• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Omaha Mall Shooting

acrimsontide

imported post

HankT wrote:
Tess wrote:
...Further, it's one thing when a person walks in to a mall with a gun. Don't we, as those who carry, though, train ourselves to be alert to what's going on around us? Does anyone not find it odd that calls to 911 didn't happen until shots rang out? I know I'd be on the phone (unless I was in a good tactical position and needed to shoot) when I saw him stop, handle the weapon, and point (I doubt it was truly "aiming," but it may have been). That's when an armed defender would have had the advantage, not after he's begun firing.

I don't know if it's clear yet when the first 911 call came in vis-à-vis the shooter's activities in the mall.....

But I will say this. It is becoming an increasingly attractive of an idea to establish a protocol (for myself and to be suggested to anyone) that a (non-LEO) man with along gunin a public place is a BIG FAT DANGER SIGNAL REQUIRING IMMEDIATE ACTION.

Appropriate actions upon seeing a (non-LEO) man with along gunin a public place would stem from the presumption that such an event is highly abnormal and totally undesirable to all constituencies involved.

And those appropriate actions would likely not be pleasant for the long gun carrier...

There is no reasonable basis for a person to be walking around a mall with a loaded long gun. I would view such a person as an immediate threat to me and anyone else in the vicinity. I would act accordingly.

A (non-LEO) man with along gunin a public place such as a mall, residential area, business district= DANGER.

Obviously, some public places such as gun shops, Cabela's, gun shows would not be relevant to my suggestion.
Hank T,

I would carry this one step further and call in for verification even if the person appeared to be LEO!! Unless something was already going on, why would a LEO be walking a mall with a long gun? It could be a LEO imposter oreven a LEO gone off the deep end. A call to verify/report would certainly be in order.

PT111

imported post

I do not know the answer to this so I am asking but is it illegal to carry a loaded long gun (rifle or shotgun) into a mall? Is there a difference between carrying a long gun and a handgun in the legalities. I know everyone it talking about his actions but should a long gun raise suspisions where a hand gun would not?

acrimsontide

imported post

I don't know about the legalities however, in my opinion, I am not too concerned when a see a HOLSTERED handgun in a mall. IF the handgun was UNHOLSTERED and being carried around in a mall then the handgun would raise the same red flag as a long gun. Legally carried and holstered, not an immediate threat, in the hand, a definite threat!!!

imperialism2024

imported post

PT111 wrote:
I do not know the answer to this so I am asking but is it illegal to carry a loaded long gun (rifle or shotgun) into a mall? Is there a difference between carrying a long gun and a handgun in the legalities. I know everyone it talking about his actions but should a long gun raise suspisions where a hand gun would not?

I've been thinking about this too.

Perhaps someone is OCing a rifle particularly for self-defense against situations like this. Not likely, mind you, but neither is a person's choice to OC a handgun. A long gun is just a lot more obvious...

imperialism2024

imported post

acrimsontide wrote:
I don't know about the legalities however, in my opinion, I am not too concerned when a see a HOLSTERED handgun in a mall. IF the handgun was UNHOLSTERED and being carried around in a mall then the handgun would raise the same red flag as a long gun. Legally carried and holstered, not an immediate threat, in the hand, a definite threat!!!

I didn't see whather it was in his hand or not... I agree I'd have a problem as well if someone was walking in with a long gun in hand. Slung over the shoulder, I don't see much of a difference between that and a holstered handgun...

Marco

imported post

illegal to carry a loaded long gun (rifle or shotgun) into a mall?

you would have to check State, County and Local laws.
AMall can't make laws only policies regarding their property.

someone with a rifle wouldn'tcause me alarm

however someone pointing a rifle and in this caseprobably acting suspicious would

wouldI engage?
it would depend on my location to the shooter and a few other factors

edit:

typo's

acrimsontide

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
illegal to carry a loaded long gun (rifle or shotgun) into a mall?

someone with a rifle wouldn'tcause me alarm
Personally someone with a rifle in a shopping mall, even if it were slung over their shoulder would make me very cautious!! As HankT mentioned, if it were a gunshop or Cabella's etc., probably not, but a rifle being carried in a regular shopping mall would defintely put me on red alert. I am not saying that the RTKABA does not apply to rifles but I think there is a time and place for everything and a rifle in a shopping a mall would, in my opinion, be out of place.

Agent 47

imported post

Anyone see this, Another punk worthless kid went to the Omaha mall and shot several people. This makes me sick, this jerk off got fired from his job at McDonald's and was dumped by his girlfriend so he decides to end his worthless life. But rather than just kill himself he goes and ends the lives of several innocent bystanders. This is why I never step foot outside my house without carrying at least two guns, Shit-heads like this need to be dispatched before they can get a shot off.

bohdi

imported post

HankT wrote:
Remember:

A (non-LEO) man with along gunin a public place such as a mall, residential area, business district= DANGER.

Hank I'd like to take this one step further. A LEO person with a long gun in a public place such as a mall, residential area, business district = DANGER.

Why? Because that LEO person is probably there for a reason, which means theres DANGER somewhere nearby, lol. I don't see LEOs and long guns up close and personal often. In fact, I don't know about any of you, but the last time I've seen LEO's with long guns, and half sized ones in personwas when their station was under siege out here by my house and I couldn't get home.

You also brought up a good point though. Just because of the presence of a long gun doesn't always equal danger - if they bought it at a shop in the mall for example, or were returning it to said shop. Granted, I'd be paying a lot more attention to that person in that situation, just because you don't know what they are going to do.

Bryzantium

imported post

First time poster,long time lurker. I thought this was open carry,not open carry what I do or we freak out. Whats the difference between these statement and those of the anti's who freak when they see our handguns in public?

I do understand that OCing a long gun would be unusual but not alarming,Until actions dictate it should. As always though any kind of abnormal behavior is cause for keeping an eye out in public.Awareness is a prime factor in safety,but to call 911 as soon as a long gun is seen is the same thing anti's would do for handguns.

expvideo

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
Anyone see this, Another punk worthless kid went to the Omaha mall and shot several people. This makes me sick, this jerk off got fired from his job at McDonald's and was dumped by his girlfriend so he decides to end his worthless life. But rather than just kill himself he goes and ends the lives of several innocent bystanders. This is why I never step foot outside my house without carrying at least two guns, Shit-heads like this need to be dispatched before they can get a shot off.
+1. What more can I say?

acrimsontide

imported post

Bryzantium wrote:
First time poster,long time lurker. I thought this was open carry,not open carry what I do or we freak out. Whats the difference between these statement and those of the anti's who freak when they see our handguns in public?

I do understand that OCing a long gun would be unusual but not alarming,Until actions dictate it should. As always though any kind of abnormal behavior is cause for keeping an eye out in public.Awareness is a prime factor in safety,but to call 911 as soon as a long gun is seen is the same thing anti's would do for handguns.
You are correct that the "right" applies to long guns however a "slung over the shoulder" long gun is not the usual thing to do. The fact that it is unusual draws attention and would make me more wary of the situation. While there are hundreds of thousands of us who carry handguns either concealed or open, there are likely only a handfull who carry a rifle slung over their shoulder for self defense. Even the LEOs leave their long guns in their vehicles unless they feel an immediate need for them. Even seeing a known LEO with a long gun in a mall would create concern because he/she would not likely have the long gun unless there was some immediate danger. Just my opinion.

RogueWarrior

imported post

Ok guys and girls heres my two cents worth If I was armed and the shooting started firstly I'd get my wife out of the way and then I'd see if I could get a couple of rounds off. Then while the BG was tring to see where the shoots ws coming from I'd move to another safe place and then I'd try and take Him or her down

compmanio365

imported post

I have said it many a time, and I think most of us feel the same way; I hope I never have to shoot anyone, but when you hear things like this, all you can think of is, "What if I had been there, maybe I could have made a difference, saved a life, who knows..."

I think all the time about the Tacoma mall shooting and what would have happened if I had gone to the mall that day like I had planned.....in one way I'm very glad I didn't.....but in another way, I wish I would have been there, maybe to end it sooner......it eats at you to think about it.

Carrying a weapon is both a blessing and a curse......

DeadCenter

imported post

I know it is soooo easy for the media to attack the guns, but when is someone going to wake up and say "You know ... it might be a bad idea to take hormonal teens who already have emotional issues and give them drugs which surpress their emotions including fear of death and compassion for others!!!!!!"

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHGHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Clapping.gif

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As to the rifle carry issue, it's like real estate - location, location, location.

In a shopping mall, clearly posted "no firearms", I'm calling 911 if I see someone walking around with an uncased rifle. Mentally healthy, law-abiding citizens are not going to so opensly and obviously flaunt that posting. That's what makes us "law-abiding". In Bass Pro Shop or at the State Park I'm not even going to think about it unless I see something else to kick off suspicions.

Marco

imported post

snip:
Personally someone with a rifle in a shopping mall, even if it were slung over their shoulder would make me very cautious!!

Some of us don't alarm that easy, I have spent time in areas were a LG carried/slung was the norm
I wish the OC'ing of a LG wasacceptable in the US like in Israel
I would just think he chose to exercise his rights just like I have, except his doing it with a rifle.

The persons actions would alarm me, not what he is/isn't carrying.
I know someone that OC'd a belt feed machine gun on a city bus and no one called the police, why because he didn't do anything wrong.

the mere present of a rifle doesn't make the person a threat.

abnormal behaviour by a armed or unarmed person will cause me to keep a watchful eye
(in the sully district police shooting, i would have called LE becasue he was lurking in the woods, one could believe he was illegally hunting in a residental neighborhood)