• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry may have saved her life

golightly00

imported post

I copied this directly from the website,
Guide to Firearms Use on the Chattahoochee and Oconee National Forests
The possession and use of firearms on the forest is governed by state and federal law. While every eventuality cannot be addressed, the following is an overview of these laws as they affect the two national forests in Georgia.
Target Shooting
While we encourage persons participating in target shooting to practice on the national forests’ shooting ranges, it is possible to target shoot in areas of the forest (outside of shooting ranges) with some restrictions.
The following are prohibited on the Chattahoochee and Oconee National Forest.
Discharging a firearm within 50 yards of an open public road as well as on or across a forest system road.
Discharging a firearm within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area.
Discharging a firearm on or across a body of water except when engaged in legal hunting, such as duck hunting.
Discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle.
Discharging a firearm into or within a cave.
Discharging a firearm in a manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage (provide for safe bullet impact area).
Transporting a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle.
Possession of a firearm in any Federal building or facility (prohibited even with a state concealed carry permit) {18 USC 930}.
Littering (remove all trash including targets and spent shell casings)
In addition to the above mentioned laws and regulations, the carrying of a firearm on your person is governed primarily by state law.  These laws can be viewed in the online version of the Georgia Code. Expand Title 16---Chapter 11---Article 4---Parts 1, 2, & 3
Ten Commandments of Firearms Safety
Control the direction of the firearm’s muzzle.  Keep the safety on and fingers off the trigger at all times until ready to shoot.
Identify the target and what is beyond it before shooting.  Know the identifying features of the game hunted and be absolutely certain that what you are aiming at is that game.
Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
Be sure the barrel and action are clear of obstructions and that only the proper size of ammunition is used in the firearm.
Always unload a firearm when it is not in use, leave the actions open, carry empty firearms in a case to and from shooting areas.
Never aim a firearm at anything that you do not intend to shoot.  Avoid all horseplay with a firearm.
Never climb a tree or fence, or jump a ditch or log, with a loaded firearm.  Never pull a firearm towards you by the muzzle.
Never shoot a bullet at a flat, hard surface or at water.  Make sure backstops are adequate during target practice.
Store firearms and ammunition separately and beyond the reach of children and careless adults.
Avoid all alcoholic beverages and drugs before and during shooting.

golightly00

imported post

Grapeshot, how did she know it wasn't us? Well we were standing right next to her talking to her as she continued to get new messages from the number with a (773) area code. I didn't notify police, don't know if she did either, I dropped her off and left. Of course I took my friend with me.

Aaron1124

imported post

So because he originally forgot to mention he that he took his friend with him = made up story. I guess he should have said "My friend came with me" to make it legit, huh?

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

Well to be fair to the people calling BS, it's not like there isn't precedent for new posters to show up with BS stories; such as the "I totally triple tapped some gangbangers" guy from a month ago. Of course it is rare for the trolls to actually stick around and defend themselves, so he has that going for him. And trolls usually end up contradicting themselves, or other tell-tale signs of BS'ing, which the OP has so far avoided.

CraigC178

imported post

Assuming that the story is true... it seems to me that the OP was the one saved by open carry, not the woman. My gut says that her asking if he was alone was to find out if he was a viable target for an accomplice.

Packer fan

imported post

I have a question *I'm raising my hand*

What were the text like after she made contact with you? If they could see her as you said then the texting should have changed after contact. As in, "I can see you with those two men and one has what looks like GUN, Darn."

I also wonder if she even noticed your firearm if she was that scared.

Bebog

imported post

CraigC178 wrote:
Assuming that the story is true... it seems to me that the OP was the one saved by open carry, not the woman. My gut says that her asking if he was alone was to find out if he was a viable target for an accomplice.
Bingo! That has been my thought from the beginning. "Are you alone" sure is a strange question to ask when you are desperate for help. There have been a couple instances I am personally aware of where a strange woman comes banging on a person's door yelling for help. Once the door is opened, in rushes others which leads to robbery and assault. I know two people this happened to in a town close by and fortunately they survived the attack. I do not doubt what the poster said happened as much as I doubt if he realized what the true intent was.

markand

imported post

GoLightly, folks here are cautious about trolls. You have a low post count and that raises the level of skepticism, no matter who you are or what event you're sharing.

Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. Take a look at my list of encounters, fifth post down: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/8581.html

I couldn't make that stuff up.

I, for one, accept your account at face value. I'm glad you acted as you did. Well done. And welcome to OCDO.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bebog wrote:
CraigC178 wrote:
Bingo! That has been my thought from the beginning. "Are you alone" sure is a strange question to ask when you are desperate for help. There have been a couple instances I am personally aware of where a strange woman comes banging on a person's door yelling for help. Once the door is opened, in rushes others which leads to robbery and assault. I know two people this happened to in a town close by and fortunately they survived the attack. I do not doubt what the poster said happened as much as I doubt if he realized what the true intent was.

Well, this certainly suggests a reply if it ever happens to me.

Just talk intomy lapel,shouting, "I got her Lieutenant!She's right her and just asked me. Send in the choppers for the airsearchfor her accomplices.Throw up the road-blocks!"

okboomer

imported post

I don't know ... my mother, me and my sister were stalked back in the late 1970's ... it turned out to be a former student of hers (high school teacher). Hang-ups, that only started as soon as we walked in the house, and stopped as soon as mother got home. Obviously the stalker had a view of the front of the house. Which also made us wonder if he was going through the mail that stayed outside all day.

Then, about 7 years ago, undocumented worker in my home town confronted my significant other that he was going to 'take her away from you and marry her.' Right in front of me. At least the first time this happened (mid1980's) the guy only approached me, and not my husband. Evidently my personality attracts some men strongly enough that they will do outrageous things. I have had men 30-40 years older than me proposition me, promising things such as inheritances and such. Sometimes it is flattering, a lot of times it is frightening ... especially when I consider how easy it is to ambush someone.

Also, the question about whether he was there alone, most sexual predators (which is probably what she was dealing with) are generally lone operators, and finding out that he was there with a friend would move him out of the POS category fairly quickly.

groats

imported post

markand wrote:
GoLightly, folks here are cautious about trolls. 

Cautious? Sounds to me more like full-blown paranoia.

Questioning how did someone get her phone number?
Ever hear of stalkers? Maybe someone she works with,
ex boyfriend, neighbor?

I was GOING to post my completely true tale of self-defense, but I can't be bothered. Too many people who have nothing better to do than dream up all sorts of BS reasons it "could not have happened".

Loneviking

imported post

One suggestion for something like this is to turn off the cell phone and remove the battery. The phone can't be tracked at that point and then you can really disappear.

groats

imported post

Loneviking wrote:
One suggestion for something like this is to turn off the cell phone and remove the battery.  The phone can't be tracked at that point and then you can really disappear.

?
You think the average stalker has access to the cell-phone GPS or triangulation data?

All this would do is make it impossible to call police when the stalker attacks - a stalker who, by the way, was apparently WATCHING her - all you need is eyes for that.

ridgerunner98570

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Not sure why no one used her phone to notify police. Text messages are traceable, no?

Asked if I am the only person there? My ambush antennae would go way up on that one. "No ma'am. The rest of my platoon is spread out nearby, ready to execute a single-envelopment assault on this exact spotright here. Air-support is already on station." No reason at all that might not have been a set up. At least reading it here without seeing all the indications a witness would.

Drive her home? The OP has more courage than me."No, ma'am. Stay away from me. Give me your phone and I will call a ranger for you.Lets walk over here where I can get some cover behind those rocks."

And, why would she be out in the woods herself, with no car at the trailhead or something?

I don'tquite follow.
I agree. My spidey sense went off the Richter scale there. I worked for the Forest Service and had a very similar thing happen. I called it in by radio and notified the sheriff's office before I gave her a ride out of the woods. My first thought was how did she get there if she can't get out, and she said someone was following her. It all just didn't add up. But I turned her over to the sheriff so all was good. That was 20 years ago.

Oh and to add to his story, I believe it did happen. The girl I picked up was running and screaming (although it sounded more like squeaking) and was in panic mode. I was in plain clothes and she could not see my vehicle so she did not know I was Forest Service until I took her to my rig. And then radioed it in. But she came willingly with me not knowing if I had been with whoever was chasing her. This happened on the Cowlitz river trail just upstream from Jody's Bridge in Packwood Washington. Women are taught to reach out for help when they are in danger.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Loneviking wrote:
One suggestion for something like this is to turn off the cell phone and remove the battery. The phone can't be tracked at that point and then you can really disappear.
It wouldn't matter in this case. According to the OP the woman could be seen by the stalker at the time of the texting.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
it's not that hard to get somebodies phone number if you know the right people or have the patience to do some legwork.

and besides........aren't alot of rapes and crimes done by people that know your or friends of friends??? all it takes is a friend of a friend to get personal information on a victim.

+1

How many cell phones are lost and stolen on a daily basis in the US every day? I do not own a cell but I suspect most folks who do have them loaded-up with numbers of friends, family, coworkers, etc. I have no idea if the incident the OP claims happened or not...I'm just sayn'.

Beliveau

imported post

Good story, thanks for sharing. It means a lot to measure body language and evaluate, and the OP was obviously on alert for any possibility.

Im new to this board but a little concerned over the number of armchair quarterbacks that jump on and yell "BS" right away. Its ok to raise questions and debate but the tone appears almost universally "I know better" and very dismissive.

Helps to know that you've had a bunch of trolls, and glad everyone is on guard, but.. man.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CraigC178 wrote:
Bingo.

The accomplice never showed because the gun did.

"Are you alone?"

"Does it matter? I have a gun!"

Fake problem averted.

Real set-up averted.

OC wins.

And the biggest flag... If she's receiving messages from someone in the woods whom she cannot identify, how does she know it isn't you? I mean, you're a bad evil man because you have a gun, right? Absolutely no concern that you might be the one sending those messages? Scream?? I know lots of women with fragile minds, but scream for no reason and run right towards the only person around who is probably the one sending the messages according to her own story? The decapitated girl she described was probably her last victim. Or, at least, the last one anyone knows about...

You are the ultimate mark, what a sucker.

I would have loved to hear how this story went for a CCer... The whole mess of that impending carjacking, I wonder how that would have played out, waiting until the last minute, when the sh!t has already hit the fan....

You didn't get her name, Mr. Hero Man? I'm willing to bet the messages came from her boyfriend's phone, which is why she was in no hurry to report it...

...if it even happened.