• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Online CHP Course Declined in Albemarle County

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Mike wrote:
....embarass them and get them in teh newspapers for refusing to follow the law.
I doubt this is going to happen with any of our local newspapers. They won't take any interest whatsoever in embarrassing a new Circuit Court clerk and newly appointed Circuit Court judge. Both are good people, I really hate to see this controversy flaring up.
Good people who break the law, have to learn not to bend over to pick up the soap just like bad people:uhoh:

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Mike wrote:
....embarass them and get them in teh newspapers for refusing to follow the law.
I doubt this is going to happen with any of our local newspapers. They won't take any interest whatsoever in embarrassing a new Circuit Court clerk and newly appointed Circuit Court judge. Both are good people, I really hate to see this controversy flaring up.
It seems you know them Sheriff...any chance you could help clear this up?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I doubt this is going to happen with any of our local newspapers. They won't take any interest whatsoever in embarrassing a new Circuit Court clerk
New? You mean Shipp is not the Clerk anymore? Who is the new clerk - when did she/he take over??

Sheriff

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
It seems you know them Sheriff...any chance you could help clear this up?
Yes. I have taken it upon myself to ask the judge to review this subject. If anything is broken, I am absolutely sureshe will fixit. She is an extremely busy person, but I am sure she will get around to it very shortly.

I myself am not familair with what takes place before or after a Concealed Handgun Permit is denied or a training certificate is rejected. I've never had any trouble getting a Concealed Handgun Permit or renewal, but of coursemy training was almost three decades as a sworn deputy sheriff.

Sheriff

imported post

Mike wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
I doubt this is going to happen with any of our local newspapers. They won't take any interest whatsoever in embarrassing a new Circuit Court clerk
New? You mean Shipp is not the Clerk anymore? Who is the new clerk - when did she/he take over??
Yes, she is clerk. The election was just a year ago. That's new to me. :D

leprechaun117

imported post

Well, he finally convinced them to give him the temp permit. Conversation went as follows (I'm told)

Jason- hi, my name is jason, I need to pick up my CHP.
Secretary- ok, well it's not ready.
J- alright, then I'll take my temporary permit.
S- we have 60 days until you can get that.
J- (pulls out printed VSP website) well the state police website says it's 45 days....
S- that's wrong, it's 60 days.
J- so who do I talk to about getting the state police website fixed?
S- um, just talk to Debbie (Shipp)

Jason- hi, I'm jason, I need to pick up my CHP.
Debbie- I told you I would call when it's ready, the judge still hasn't decided what to do.
J- alright, then I'd like my temporary permit.
D- we have 60 days before that has to be issued.
J- ok, the state police website clearly says 45 days (hands her the highlighted page)
D- let me go talk to the judge.
J- alright.

She comes back, signs a photocopy of his application, slides it across her desk, never says anything to jason. He says thanks a lot, and walks out. While walking down the hallway Debbie made a smart comment to the secretary that he couldn't understand.

This just gets better and better.... 55 days and counting...

TFred

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
Well, he finally convinced them to give him the temp permit. Conversation went as follows (I'm told)

J- (pulls out printed VSP website) well the state police website says it's 45 days....

Debbie- I told you I would call when it's ready, the judge still hasn't decided what to do.
J- ok, the state police website clearly says 45 days (hands her the highlighted page)
J- alright.

She comes back, signs a photocopy of his application, slides it across her desk, never says anything to jason. He says thanks a lot, and walks out. While walking down the hallway Debbie made a smart comment to the secretary that he couldn't understand.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if you had taken a printout of the 308 section of code instead?

It's a bit harder to say "sorry, that law is just wrong!"

TFred

leprechaun117

imported post

TFred wrote:
leprechaun117 wrote:

J- alright.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if you had taken a printout of the 308 section of code instead?

It's a bit harder to say "sorry, that law is just wrong!"

TFred

That certainly would have been interesting. Maybe I'll just mail them a book of virginia law and see what they say.

Sleepless

imported post

ed wrote:
My dad just tok the online course and will submit paperwork for FxCo. I will report back.. (even though dad is retired army bird).. that was many years ago.

ed from what I have read here by other people, he can claim military status and provide them with his DD214 I think it was and that should be all the proof they would need because to my knowledge that is something they will accept no matter how long time ago since separation from the army.

Good luck to your dad btw. =o)

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Sleepless wrote:
ed wrote:
My dad just tok the online course and will submit paperwork for FxCo. I will report back.. (even though dad is retired army bird).. that was many years ago.

ed from what I have read here by other people, he can claim military status and provide them with his DD214 I think it was and that should be all the proof they would need because to my knowledge that is something they will accept no matter how long time ago since separation from the army.

Thanks.. he can.. He wanted to take the online course.. and he will use that certificate to test the system.. he can always fall back on his DD214. Thanks. Now we have to figure out what to get him...

Sleepless

imported post

ed wrote:
Sleepless wrote:
ed wrote:

Thanks.. he can.. He wanted to take the online course.. and he will use that certificate to test the system.. he can always fall back on his DD214. Thanks. Now we have to figure out what to get him...

Well it depends on if he is gonna conceal carry or open carry, if he is gonna open carry then I would say a 1911 but that is just my thought, but for conceal carry he should look around and see what he likes and also if he is gonna carry one open or concealed and one CC Bug.

Up here where I am in Canada we have been trying for a very long time to get CHP back again and it is a neverending struggle against the liberal parties that wants to turn Canada into a nanny state galore so you guys are soo lucky. =o)

Have fun and enjoy every day. =o)

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Thanks.. I carry a Kimber 1911.. I think dad just wants a "near the bed" gun.. I don't know if he is going to be the "carry" type. Baby steps.. we will see.. I am thinking an airweight revolver maybe with lasr grips.

Goliath

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I think I see the problem here possibly. There's also a new clerk in this court. I think she is the one dropping the ball. The applicant needs to speak with Judge Cheryl Higgins in person, IMHO. What is going on does not sound like a mistake Judge Higgins would make.

Actually, I find that it is better to drop things on people from a great height then to try and push them up the line. When I got my origional permit in Albemarle County, I was told the judge was busy and he would get to it when he got to it. So I called the Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court's office. I talked to his clerk and his clerk took my info and transfered me to the board of judicial review. Wonder of wonders, I got a call 3 hours later saying my permit was ready. I would suggest that route! It worked for me.

Leroy Rountree Hassell, Sr.

Chief Justice* Supreme Court of Virginia

100 NorthNinth Street

Richmond, VA 23219

804-786-645

Goliath