facts and they have a store employee on camera allowing the straw purchaser to change his answer on the the question of buying the gun for himself.

If they get out of this one, that employee sure needs a career change because of his/her error in judgement the feds will have them dead to rights then.

Sucks because any transactions I had with Badger they were meticulous about the paperwork especially when I purchased multiple firearms.

Just goes to show how an employee can wreck a business.

JoeSparky

Centurion
The end result is gonna be Badger being closed IF the story does indeed have the facts and they have a store employee on camera allowing the straw purchaser to change his answer on the the question of buying the gun for himself.

If they get out of this one, that employee sure needs a career change because of his/her error in judgement the feds will have them dead to rights then.

Sucks because any transactions I had with Badger they were meticulous about the paperwork especially when I purchased multiple firearms.

Just goes to show how an employee can wreck a business.

Archangel, You MAY be right on the above but...

What if the purchase was made intending for the gun to be a GIFT (which federal law allows, as long as the one receiving the gift is otherwise LEGAL to possess a firearm? One could be confused as to the instructions on the 4473 regarding this and INITIALLY answer "NO" when answering the question about if you are buying the gun for yourself and then legally correct your incorrect answer. IN the case described above it would be 100% legal UNLESS the state would not allow a private transfer without using an ffl.

No, I am not saying that this is what happened... I am just suggesting that the lack of information in the linked article DOES NOT EXCLUDE IT AS A POSSIBILITY!

Please read the caps as emphasis!

Archangel

What if the purchase was made intending for the gun to be a GIFT (which federal law allows, as long as the one receiving the gift is otherwise LEGAL to possess a firearm? One could be confused as to the instructions on the 4473 regarding this and INITIALLY answer "NO" when answering the question about if you are buying the gun for yourself and then legally correct your incorrect answer. IN the case described above it would be 100% legal UNLESS the state would not allow a private transfer without using an ffl.

No, I am not saying that this is what happened... I am just suggesting that the lack of information in the linked article DOES NOT EXCLUDE IT AS A POSSIBILITY!

I understand what you are saying. But I have seen gunshops turn people down for answering that question incorrectly (I used to work at the Shooter's Shop in West Allis). Especially if something seems hinky about a guy/gal. Sucks to go somewhere else I know, but it's called CYA for the gunshop for the exact reason that the story relates, better safe than sorry.

With Bloomberg's goonsquad still traveling about trying to catch gun dealers doing this to the focus put on Badger for the last few years, you'd think all the employees would be on guard about it. But I guess not....

I feel bad for the company, but what can they say after the fact?

protias

I understand what you are saying. But I have seen gunshops turn people down for answering that question incorrectly (I used to work at the Shooter's Shop in West Allis). Especially if something seems hinky about a guy/gal. Sucks to go somewhere else I know, but it's called CYA for the gunshop for the exact reason that the story relates, better safe than sorry.

With Bloomberg's goonsquad still traveling about trying to catch gun dealers doing this to the focus put on Badger for the last few years, you'd think all the employees would be on guard about it. But I guess not....

I feel bad for the company, but what can they say after the fact?
They've denied many requests there. It is impossible to know everyone's intent. Not everyone is a "regular."

Archangel

They've denied many requests there. It is impossible to know everyone's intent. Not everyone is a "regular."

My point exactly. If this guy was not a "regular" all the more reason to pay particular attention to him.

We used to get man/woman couples come in that were obvious attempts at straw purchases. The woman would come to the salesperson and say she wanted to buy a gun, and when asked what kind/brand, the man would start answering the questions. That's a tip off right there.

The same thing could happen for 2 women, or 2 men.

Last edited:
M

McX

we also must remember; anyone can sue anyone, get a conviction or judgement though, that may be another question.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
You assume too much.

We used to get man/woman couples come in that were obvious attempts at straw purchases. The woman would come to the salesperson and say she wanted to buy a gun, and when asked what kind/brand, the man would start answering the questions. That's a tip off right there.....

You assume too much. I know that if my wife wanted to buy a pistol that she would bring me with her to guide her purchase.

Archangel

You assume too much. I know that if my wife wanted to buy a pistol that she would bring me with her to guide her purchase.
When your FFL and therefore your livelihood are on the line. CYA is the watchword. Better a lost customer than a lost business.

The ones I saw were pretty darn obvious. Paraphrasing but something like this:

Lady to clerk: I'd like to buy a handgun.

Clerk to lady: What kind of gun are you looking for?

Man with the lady: That one! The Glock.

Clerk to lady: What caliber are you looking for?

Man with the lady: Foty caliber.

Clerk to lady: Is this firearm for you?

Lady looks at the man, then back at the clerk: Um, yes it is.

Clerk to lady: Do you have any experience with handguns?

Lady to clerk: Not really, no.

Clerk to lady: Perhaps you'd be interested in a revolver? They are simpler to operate.

Man with the lady: No she wants a Glock foty.

Now.... A clerk has to use common sense and make a judgement call.

Bearing in the Bloomberg fiascos with his "stings" and the fact that a gun store can lose their FFL, would YOU sell to that person in the above scenario?

I wouldn't....

BROKENSPROKET

The best way to Legally Correct an Incorrect answer is to start over with a new form. or can you not do that?

Coded-Dude

my last two gun purchases had errors(my fault) that I corrected. the employee checked with his boss and he said it was okay. all I had to do was initial and date the error.

they weren't necessary wrong answers to questions regarding the legality of purchasing a firearm; more like - I meant to write an a that looked like an o.

Archangel

You can make a correction and initial it. But in the Badger scenario ... remember it's on FILM ... IF the situation occurred as described in the article WITH the corresponding video, they got em dead to rights.

Sucks, but it's true...

I've said previously, I am a Badger SUPPORTER. But IF the article is CORRECT in what it claims...sucks but they screwed up.

Crassus

Banned
I just don't understand what they are trying to accomnplish by suing Badger Guns. If Badger did everything legally, they have no grounds for suit. What a waste of court time and tax payers money. Sheesh.

CenTex

Milwaukee police Chief Edward Flynn has been highly critical of the store. He issued a statement saying, "Our officers have every right to seek relief from the civil courts just as much as they have a right to expect justice from the criminal courts. I wish them well as they attempt to affix accountability for their wounds."
I thought they did. The two men who shot them are now in prison.

I was hoping that deep pocket lawsuits had died by now. I guess not. As police officers, they should have been told during training that there was a possibility they could be shot and that no one is to blame but the ones who shot them. But that will never happen in this lawsuit happy country.

Edit: I am very glad that they survived this awful encounter. It is too bad the other two survived and we have to pay for them being taken care of in our concrete hotels.

Edit: "...fix accountability for their wounds"? Wouldn't that be the bullets?

Last edited:

Archangel

I just don't understand what they are trying to accomnplish by suing Badger Guns. If Badger did everything legally, they have no grounds for suit. What a waste of court time and tax payers money. Sheesh.
That's what they are saying. That Badger knowingly made a straw man sale.

If you read the article, they have it on film.

IF, I'll say it again IF what they are saying is indeed corroborated on the film, they got em dead to rights.

Crassus

Banned
That's what they are saying. That Badger knowingly made a straw man sale.

If you read the article, they have it on film.

IF, I'll say it again IF what they are saying is indeed corroborated on the film, they got em dead to rights.

It will be interesting to see just what that film reveals.