• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Fredericksburg Area

Tricorn

imported post

Went to Giant on Courthouse Rd (Rte 208) in Spotsy. Went to the pharmacy to pickup a couple of prescriptions. Then did our grocery shopping. Petty much covered the store. Spent about 45 minutes getting everything on the list. No problems.

Tricorn

imported post

Started the day OCing for a late lunch at George's Pizza at Five Mile Fork in Spotsy. Chatted with owners about the weather.

Then went to Giant Food on Courthouse Rd (Rte 208). First to the pharmacy and then shopped for a couple of items. Short conversation with pharmacy assistant about my prescription.

From there, went to Cold Stone Creamery to get ice cream for the wife. Took awhile for the order to be filled (big order). Joked with the counterperson and had a brief conversation with the manager (or owner) about my hat.

No problems.

Tricorn

imported post

Needed some "stuff" for a few repairs around the house. This morning went outside OCing (beautiful weather)and found a set of car keys on our property. It had a Rosner Toyota ID tag on it, so off to Rosner Toyota on Rte 1 in Fredericksburg. Walked into the service area and after standing in the middle of it for a few minutes, a gentleman in a Rosner outfit came over and asked if I needed help. I told him my story and he said they couldcontact the owner and he thanked me for bringing it in.

From there it was on to Lowe's in Southpoint II in Spotsy to pickup my supplies. Took me awhile to find everything, wandered around a bit, paid and left.

Then it was on to Giant Food on Courthouse Rd (Rte 208) for groceries. Didn't have a big list, but managed to fill-up the cart. Pretty much went aisle by aisle. Spent quite a bit of time in the store. Checked out and went home.

This evening, went to The Log Cabin Restaurant on Rte 1 in Stafford for dinner. Had a great meal. By the time we left, place was starting to fill up. Nice ending to a good Saturday.

Tricorn

imported post

Spent the day OCing. Started the day by going to BJ's on Rte 3 this morning. We (wife and I) spent well over an hour there. She was pushing a cart and I was dragging one of the big flat things. We were all over the store. By the time we checked out, her cart was full and my thing was loaded (hard to get it rolling but once started it was even harder to stop - goes from an immovable object to an irresistable force). Went home and unloaded.

After lunch,went for groceries. Shopped at Ukrop's on Rte 3. Spent about an hour there going aisle by aisle. Checked out and went home to unload.

After a nap (getting old - need to rest between excursions), went for an early dinner. Went to Longhorn Steakhouse at Southpoint II. Empty when we got there but it was filling up by the time we left.

Since we were already in Southpoint II, the wife wanted to go over to Cold Stone Creamery to get her supply of ice cream for the weekend. People coming and going while we were there, mostly families.

No problems.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Not exactly F'burg, but the NoVa OC thread seems to have dropped off the charts... I was CC'ing today (didn't want to tuck the silk shirt in), ran into fellow VCDL member Bob S. OC'ing in Dale City Safeway (Minnieville and Dale Blvd). Introduced myself and chatted for a moment.

Supposed to perhaps be hitting 90 this weekend, gonna be starting to OC more again.

Tricorn

imported post

Had to pick up a few groceries, went to Giant Food on Courthouse Rd in Spotsy. Shopped, paid, and went out to the truck. Another trucked parked a few spaces up and I saw a woman get out and start toward the store. Wife and I started putting the bags in the truck bed when I heardthe womanask, " Pardon me, may I ask you a question?" I thought, "Here we go -why are you carrying afirearm", turned and replied politely, "Sure, go ahead". She wanted to know where I got the tonneau cover for my truck. She said she checked with the dealer for her truckand he gave her some song and dance about her not being able to use the full bed if she got a hard cover, that she should get a soft cover. I told her where I got mine and where they are located. We chatted a few more minutes. She thanked me and left. Another uneventful outing while OCing.

Tricorn

imported post

Truck needed scheduled maintenance. Dropped it off at Rosner Toyota on Rte 1. Spent about 5 minutes in the service area. Went home to do yard work. Went back to Rosner early afternoon to pick it up. Went down to the cashier which is in the waiting area. Waiting area was quite crowded. Cashier didn't have the paper work, so I went to the service area to find the service rep. Waited a few minutes for him to complete the papers. Couple of vehicles pulled in while I was waiting. Took the paper work to the cashier. There was now a line so I stood there waiting, about5 minutes. Noticed a couple of people in the waiting area kind of looking me up and down. Paid and left.

Tricorn

imported post

Wife was running low on ice cream so that meant a trip to Cold Stone Creamery in Southpoint II in Spotsy. We arrived around noon, it was cool and raining pretty good. Place was empty -just us, the countergirl, and the owner. Exchanged greetings with the owner. Chatted with the countergirl while she was preparing my wife's order. Paid and left.

Tricorn

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
I'm going to have to stop following this thread. It is so incredibly boring! :)
No SWAT, no screaming women, no stampedes to get away from the "gunman" in the store... Not even a car chase. I've had it, I'm logging off and turning on COPS on TV :-D

What can I say? I am a quiet, boring person living in a quiet, boring place. They don't call Fredericksburg "Dead Fred" for nothing.

Although, yesterday the neighbor's dog did bark at me while I was OCing. He was too lazy to run away or chase me though.

Tricorn

imported post

Went to Central Park in Fredericksburg this evening. Westarted withdinner at Bonefish Grill. Good size crowd. Then we went to the Cingular/AT&T store for new cell phones. We had one old 1995-era phone and we wanted to get something alittle more modern. Plus we wanted to get a phone for each of us. We looked around a little. Salesman came over to assist us. We told him what we wanted. Decided on phones and a plan and then started the process of getting the service setup. I was in the middle of the startup process when I heard my wife say to him something about me being a big supporter of the Second Amendment. F9inally got both phones setup, got the necessary accoutrements, paid and left. We were in the store about a good hour. When we left, I asked my wife what the 2nd Amendment comment was for. She said the salesman had just noticed my firearm and asked her about it. This was a full half hour into our ordeal. It took him 30 minutes to notice a 4" barrelled S&W N-frame on my hip. I was wearing dark shirt and pants, using a light tan OWB leather holster. From there we headed home.

BigGlock

imported post

Interesting topic! Although uneventful, that isa good thing. I wish we had more open carriers here in MO. I just started CC'ing although I definately don't travel around town as often as you do! One trip per week is plenty for me. I did ask a local county cop about his opinion on open carry and he was fine with it - actually liked it more than CC. Here in my little town, OC would probably not cause any issues. Violent crime is rare to non-existent so most people don't feel the need to carry here. There are probably more CC'ers than I would think, though.

If you keep posting, I'll keep reading. Come to MO and tell me how they respond to OC!

Tricorn

imported post

Went to Vinny's Grill and Pizza on Leavells Rd for dinner. We (Wife and I) chatted with one of the waitresses with whom we have become friendly. She had just returned from her vacationin Puerto Rico and told us all about it. Everyone there has always been super-friendly. After eating we went to Ukrop's on Rte 3 for groceries. Did our usual, went aisle by aisle, were there about 45 minutes or so. Checked out and then home. While unloading the groceries, one of the neighbor's was walking by and asked what kind of firearmI wascarrying. I replied,"Smith & Wesson."He asked, "Revolver?" I replied, "Yes." He gave me the thumbs up and was on his way. Finished unloading and then the storms moved in.

Tricorn

imported post

Started off the evening by going to Ruby Tuesday's in Lee's Hill Center on Rte 1 in Spotsy for dinner. Decent size crowd. When we finished, Wife said she needed some "accessories" for her new office so we went to the Super Target at Cosner's Corner. She wanted a microwave and a small refrigerator. We wandered around the store looking for small appliances. It was our first time there and we had no idea where anything is. Finally found them and she picked out what she wanted and then on to the checkout. While checking out, I heard a little kid a couple of checkout counters away say, "Mommy, look at the pirate." Kids see a tricorn hat and all they can think of is a pirate. He didn't look old enough to be in school so I let it go, but I've heard the same from high schoolers. Usually I'll say, "You must go to public school." 999 times out of a thousand they will say, "Yes, how did you know." I'll reply, "Because you obviously know nothing about American history," at which point they get a "I don't understand" look and I'll explain it to them. After Target, it was on to Giant Food on Courthouse Rd to pick up a prescription for the wife and get a graduation card for the nephew. Paid and then homeward bound.

Tricorn

imported post

OCed at Vinny's Grill and Pizza on Leavells Rd for dinner. Then on to Ukrop's on Rte 3 for groceries. Shopped for about 45 minutes. Then checked out - I got the cashier who couldn't run the register, she tried twice and was unable to enter the correct amount of money tendered.Aftershe gave me change (too much), I gave herthe excessback and gave her a lesson in simple subtraction.Homeward bound to unload.

Tricorn

imported post

Wife wanted to go out to lunch today. First we stopped at Wawa on Rte 1 and Harrison Rd in Spotsy for gas. Place was very busy, number of out-of-state plates. Then on to Sam's Subs and Pizza on Rte 17 in Stafford for lunch. One large goup there eating. Wife's supply of ice cream at home was empty, so from Sam's it was on to Cold Stone Creamery in Southpoint II in Spotsy for restocking. Very busy, people coming and going, lots of kids. Then home.

Tricorn

imported post

Went grocery shopping at Ukrop's on Rte 3 in Spotsy. Needed to get stuff for the 4th, had along list. We went aisle by aisle. Spent over an hour there. Wife ran into a colleague from work. Chatted with the guy bagging our groceries.

pieceKeeper

imported post

"..her eyes followed me as I was leaving - all the way out the door and to my truck."

A grizly thought... how DID she do that???

Did you, at least, try to drive over them?

Tricorn

imported post

Went to dinner at Bivio Luciano Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria on Courthouse Rd and Leavells Rd in Spotsy.Then on to Giant Food on Courthouse Rd to pick up a few last minute items for Independence Day. Then home.

Tricorn

imported post

Went to dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse in Southpoint II in Spotsy. The manager greeted us at the door and welcomed us back. Our waitress said it was good to see us again. After dinner we went to Cold Stone Creamery (also in Southpoint II) so the wife could get her weekend supply of ice cream. The countergal welcomed us back. We chatted and joked with both the countergal and the counterguy while they were putting my wife's order together. Then home.