• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Fairfax County

RaiderRey

Went to Dicks Sportings Goods, Fair Lakes Circle Fairfax, VA 22033.

While I was shopping, I noticed a store manager quickly walking with a Father and his son. Curiosly I watched and wondered what the ruckus was about. As I observed the store manager speaking with another staff member, I came to realize that it was probably me. Now it may be coincidence but I can only assume this since they kept looking my way. They continued to lurk around me for about 5 minutes and then eventually walked away. As I was in the check out line, one of store managers opened a cashier and called for next in line. It so happened to be me. The store manager was courteous and I left Dicks peacefully.

BTW, I called before I went over and asked if the store was Open Carry friendly. The lady on the phone said, "Yes we are" and with my recent experience, I would say she was right.

:dude:

hunter45

While I was shopping, I noticed a store manager quickly walking with a Father and his son. Curiosly I watched and wondered what the ruckus was about. As I observed the store manager speaking with another staff member, I came to realize that it was probably me. Now it may be coincidence but I can only assume this since they kept looking my way. They continued to lurk around me for about 5 minutes and then eventually walked away. As I was in the check out line, one of store managers opened a cashier and called for next in line. It so happened to be me. The store manager was courteous and I left Dicks peacefully.

BTW, I called before I went over and asked if the store was Open Carry friendly. The lady on the phone said, "Yes we are" and with my recent experience, I would say she was right.

First of all, never ask a store about their policy.

Second, there are a number of people from here that OC at the Fair Lakes Dick's. They (the managers/employees) are all very used to it.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Raider,

Don't take the criticism too hard about calling a store and asking if they are OC friendly.

The underlying reasons for not asking are two-fold:

1. As Ed implies, OC is a basic human right and should need no more permission than wearing a blue shirt or breathing.

2. When an OCer asks whether OC is OK, he is asking the recipient to make a decision. If there is no policy--which there often is not--the easiest and safest answer for the recipient is to say "no."

I remember an encounter I had in a small mom-and-pop store four years ago. I shopped for a bit for snacks for a road trip. When I got the counter, Mom and Pop were both behind the counter. Pop's objection was delivered sideways--a comment about not knowing whether a gun carrier was a good guy or not.

Obviously, had I called and asked, I would have received a "no."

But, he came to a complete stop mentally when I told him something like, "Oh, you can always tell the good guys because the bad guys don't wear holsters" and further explained that bad guys wanted nothing to do with having to explain to a cop why they are wearing an empty holster. (ditch the gun leaving a crime scene)

He wasn't completely handled by my answer, but it went a ways towards shifting his thinking.

sol

I have OC'ed there lots and never had a problem. Several visits for different fitness and gaming equipment. They have all been very friendly each time and helpful with some of the more confusing products.
I recall one of our other members had a negative experience when attempting to make a firearm purchase (iirc) due to having to fill out additional forms than required by law to complete a sale. I've never had a problem.

bohdi

Raider,

You'll find that "most" places in NOVA are pretty OC friendly. There will be exceptions to every rule of course. I've covered just about all of the Centreville area over the last three or so years. A few of the others on here have as well. Other than CostCo off 50, which I've been asked to leave while carry at (a whole other thread is dedicated to this somewhere), I haven't had much bad luck up and down Rte 50 or along 28....so that should help your confidence Lots of others here have paved the way to make it easier for you. Hope that helps you relax a little. I felt strange at first when I first started posting here and OCing. You'll find it's a fun and interesting experience. Just think ahead about how you might handle a bad one, it will help you when you actually do. Reading these posts is one way to do that. Bottom line, keep your cool and don't escalate things uneccissarily. You can paper whip someone after the fact.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for your input.

I'm just sooo surprised that I've received more flak here in the forum than OCing.

:eek:

Lots of grumpy ol' men here - myself-included - who come across a bit too strong when repeating what we think are SOPs. We tend to forget that we too started w/o all of this great wisdom and experience that we so nobly acquired. :lol:

Team up with someone for an outing or two - check out the dinners and such. Before long this'll all be old hat to you and you'll be advising the next new guy. Appreciate you're being here.

bohdi

Raider,

They use kids gloves because you are new. Wait till you say something really stupid :) It's easy to forget not everyone "knows" things. But do yourself a favor and use the search function of the board to scan threads for similiar things you might be curious about asking. You might find it could save you some ribbing :)

CHILINVLN

Are people still OCing in Fairfax County? :banana:

If a situation were to arise, I would much rather have the element of surprise. On that note, my preference is CC. I completely support OC, I just opt not too based on my experience with both.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I would much rather have the element of surprise. On that note, my preference is CC.
Here is the surprise. You would be hard pressed to find attacks on Open Carriers. Bad guys don't like people with guns. They want easy victims that don't fight back. The SURPRISE that you will find is that now you look like ANY OTHER unarmed sheep and have increased your chances of being attacked by NOT showing your "teeth".

SURPRISE!

The first step to winning the fight is to not have it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
The SURPRISE that you will find is that now you look like ANY OTHER unarmed sheep and have increased your chances of being attacked by NOT showing your "teeth".

SURPRISE!

This is exactly the answer I give to those who raise the CC vs OC issue with me. I do both though most always, I OC. On one website, a member who was adamantly opposed to OC'ing took the position of accusing OC'ers of deliberate intimidation of the public at large by their actions. His argument was that by purposely showing your sidearm, you were deliberately intimidating people and perhaps were borderline guilty of brandishing.

It's sad we have this sort of dissension between CC'ers and OC'ers.

Walt_Kowalski

Here is the surprise. You would be hard pressed to find attacks on Open Carriers. Bad guys don't like people with guns. They want easy victims that don't fight back. The SURPRISE that you will find is that now you look like ANY OTHER unarmed sheep and have increased your chances of being attacked by NOT showing your "teeth".

SURPRISE!

This FTW :D

Tess

Founder's Club Member
If a situation were to arise, I would much rather have the element of surprise. On that note, my preference is CC. I completely support OC, I just opt not too based on my experience with both.

Let me be at least one that says "to each his own". I don't agree with your reasoning, but it is your choice.

usnvet86

Hmmmm ... I may have to invest in a voice recorder. Thanks for the great tip !

As for being up to date where places are prohibited. I do try and research FIRST and plan ahead before I open carry at various spots. I'm not that gutsy where I will just randomly walk into an establishment. So hopefully I can avoid any nasty confrontations. <fingers crossed>

I like your thread specific to the area. I’m brand new to this forum and just recently moved to Alexandria from the dreaded Maryland side of the greater DC area. I will be CC mostly, but will OC around my neighborhood stores where I have previously researched. To reply to your post. I have been to Walmart, ABC and 7 Eleven all in one trip. This is the area on route 1 in Alexandria South of the Beltway. I bought alcohol from both ABC and 7 Eleven and just some random things someone gets from Walmart. No problems at all, I may have worried a lady, but she didnt call the cops, thumbs up!. The guys at ABC may have been a little nervous, but no one said anything and I bet after a few more visits they will be alright with it. Walmart was crowded and almost didn’t go in because I didn’t want a mass panic. 7 Eleven was dead. No issues from employee’s.

I almost went into Target today but I had my 16 mo daughter with me so I kept it in the truck. Dont need angry mothers pointing fingers.