• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry "dress code"

ps1996

I'm 18 and I do think it's a good idea for folks my age to dress mature. Let's be honest if you saw an 18 year old at your local walmart open carrying a handgun with sagging pants, bandanas, and a tilted hat it's going to cause people to become uneasy. Now yes I know everyone has a right to their 2A( as long as their is no criminal history), I know some of you are going to bash on me for this but that's bound to happen. :)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm 18 and I do think it's a good idea for folks my age to dress mature. Let's be honest if you saw an 18 year old at your local walmart open carrying a handgun with sagging pants, bandanas, and a tilted hat it's going to cause people to become uneasy. Now yes I know everyone has a right to their 2A( as long as their is no criminal history), I know some of you are going to bash on me for this but that's bound to happen. :)

Open carrying safely in a holster in a get-up such as you describe would be so out of place as to cause me to a) ROFLMAO and possibly 2) think you were some plainclothes/undercover cop who just didn't get it. And then ROFLMAO again.

Seriously, keep your scenarios close to the realm of believability, OK?

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
If the Second Amendment is for everyone, why the prejudices as to what someone wears?

You can wear whatever you like. There is no dress code.

My only concern is that by virtue of the simple act of openly carrying a firearm, I become an instant ambassador for all of you, whether I like it or not. How I dress and behave can have both positive and negative impacts on all firearms owners.

If I were the only one deviating from a certain norm (meaning statistical average, and not any sort of requirement), the impact would be miniscule.

If a sizeable percentage of us dress down and behave badly, the impact is real. While it won't impact the legality of our choices, it will impact the hurdles we must jump through in order to carry.

We have enough hurdles to leap without ignorant and uncaring actions of those few who dress like slobs, behave badly, and don't care about it one way or the other. They drag us all down.

Put another way, we'll gain far more yardage when the general public welcomes our company than we will if we're loathed for anything other than the fact we carry a firearm.

Last edited:

wittmeba

It is my personal opinion that human beings are snobs by nature. People seem to try to find things to use to elevate themselves by putting down others. You know...

-He only has a Chevy but I have a Cadillac ...

-He is living in a motel in BFE but I have a penthouse apartment in New York....

-My wife is a hottie but his girl friend barks during a full moon....

And....

-He wears old dirty clothes but I wear new $1500 suits....

Now a comment:

If people would decide for themselves what to wear while OCing due to what ever purpose they have... such as intentionally wanting to present a positive appearance that caters to the sartorial snobbishness of the people in public, or for personal physical comfort, or just because those are the only clothes/type of clothes they have, or because they are dirty from working.... then they most certainly should wear whatever clothes they have/want to for whatever reasons they might have.

But I try not to become one of the sartorial snobs myself when it comes to what others wear while OCing.

I love it! Sometimes we do both in the same sentence. I think of when someone buys a new vehicle. The price is high to reflect on their level of living but lower to reflect their negotiating skills.

- That's a $55,000 truck but I got it for $47,500 out the door.

Last edited: