• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Fairfax County

King Uni Verse

I know it's been repeated until some folks are wondering if it still needs to be mentioned - but have a digital oice recorder going when you step out the door. I learned that the hard way. I have also learned, when things look like they are headed downhill, to start a running commentary on what is happening and who is doing what. Sort of like you are an old-time radio news reporter on the scene. (BTW, some of the cops I have had encounters with (none turning out badly) seem to dislike that very much.:D)

If you are going to use a video recorder, for the love of all that is holy please do not keep shifting to shots of the ground or the sky or some object ten feet to the right or left of the person you are dealing with. And use something like Qik to preserve a copy even if they seize your recorder.

There is not much you can do on the street about c
ops and their decisions about what to do/how to do it. All that comes after the fact. If there is a need to "do something" be sure you either put it on paper or get it recorded.

Now that we have finished with discussing tactics - are you truely being harassed most times you step out on the streets? Have you filed a formal complaint? What waas the outcome?

stay safe.

Basically I had four kids young, sold some Marijuana to support my family when I was young and dumb, all of which are misdemeanor charges, but the Police, for whatever reason, see me as a threat to their manhood, one officer actually explained he was upset that he was 30+ and never had a girlfriend, and I was 20 with three kids. I have tried speaking with superior officers, but they always say it's part of thier job, one incident involved an officer shining his spot light in my bedroom at 3:00am to instigate an encounter. I have a watch that records video and sound, and I'm pretty sure the law states I have to inform them they're being recorded right? I understand the whole weighing of exercising a right vs. the trouble I may encounter, I just don't want this pistol taken as well. Hopefully the magistrate understands if anything bad does go down .. ... Then again, they love the bail money. Any technicality they may find other than not being a felon? I read something about domestic violence, but never had one of those, anything hidden within the law books they may try to bring against me?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I have a watch that records video and sound, and I'm pretty sure the law states I have to inform them they're being recorded right?
Virginia is a one party state. As long as one party to a conversation gives you permission to record it is legal. You give yourself permission to record to record your conversations, you do not need the other parties permission, and no need to tell them you are recording.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Virginia is a one party state. As long as one party to a conversation gives you permission to record it is legal. You give yourself permission to record to record your conversations, you do not need the other parties permission, and no need to tell them you are recording.

If you are party to the conversation, you may give yourself permission to record converstaion that otherwise might be deemed to be private. Words spoken in public have no such expectation of privacy and may be redorded w/o permission.

Cite to Virginia, one party recording state:
http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law

Virginia Code § 19.2-61

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If nothing else that spotlight incident is harassment. While it may be too late to do much good about that incident, you will never get anything resolved unless you act against what you believe are inappropriate behaviors on the part of FXPD. Formal, written complaints submitted to Internal Affairs. Civil suits alleging violation of rights (and the old sawabout "I can't afford it" may not stand up, depending on several things).

stay safe.